Hacking Hard disk change

Carlos_DobleC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, I bought a 4 tb hard drive and I want to know exactly how to make a copy of everything from one drive to another.

I had thought of connecting 2 cables with usb adapter and copy absolutely all the contents of one into the other. Will this be enough?

Edit: Maybe this does not make much sense in this section, but the hard disk change is basically for loading homebrew and backups.

Last edited by Carlos_DobleC,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So youre cloning an external hdd that has content on so you have 2 identical drives?

Yes that will be enough: with a laptop or pc inbetween.

You can do it with tools to do byte for byte cloning, but depends on youre requirements.

Carlos_DobleC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So youre cloning an external hdd that has content on so you have 2 identical drives?

Yes that will be enough: with a laptop or pc inbetween.

You can do it with tools to do byte for byte cloning, but depends on youre requirements.

I did not think to use a bigger tool than CopyPaste.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I had thought of connecting 2 cables with usb adapter and copy absolutely all the contents of one into the other. Will this be enough?

Usually on a PC this wouldn't be enough, unless you resize the filesystem to the new HD size, otherwise your new 4 TB HD would continue to be used like a 1 TB HD (as you skipped the formatting part).

Last edited by MostlyUnharmful,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you can just about squeeze a 15mm 4TB drive in but the lid might not fit back on properly, or worse it could press down on the disc player and stop it reading games. I think it depends which model you have as some people say it all works fine, but on my 1216B I even removed the metal shield completely but still had the BD player problem once the lid went on.

Reactions: peteruk and KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you can just about squeeze a 15mm 4TB drive in but the lid might not fit back on properly, or worse it could press down on the disc player and stop it reading games. I think it depends which model you have as some people say it all works fine, but on my 1216B I even removed the metal shield completely but still had the BD player problem once the lid went on.

I have heard 9-13mm drives work fine but you have to remove or bend the caddy to accomodate them.

I did not know 15mm may also work.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was close to pushing the button on a 2tb Firecuda, I didn't realise we had 3tb / 4tb models that would physically fit inside

Had a good search through Amazon UK but all seemed to be like 15mm - don't really wanna be bending anything or pressing down on the BD either

Would love to know which model drives people managed to fit inside without issue's

Reactions: kop365 and KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1523.JPG
Was close to pushing the button on a 2tb Firecuda, I didn't realise we had 3tb / 4tb models that would physically fit inside

Had a good search through Amazon UK but all seemed to be like 15mm - don't really wanna be bending anything or pressing down on the BD either

Would love to know which model drives people managed to fit inside without issue's

Just hollow out a databank and dont stress the gurth of that hdd bruh.

Haha!

Reactions: peteruk

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
TBH never seen a 3TB/4TB HDD smaller than 9mm.
Most people used to recommand Firecuda SSHD 2TB for internal storage, until the PS4 supported external storage and then no longer people care about upgrading internal HDD.

Reactions: peteruk

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you come across any 3tb / 4tb that fit comfortably without modification or are we better off sticking to 2tb ?
Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of external drives so the biggest internal that fits comfortably is a 2tb like the firecuda. I've seen videos of people who fitted 4tb but I'm not convinced its a good idea in the long run, there isn't a lot of room for heat dissipation in there.

Reactions: peteruk and KiiWii

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of external drives so the biggest internal that fits comfortably is a 2tb like the firecuda. I've seen videos of people who fitted 4tb but I'm not convinced its a good idea in the long run, there isn't a lot of room for heat dissipation in there.

cheers mate, it was actually the firecuda 2tb i was looking at.... got some Amazon uk credit left from Christmas I can use

not sure if I should hold off until kexploit for 5.0 first, just in case :rofl:

Last edited by peteruk,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@peteruk could be waiting a long time mate. We just dont know.

Btw updated the AIO guide for simple dumping and pkging.

..and more...

Yes probably best holding off then, hopefully things get patched up in 5.50 final

Been looking at your guide, looking good ! Hopefully you will need to update it for 5.0X soon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge