Gaming Harvest Moon on 3DS too glitched/buggy to purchase?

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an 8yo daughter who's getting a 3DS for Christmas. We've already got one 3DS in the house - it's technically mine but we all share it. We've got OOT and a NDogs/Cats, and we've already bought Super Mario 3D Land for Xmas which we'll also share. (And to give you an idea of the kind of gamer she is at 8yo, she just beat OOT. She got coaching, but she did it all herself.)

Anyway, in addition to the console she's also getting Mario Kart 7 and one other game. She wants Harvest Moon, but I've been reading about a freeze glitch. Is it so bad that I should talk her out of it?? She's really set on it and there isn't much else in the lineup so far that appeals to her (she's smart enough to know a crap game when she sees it - no fashion designer games for this kid). I know the same game is available on regular DS but the whole point is to get a 3DS game. Would Cooking Mama 4 be a better choice? Or is the Harvest Moon problem overblown???

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally have no clue about Harvest Moon 3DS, but imo you should just give it to her if she wants it for Christmas. As you said, she knows a crap game when she sees it, so just save the receipt. If the glitches are too much for her, just return it with the 100% valid excuse of "it's unplayable due to glitches".

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you shop at GameStop where they basically say suck it and give you 2% of its value as store credit. :P

OP are you sure you're talking about tale of two towns 3DS? It sounds like you read up on the original Harvest Moon for DS that's localization for the US was so horribly coded it caused a number of glitches: randomly freezing, deleting its save file, etc. Please post what you read or just check to make sure its about Harvest Mooon: Tale of two towns 3DS. :P

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Info on the Freeze

but what seems strange is not all copies are freezing

Possible Causes
-One theory is that the game doesn't dump old data properly, from the RAM.
http://www.gamefaqs....-towns/60881952
Status: Possibility, as the game is a port, and there is a definite possibility that Natsume coded it to run on DS and didn't foresee incompatibility on 3DS.

-Second theory is that the game doesn't process data smoothly, and uses part of the 3DS internal memory, which can be affected by how many DSiware and apps you are using.
http://www.gamefaqs....-towns/60881952
Status: Unlikely, as numerous reports go against it, such as freeze occurring with no DSi titles, or freeze occurring rarely with many DS apps installed.

-Third theory is that there was simply a (large) bad batch of copies manufactured, which feature the bug.
Status: Possibility, since the bug seems dispersed enough, and some people report not experiencing it at all.

Confirmed locations of freeze:
-2nd to 3rd Mountain map transition, from Bluebell to Konohana
-3rd to 2nd Mountain map transition, from Bluebell to Konohana
-1st to 2nd Mountain map transition, from Konohana to Bluebell
-Transition from Bluebell to Chicken festival
-Transition at Shipping Box in Bluebell

Speculative variables that may or not may cause freeze:
-Possibly more common for Bluebell residents.
Likelihood: Medium

-Possibly more likely when you are using the horse and cart
Likelihood: High

-Possibly less common or non-existent for having Auto-Run enabled (L button switch, circle pad makes you run, regardless of pressure)

-Possibly more likely to occur when running through maps quickly

-Possibly more likely during time-of-day transition (i.e. 12:59pm-1:00pm, sunset, etc)

-Possibly more likely the longer your playtime has gone on for (time you sat down and played, not the actual tallied up gametime)
Likelihood: High

-Possibly less likely to occur when 3DS display settings are lower, such as 3D and brightness
Likelihood: Low

Timeframes
Earliest Report: Spring 2 of first year
Latest Report: Spring of Year 2
Common Times of Day: circa 9:00am, 12:00pm-1:00PM
-No reports at night so far.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you shop at GameStop where they basically say suck it and give you 2% of its value as store credit. :P

OP are you sure you're talking about tale of two towns 3DS? It sounds like you read up on the original Harvest Moon for DS that's localization for the US was so horribly coded it caused a number of glitches: randomly freezing, deleting its save file, etc. Please post what you read or just check to make sure its about Harvest Mooon: Tale of two towns 3DS. :P

Yeah, it's the 3DS version of TOTT I'm talking about and Pong20302000's post above details the situation. I guess I'm just gonna explain the situation to her and let her decide. She's old enough to make that kind of decision for herself. But anyone who's got this game, I'd appreciate hearing from you as to whether you're having problems.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
If you can live with lags then go and buy it. ALL 3DS HM:TToTT lags period. Its a matter of luck when it comes to freezing. Some people reports zero freeze. I have just 1 freeze on year 1. And others freeze almost every other day.

But for me, go for it. Its a nice game.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any yet and I'm zipping all over the place when I play. I also say go for it. It's a fun game. And if the issues are too much you can always just go with the DS version, no 3D and no petting game, other than that it's supposed to be the same.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I could find it in stores I would own this. Made a thread about it in the past asking the same thing. May just buckle down and buy it online anyways, need to find a list of U.S. 3DS release.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's glitched like you said, you could also just buy the DS version instead. It's basically the same thing, the extras on the 3DS aren't that big of a difference. Personally, I didn't get a glitch yet.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I'm twenty days in, and the only issue I've ran into is the occasional slow down, which is normal for this game. No freeze ups yet.

Enjoying it so far, but it's just harvest moon, nothing groundbreaking here :P

Late Edit: 22nd of Summer, no freeze, but this game ... I should be pushing for time but this game allows me to have too much time on my hand, unless i gather, which is necessary to complete request. Go Rune Factory 3 :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k