Hacking Help a Noob Out

csimmons222

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have modded a number of systems in the past but this is my first Wii U. I don't mind reading and I am hoping some of you more knowledgeable guys / gals can help this noob out.

I have read over the tutorial on modding the Wii U and using Haxchi. I'd like to play Wii U and Wii games, as well as GameCube, N64, SNES, NES, etc. I would also like to store the games on an external HD.

I have read some conflicting information in regard to the size of the external hard drive that can be used with the Wii U. Am I limited to 2 TB or can I go larger? Ideally, I would like to have a large catalog of games for all of the systems noted above stored on one hard drive but it would take up more than 2 TB.

I have read about the virtual console and injecting games. Could someone provide me with a high-level explanation of these things?

Feel free to point to me to other posts. I don't mind reading. I just know that the modding scene can evolve rather quickly and I don't want to be accidentally reading old posts that are no longer relevant.

Thanks for all your help!

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So the best and most complete guide to use is Kaflukes (https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-community-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/)

Well, inorder for the Wii U to use a USB-HDD to store Wii U games it formats it into it's own proprietory format, which will only utilize 2TB even if the drive is larger than 2TB. The second thing is that on this format you can't store anything other than installed Wii U games so you can't have a shared drive for NES --> Wii U.

Ideally you could store NES, SNES and N64 roms on a SD card, That would roughly take up 5 GB to contain the entire US-collection. These roms would then be played via Retroarch.
Then for Wii U games, Wii games and GC games, you could install them to the Wii U homemenu. Most Wii games and all GC-games would need to be so called injects, where you make them your self (or find them somewhere in an installable format) To make your own you would use this program (https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/) There is a catch to this however, the Wii U menu only allows for 300 games to be installed at once, (however do you really need more than this?) and as of now there is no workaround for this.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Is this guide not better for beginners?
Well that guide may have been used by many, there was a time when alot of people had a bunch of different problems, the common link between these? --> That guide.

However I know that Pilalect refreshed the guide, but still, it doesn't explain why you do things really, from my experience there are far fewer people ending up with problems after following Kafluke's guide than the Wii U guide

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Well that guide may have been used by many, there was a time when alot of people had a bunch of different problems, the common link between these? --> That guide.

However I know that Pilalect refreshed the guide, but still, it doesn't explain why you do things really, from my experience there are far fewer people ending up with problems after following Kafluke's guide than the Wii U guide
I can also tell you why there are problems. This is simply because people just cant read properly. They just mod their consoles without actually knowing what they're doing. The best example is the use of CBHC. Everywhere is written that the "Do not touch me" icon should neither be moved to USB nor deleted. Nevertheless, there is a list of the whole bricked Wii U consoles. Would be easy to avoid if the user would finally start to read. The resulting errors are 90% user errors. Nothing else. And all these "rules" are also in the guide which I have linked. Of course, your guide may also be informative. Only he would be too confusing for me as a beginner.

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I can also tell you why there are problems. This is simply because people just cant read properly. They just mod their consoles without actually knowing what they're doing. The best example is the use of CBHC. Everywhere is written that the "Do not touch me" icon should neither be moved to USB nor deleted. Nevertheless, there is a list of the whole bricked Wii U consoles. Would be easy to avoid if the user would finally start to read. The resulting errors are 90% user errors. Nothing else. And all these "rules" are also in the guide which I have linked. Of course, your guide may also be informative. Only he would be too confusing for me as a beginner.

In the end it is the users choice which guide to follow. However CBHC bricks was not my main concern, the WiiU-guide recomended the use of redNAND for a long time, which due to it's early stages in development never became perfectly stable and was prone to corruption. Alot of user experienced their redNAND no longer working, and in that they lost saves etc. When these people were asked why they were using redNAND the answer was simply that the guide told them to, i.e. there was no user error for this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM