Hacking Having difficulties with Metroid Prime Trilogy

Mr_Bones

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've been having some difficulties with Metroid Prime Trilogy, and was directed here after seeking advice on r/WiiHacks. To give the short version;

-Hacked Wii back in 2012, never updated the IOS files

-Attempted to run MPT via USB Loader GX

-Ran into trouble

-Followed a guide for ModMii to update IOS files

-Added cIOS d2x v8 Final

-Disabled NAND MEmory Emulation (This caused problems with save files)

Before I'd done all this, Metroid Prime Trilogy would crash on loading any of the titles, and just freeze, and the controller would lose connection to the Wii. Afterwards, I got a result of sorts, in that it would kick me to the Wii Home Menu instead of just freezing. I've considered that my issue was simply a bad rip, and tried two different sources for MPT, one was NTSC, the other was PAL.

I can also provide further details as needed, such as system diagnostics and such. Ideally, I'd like to have an archived and recorded solution for this, as I've googled it and found absolutely nothing, and I've seen more than a few threads around where someone had an issue with no resolution, or it just mysteriously started working, with no solution provided.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if it kicks you to system menu, it means it can't find the game file.
two possibilities :

1. your drive is not compatible, or you are using a flash drive (not the best choice).
2. you incorrectly, or didn't, install the cIOS, or replaced it AFTER installing it successfully.

inside USBLoaderGX, go to settings>credit, look at the top.
it should tell you this :
USBLoaderGX r1262, cIOS 249 d2x v8 final base 57.

if it's not telling you v8 final base57, the problem is cIOS.
if it's that, the problem is your drive.

It could be one of the loader setting that you messed without knowing it. if you touched and changed many things you don't understand, it's possible you edited wrong settings.
you can try to reset the settings. (settings>reset)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Mr_Bones

Mr_Bones

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I'm sure if the cIOS install was the problem, I'd have a bigger issue in not being able to play anything at all. I wouldn't be too surprised if it's the HDD, and I have a bunch of very small hard drives of varying models I can test with. I've been saving that for last though, as it'd be a real pain to set up a second hard drive for just one or two games, but I'll give it a go.

Under Credits:
Rev 1262 IOS249 (Rev 21008) + AHB
(d2x v8final base57)

As for the Drive, I need to pop it out of the External case, but I'm pretty sure it's a Seagate 2 TB, with 2 partitions, one is WBFS and holds all my WBFS/ISO titles (MPT is an ISO), and the other is a FAT32 for Gamecube games. This is something I've been meaning to fix. The reason for it is that at the time I found WBFS Manager was the only way to get games onto the Hard Drive and actually run them, until I discovered Wii BAckup Manager, which is an infinitely superior tool. At some point, I'll just draw it all off off the hard drive, reformat it to the best option, and dump it back on. This may even be a problem.

I'll dig around my HDDs and see if I have anything that'll work for this.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the credit's info are good.

Ah, it was only a problem for specific games? I thought all your games didn't work.
If it's only some games, then it's not the HDD.

It could be a bad/corrupted ISO. did you test the game with Wii Backup Manager's Sha1 option ?

if your drive is or was WBFS, there's a high chance your games are corrupted without you knowing it.
old WBFS managers used a library with a bug on the game management. when you delete a game, it incorrectly marked other game's data as deleted and "free to overwrite". when adding a new game, you lost part of existing games :(
If you ever used "wbfs manager", you should check all your games, even the working ones.

If you want to keep the WBFS partition format, you should use Wii Backup Manager, or Wit/Wwt tools.
But I recommend going to FAT32 and dumping or using proper and verified ISO.

Last edited by Cyan,

Jim009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After working on this half a day on a newly modded system, I was able to have it working but with a slight problem.
I installed:
v10 beta 53, exactly: d2x-v10-beta53-alt
base: 56
slot: 249

The USB_Loader is with default settings.

Result:
The game runs only from a USB stick and not from my external hard drive where I have the other games. I tested MP1 and MP3. From the external HDD it gets stuck on loading on all three games with no control response where I have to hard reset the system.

As Cyan pointed out, it could work with v8 too but I have to test it.

My external hard drive is a Seagate2TB running with a Y-cable adapter. It runs fine all other games except this one.

If anyone has any ideas. I'll be grateful. Thanks everyone.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d2x v10-Beta53 is really flaky and you probably shouldn't use it. Use v8 or v10-beta52.

MPT doesn't work with emulated NAND saves so you need to make sure you have your loader set to use real NAND. (All emulation off)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol