Hacking Haxchi, cbhc, mocha confused

icw35

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, I've read it droped support for config.txt, but then I'm confused for people who don't want to use CBHC (not CHBC, think about "Cold Boot"), and want to run Haxchi channel manually to boot different homebrew...
is it droped in 2.3 only ?
can we use v2.2 with CBHC?

I'm not sure and will have to re-read haxchi or CBHC release thread.
Github still provides a link to the full config.txt button mapping, and the sources still have them. so I'm not sure it's dropped.

The way I understand it, CBHC does not use config.txt as not needed. So if you still want haxchi after booting from CBHC, get another DS game (now you don't need to buy it because you can fake sign it), overwrite this new fake DS with haxchi and use a config.txt with this new haxchi. DO NOT TOUCH the original haxchi (as this will brick apparently).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Cyan if I am on sysnand, boot haxchi to HBL and select mocha (for sysnand) will this just be a temporary patch like running fw.img? If I then turn the WiiU off and back on, I will be back to my default WiiU image? I don't want to install anything/change any system XML files.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Cyan if I am on sysnand, boot haxchi to HBL and select mocha (for sysnand) will this just be a temporary patch like running fw.img? If I then turn the WiiU off and back on, I will be back to my default WiiU image? I don't want to install anything/change any system XML files.
yes, you will be back to the original firmware after a reboot.

If you have HBL launched by default with haxchi, you can select Mocha from HBL.
if you want (and config.txt is still working with haxchi launched manually from a channel, can someone confirm? it's confused right now what really happened to config.txt), you can set a button to load mocha directly without going into HBL first.

Mocha has a patch to "repatch" the firmware when exiting the settings, so you can only unload the patches with a hard reboot.

icw35

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

If you have HBL launched by default with haxchi, you can select Mocha from HBL.
if you want (and config.txt is still working with haxchi launched manually from a channel, can someone confirm? it's confused right now what really happened to config.txt), you can set a button to load mocha directly without going into HBL first.

Mocha has a patch to "repatch" the firmware when exiting the settings, so you can only unload the patches with a hard reboot.

Thank you kind sir. I'm off to play :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So I just booted into mocha (on sysnand). But I can't connect via ftpii. All the games work OK.

::Phoenix::

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

if you want (and config.txt is still working with haxchi launched manually from a channel, can someone confirm? it's confused right now what really happened to config.txt)
As far as I can see from FIX's code, when built in CBHC mode, the payload Haxchi is loading is the one containing the hardcoded choice menu, so if you installed CBHC (and not plain Haxchi), you effectivelly loose support for a config.txt. As for now, if someone wants support for config.txt and coldboot, has to install plain Haxchi and make it coldboot, which for example, is what my coldboot installer does. Unfortunately, plain Haxchi (and my Haxchi fork as well), miss the code that prevents the double boot of cfws. So, one has to port this patch to plain Haxchi (which I don't think it is the right thing to do, since Haxchi is meant to be booted manually from the home menu).

The best thing would be that the CBHC coiche menu would let the user see the list of installed homebrews in the sd card, and pick one of them as autoboot.

Last edited by ::Phoenix::,
Reactions: Cyan

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I specifically made that cut indeed to just have the selection menu in CBHC, since it adds so little bootup time I figured if you REALLY have to boot something afterwards you can just use the homebrew launcher channel or something to get to the next thing which again, is quite fast since the homebrew launcher channel also starts really quick.

Reactions: memomo

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I specifically made that cut indeed to just have the selection menu in CBHC, since it adds so little bootup time I figured if you REALLY have to boot something afterwards you can just use the homebrew launcher channel or something to get to the next thing which again, is quite fast since the homebrew launcher channel also starts really quick.
What do you think of letting the menu show the list of homebrews in the sd card? The user could just pick one and set it as autoboot. This way, maybe CBHC would need less updates, if something new comes out.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks, now I understand after reading more info about it.
it's not boot -> CBHC -> haxchi
CBHC is in fact haxchi, acting differently

you have either :
boot -> haxchi (launch manually, or autoboot by editing system.xml yourself, or with phoenix installer)
OR
boot -> CBHC (replaces haxchi with hardcoded boot options, prevents firmware reload, etc.)

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
thanks, now I understand after reading more info about it.
it's not boot -> CBHC -> haxchi
CBHC is in fact haxchi, acting differently

you have either :
boot -> haxchi (launch manually, or autoboot by editing system.xml yourself, or with phoenix installer)
OR
boot -> CBHC (replaces haxchi with hardcoded boot options)
That's correct.

To be more precise, if haxchi denotes the name of the exploit. Then
Boot -> haxchi -> coldboot choice menu
Boot -> haxchi -> config enabled select menu

Last edited by ::Phoenix::,

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What do you think of letting the menu show the list of homebrews in the sd card? The user could just pick one and set it as autoboot. This way, maybe CBHC would need less updates, if something new comes out.
the thing is, the CBHC menu runs in JIT and user-mode only and in a DS VC that doesnt even have SD access.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the thing is, the CBHC menu runs in JIT and user-mode only and in a DS VC that doesnt even have SD access.
If you like it, no reason to change it then. Just as a technical question: even though CBHC is runing in usermode, it is going to run the IOSU exploit anyway, so the sd card should be accessible. Right?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you like it, no reason to change it then. Just as a technical question: even though CBHC is runing in usermode, it is going to run the IOSU exploit anyway, so the sd card should be accessible. Right?
after doing it if I were to include a heavily modified libiosuhax build I guess it may be possible to force-mount it globally? but in all honesty the smaller and faster the better, especially on coldboot.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is it possible to change the default boot option from cbhc? I have chosen to boot to system menu by default but i would like to know if there is a keypress or something to stop autoboot and choose another option.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Is it possible to change the default boot option from cbhc? I have chosen to boot to system menu by default but i would like to know if there is a keypress or something to stop autoboot and choose another option.
EDIT: See FIX94's... well, fix below, I was wrong.

Last edited by SomeGamer,

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
as I wrote in my post about cbhc, pressing either home on any controller or the sync button on the console itself while the autoboot text is on screen will cancel it.

Reactions: MSco

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the cbhc and autoboot mocha and get a -5, is there a way to fix this? What is the correct pathway to mocha? It appears it cant locate it, but i have it installed.

Last edited by wicksand420,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users