• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Most time they were jokes that were perfectly acceptable 10, 20, 50 years ago. Holding people up to modern standards is stupid. Also there is a blatant double standard. Be racist towards white people? Nobody cares in fact these same people will throw you a party.
Just because something was "acceptable" 50 years ago doesn't make it okay lmao, segregation existed 60 years ago and that was deemed "acceptable" that doesn't make it okay. We should always hold people to modern standards because we live in modern times. I'm not gonna say racism is okay just because it was "acceptable" 50 years ago, that makes no sense. Of course, there is a double standard and of course, that is a problem, but BIPOC being racist towards White people doesn't make it okay for White people to be racist against BIPOC people. Everyone should be held accountable for their racism.

If you're trying to argue against the points I made, you're making a very bad case.

Reactions: AmandaRose

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Just because something was "acceptable" 50 years ago doesn't make it okay lmao, segregation existed 60 years ago and that was deemed "acceptable" that doesn't make it okay. We should always hold people to modern standards because we live in modern times. I'm not gonna say racism is okay just because it was "acceptable" 50 years ago, that makes no sense. Of course, there is a double standard and of course, that is a problem, but BIPOC being racist towards White people doesn't make it okay for White people to be racist against BIPOC people. Everyone should be held accountable for their racism.

If you're trying to argue against the points I made, you're making a very bad case.

I wasn't and I was taking more about jokes or comment not an actual crime. You know those things that don't harm anyone. I would disagree on holding up people to modern standards because that very same thing will happen to you in 30 years when a joke or comment that was fine 30 years ago now causes you to lose everything you ever built; to a mob that is uncaring and total hypocrites. Honestly fuck these people; they go around acting like some moral puritans yet will dox you, harass acting like the very fascist they claim to fight against.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If people didn't care about cancel culture, there would be no cancel culture and there would be no issue.

Realistically, who is being blacklisted? People who have been racist in the past like Jenna Marbles and Jimmy Kimmel should be held accountable for their racism, they should address their own racism and they should show growth and change, people who have done these things are not the ones getting blacklisted.

If you are called out for racism, and you double down and continue to be racist, you deserve to be blacklisted, simple as that. If you can't take accountability and grow from your actions then employers have no obligation to employ you. no one wants to hire a racist, racism has no place in modern society.
The first paragraph doesn't make sense. Thats like saying if blacks didn't care about police brutality there would be no police brutality and there would be no issue.

If you think Jenna Marbles was being racist and is a threat to black lives and/or is preventing blacks from achieving their full potential because of her racism then you are crazy. There is no nicer way to say it.

And if you think she is not a threat to blacks and/or not holding blacks back from social success, then why in the hell are you calling her actions racist. She is not a Karen running around yelling at black people for being black, she is not a racist person. Her actions weren't made with racist intent. A persons intent matters most. She is a person who made parody videos for peoples entertainment. She should not be anyone's concern, the white racist holding a gun against a black man and shoots at him because he's black is what you should be worried about. Not Jenna Marbles.

Jenna Marbles had to take a break from youtube because of all the negativity she was getting. This shows you are far people are taking this. Its not a minor learn from your mistakes 10 years ago with type of content she doesn't make anymore. She a different person now. People in cancel culture are just assholes that don't want people to grow. They are people with no lives at all, constantly monitoring and diging up old stuff from way back when because they have nothing better to do and want to shit on you all day.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: ChronoTrig

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are in era where comedians cant be comedians with racial jokes. Thats pretty much how I see it. Jenna is getting flamed b/c she basically cosplayed a famous black woman for her parody. The "black face" bit is just an overreaction its not the same as the Halloween Black face mask incident. Are we just going to ignore the fact that Robert Downey Jr played Tropic Thunder as a black man for comedy? Which he did a great job of that character btw.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't and I was taking more about jokes or comment not an actual crime. You know those things that don't harm anyone. I would disagree on holding up people to modern standards because that very same thing will happen to you in 30 years when a joke or comment that was fine 30 years ago now causes you to lose everything you ever built; to a mob that is uncaring and total hypocrites. Honestly fuck these people; they go around acting like some moral puritans yet will dox you, harass acting like the very fascist they claim to fight against.
I was talking about jokes and comments as well, not actual crime. Racist jokes and comments aren't okay, they weren't okay back then to the people they hurt and they aren't okay now either. The only difference between now and then is that society is starting to realize the effect that racist "jokes and comments" have on people.

Racists deserve everything they get, they can lose their jobs or get mobbed or anything, I could care less. They made the choice to be racist, and they face the consequences of their actions.

A simple solution to being canceled is thus: don't be racist. It's as simple as that, don't be racist and you won't be canceled. If you do get canceled, address where you went wrong and change and grow from that. I have no sympathy for people who refuse to grow out of their racism.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
We are in era where comedians cant be comedians with racial jokes. Thats pretty much how I see it. Jenna is getting flamed b/c she basically cosplayed a famous black woman for her parody. The "black face" bit is just an overreaction its not the same as the Halloween Black face mask incident. Are we just going to ignore the fact that Robert Downey Jr played Tropical Thunder as a black man for comedy? Which he did a great job of that character btw.
Apparently according to seliph yes Robert Downey Jr would be a racist that needs to repent his sins. If he thinks Jenna Marbles doing a parody of Niki Minaj is racist.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Apparently according to seliph yes Robert Downey Jr would be a racist that needs to repent his sins.
Well, Robert Downey Jr seems to be doing alright right now, he seems to have grown out of his racism so I have no problem with him.

Jenna Marbles had to take a break from youtube because of all the negativity she was getting. This shows you are far people are taking this. Its not a minor learn from your mistakes 10 years ago with type of content she doesn't make anymore. She a different person now. People in cancel culture are just assholes that don't want people to grow. They are people with no lives at all, constantly monitoring and diging up old stuff from way back when because they have nothing better to do and want to shit on you all day.
Same thing with Jenna Marbles, she has taken accountability for her racist actions and has addressed them. I have no problem with her.

Obviously cancel mobs are stupid, but if you're getting canceled, it's probably for a good reason. If you're being canceled, you should listen, evaluate what you've done, learn from it, and then demonstrate growth. I'm not saying everyone who has been canceled is a terrible person or that they should have even been canceled in the first place. It's valuable to point out racist behavior, and if someone who exhibits racist behavior chooses to continue to be racist despite being called out, they deserve all the hell they get.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Well, Robert Downey Jr seems to be doing alright right now, he seems to have grown out of his racism so I have no problem with him.

Same thing with Jenna Marbles, she has taken accountability for her racist actions and has addressed them. I have no problem with her.

Obviously cancel mobs are stupid, but if you're getting canceled, it's probably for a good reason. If you're being canceled, you should listen, evaluate what you've done, learn from it, and then demonstrate growth. I'm not saying everyone who has been canceled is a terrible person or that they should have even been canceled in the first place. It's valuable to point out racist behavior, and if someone who exhibits racist behavior chooses to continue to be racist despite being called out, they deserve all the hell they get.
The difference between Jenna and Robert is Robert never apologized. So I don't get this grown out of racism. There is no racism to grow out of when there is no racist intent in the first place.

Black people dont give a shit. I was talking with my black friends the other day how they love Downey Jr role in tropic thunder, they thinks he's hilarious. Its white people that care about this more then black people. They care about actual issues, not stupid bullshit parody stuff. Have you ever seen the cartoon show Boondocks, or Key and Peele. They love this shit. Even Hispanics seeing black people like Key and Peele doing parody of Hispanics love it. Minorities don't give a shit. Unless you think Key and Peele are racist.

Mob mentality. The angry mob isn't always right. The angry mobs that held back scientific progress in the past wasn't always right. You even admit yourself they are stupid. If you are getting canceled over a ridiculous thing its probably not a good reason.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Black people dont give a shit. I was talking with my black friends the other day how they love Downey Jr role in tropic thunder, they thinks he's hilarious. Its white people that care about this more then black people. They care about actual issues, not stupid bullshit parody stuff. Have you ever seen the cartoon show Boondocks, or Key and Peele. They love this shit. Even Hispanics seeing black people like Key and Peele doing parody of Hispanics love it. Minorities don't give a shit. Unless you think Key and Peele are racist.

Yeah, and I know BIPOC who DO give a shit, what's your point? Your black friends don't represent all black people.

The difference between Jenna and Robert is Robert never apologized. So I don't get this grown out of racism. There is no racism to grow out of when there is no racist intent in the first place.

Oh, I made the assumption that he apologized. That's my bad and I retract my statement. Robert Downey Jr's blackface was racist, and his defense of that racism is itself racist.

Mob mentality. The angry mob isn't always right. The angry mobs that held back scientific progress in the past wasn't always right. You even admit yourself they are stupid. If you are getting canceled over a ridiculous thing its probably not a good reason.

Obviously the mob isn't always right, but sometimes they are, especially when it comes to racism because racism is very obvious and easy to point out. That's why I said, "If you're being canceled, you should listen, evaluate what you've done". Listen, because sometimes they DO have a point. If you're being called racist, it is probably for good reason and it is your job to either clarify what you've done or apologize. Racism is a serious accusation and should be treated as such.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Yeah, and I know BIPOC who DO give a shit, what's your point? Your black friends don't represent all black people.

Oh, I made the assumption that he apologized. That's my bad and I retract my statement. Robert Downey Jr's blackface was racist, and his defense of that racism is itself racist.

Obviously the mob isn't always right, but sometimes they are, especially when it comes to racism because racism is very obvious and easy to point out. That's why I said, "If you're being canceled, you should listen, evaluate what you've done". Listen, because sometimes they DO have a point. If you're being called racist, it is probably for good reason and it is your job to either clarify what you've done or apologize. Racism is a serious accusation and should be treated as such.
So is it racist or not racist? If one black group says its racist and another says its not. Do we treat it as racist or not racist? Whats the correct answer? And I don't believe that your black friends actually think Downey Jr is racist. You made that up.

If you think Downey Jr is racist and don't see the satire you are a fuckin crazy person that has never seen the movie.

Do you think Key and Peele are racist for doing parody of Hispanics? A White/Black mixed comedians. You would have to.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Cancel culture isn't a thing. It's the Twitterverse which people are taking issue with, and that only has as much power as people choose to give it. Of course, it doesn't help that even the president is obsessed with the platform. Cancel Twitter, I say. And Facebook too while we're at it.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So is it racist or not racist? If one black group says its racist and another says its not. Do we treat it as racist or not racist? And I don't believe that your black friends actually think Downey Jr is racist. You made that up.

If you think Downey Jr is racist and don't see the satire you are a fuckin crazy person that has never seen the movie.

Do you think Key and Peele are racist for doing parody of Hispanics? A White/Black mixed comedians. You would have to.

After considering some things, I don't think it's racist, I didn't know the context of Robert Downey Jr's character in his movie, nor have I actually seen the movie. I never said my friends think he's racist, I just said that I know BIPOC that think he's racist for it, I've seen people on Twitter calling him racist for that, literally just search up Tropic Thunder on Twitter and you'll find Black people calling it racist.

The Key and Peele thing is satire as well, so similarly I don't think I'd call that racist.

The fact of the matter though is that you've derailed this conversation. I was talking about actual racism and not satire (though satire can be racist, depending on how it's done however in the above cases I do not think the satire is racist). The people who have been canceled for doing blackface like Jenna Marbles didn't do it for satire, and that's not a debate.

I'm now going to copy and paste my original argument which you failed to address:

To add onto this, I'm not advocating for cancel culture, because I do think it is harmful. What I am saying however is that just because cancel culture is generally bad, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to call people out for being racist and that these racist people shouldn't have consequences. Twitter is an environment where canceling is very easy to do, and the media will latch onto any info they can get that makes them money. Instead of just saying "cancel culture is stupid and ruining lives" you should also be understanding why it exists and combating that, not denying and excusing the actions of legitimately racist people who are affected by cancel culture. Cancel culture isn't your enemy, it's the social media and news media that perpetuates cancel culture that SHOULD be your enemy.

Last edited by Seliph,

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
After considering some things, I don't think it's racist, I didn't know the context of Robert Downey Jr's character in his movie, nor have I actually seen the movie. I never said my friends think he's racist, I just said that I know BIPOC that think he's racist for it, I've seen people on Twitter calling him racist for that, literally just search up Tropic Thunder on Twitter and you'll find Black people calling it racist.

The Key and Peele thing is satire as well, so similarly I don't think I'd call that racist.

The fact of the matter though is that you've derailed this conversation. I was talking about actual racism and not satire (though satire can be racist, depending on how it's done however in the above cases I do not think the satire is racist). The people who have been canceled for doing blackface like Jenna Marbles didn't do it for satire, and that's not a debate.

I'm now going to copy and paste my original argument which you failed to address:

To add onto this, I'm not advocating for cancel culture, because I do think it is harmful. What I am saying however is that just because cancel culture is generally bad, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to call people out for being racist and that these racist people shouldn't have consequences. Twitter is an environment where canceling is very easy to do, and the media will latch onto any info they can get that makes them money. Instead of just saying "cancel culture is stupid and ruining lives" you should also be understanding why it exists and combating that, not denying and excusing the actions of legitimately racist people. Cancel culture isn't your enemy, it's the social media and news media that perpetuates cancel culture that SHOULD be your enemy.
So your opinion that Black people thinks Downey Jr is racist doesn't actually comes from real experience with black people but stuff you hear on the internet.

And there goes your problem. And there goes every white persons problem that tries to act like a white knight. They get a small opinion that is over exaggerated on the internet, because the internet makes things bigger then they actually are, probably a white person claiming to be black, just to justify their bullshit.

I knew you were talking out your ass and didn't see the movie when you were calling Downey Jr a racist. Considering the fact that I work with lots of real black people everyday and know what they say, and not internet black people. I'm not stupid and I can catch this shit.

Being a Hispanic minority myself and having the powers invested in me by the Cancel Culture mob that white knight for me over insignificant stuff, I can tell you one thing, we don't give a shit.

And I already explained to you the part you said I didn't address. Jena Marbles parodying Niki Minaj, she is parodying a rapper, people parody rapers all the time. This is what this whole thread is about. People getting canceled for ridiculous reasons. Obviously if someone is actually racist then we should call them out, that is a given. And of course just because cancel culture gets ridiculous doesnt mean we cant call out actual racism. Its so obvious that it shouldn't be said. This is not what this thread is about, it isn't about actual racists. Its about if this has gotten to far and calling out non racists, over very minor things. I know because I made the thread.

Last edited by SG854,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
And I already explained to you the part you said I didn't address. Jena Marbles parodying Niki Minaj, she is parodying a rapper, people parody rapers all the time. This is what this whole thread is about. People getting canceled for ridiculous reasons. Obviously if someone is actually racist then we should call them out, that is a given. And of course just because cancel culture gets ridiculous doesnt mean we cant call out actual racism. Its so obvious that it shouldn't be said. This is not what this thread is about, it isn't about actual racists. Its about if this has gotten to far and calling out non racists, over very minor things. I know because I made the thread.

Jenna Marbles parodying Nicki Minaj IS racist. There is no satire in that, she is not making any statement about racism or blackface. If you dress up as a Black person to mock them, that is racist. That is actual racism. You are excusing actual racism.

The difference between RDJ's blackface and Jenna Marble's blackface is that (as far as I can tell) RDJ's is intended to be a critique on Hollywood racism, Jenna Marbles' blackface is just used to mock and caricature Nicki Minaj, which is racist. Jenna Marbles has also done other racist things on YouTube as well, she's made derogatory comments mocking an Asian man. You can look this up. This is blatant racism, and it is indefensible.

Now Jenna Marbles has gone on record publicly apologizing for this, and obviously her racist actions in the past do not appear to represent who she is now so I forgive her. However, what you're doing is you're denying that the racist things she did were racist, and that's the problem. What Jenna Marbles did was actual racism no matter how you spin it.

Last edited by Seliph,
Reactions: Xzi

ChronoTrig

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread just shows me comedians are f##ked for being able to even make an act with how everyone is so quick to snap a challenged opinion on them when they're meant to be funny, enjoyable.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

ChronoTrig

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jenna Marbles parodying Nicki Minaj IS racist. There is no satire in that, she is not making any statement about racism or blackface. If you dress up as a Black person to mock them, that is racist. That is actual racism. You are excusing actual racism.

The difference between RDJ's blackface and Jenna Marble's blackface is that (as far as I can tell) RDJ's is intended to be a critique on Hollywood racism, Jenna Marbles' blackface is just used to mock and caricature Nicki Minaj, which is racist. Jenna Marbles has also done other racist things on YouTube as well, she's made derogatory comments mocking an Asian man. You can look this up. This is blatant racism, and it is indefensible.

Now Jenna Marbles has gone on record publicly apologizing for this, and obviously her racist actions in the past do not appear to represent who she is now so I forgive her. However, what you're doing is you're denying that the racist things she did were racist, and that's the problem. What Jenna Marbles did was actual racism no matter how you spin it.

You ever seen the movie White Chicks?
Are the Wayans' bros racist? lol

Reactions: gamesquest1

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You ever seen the movie White Chicks?
Are the Wayans' bros racist? lol
No, I haven't seen it but I've read it's problematic for a whole lot of reasons and whiteface isn't one of them.

Here's a link to a quote from Nick Cannon that I think sums up the matter pretty well. And here's another article on the subject.

Of course, Black people can be racist to White people in several ways, but whiteface isn't one of them. There are dangerous, racist roots in blackface that go back to the days of slavery and Jim Crow. There are no such roots in whiteface. Whiteface was created to directly counter and oppose the racism of blackface.

Last edited by Seliph,

ChronoTrig

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I haven't seen it but I've read it's problematic for a whole lot of reasons and whiteface isn't one of them.

Here's a link to a quote from Nick Cannon that I think sums up the matter pretty well. And here's another article on the subject.

Of course, Black people can be racist to White people in several ways, but whiteface isn't one of them. There are dangerous, racist roots in blackface that go back to the days of slavery and Jim Crow. There are no such roots in whiteface.

So if they dress up as full white it's not "white face"? Got it. Mind you, when all these people who don themselves with black face and pretend they're someone, it's intended as comedy, just as every race/culture does the same; it's intended to make the audience laugh. You can't appease everyone, unfortunately.

And that Nick Cannon link; because of whiteface; is more or less tit for tat even if he doesn't say it. Why continue to do something if not everyone can do it? Isn't that the whole point of this all? this is about moving forward in the future, not begrudging and then making one race to suffer because someone else did "60 years ago" as you stated and then make the new generation suffer for it.

Everyone, or just many people bandwagon and become hyperbolic to trying to ruin people, because XYZ. You're essentially wanting them to off themselves and not exist. Even Kevin Hart got beat up for comments he made years ago. No one can give their real opinion anymore either with that being said. You have to bandwagon or be stoned to death.

Last edited by ChronoTrig,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3