ROM Hack Gyakuten Saiban 1-3 Translation

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Patch 013

Case 4 is now complete, tested and fully working.

• Re-translated the whole case 4.

• Translated case 4 intro.

• Translated a map of Dusky Bridge.

My first reaction when I started working on case 4 was "OMG! How the heck am I supposed to translate this animated intro?". I tried to locate the tiles used in it, but they where nowhere to be found within the ROM. Neither was their palette. Even after setting a lot of breakpoints with VBA-SDL-H, I could not see any apparent transfers of any RLE/LZ77/Uncompressed blocks. It took me a few days and a lot of experiments to reach the conclusion that the tiles were the actually standard japanese font of the ROM, and the intro was using a special fullscreen font routine. And of course, the normal Variable Font Routine used in the english translations had nothing to do with it.

The text used in the intro was stored in the all-cases script. But since the standard font routine is not used there, if I translated it, I would just break the intro just like cocomonk22 did (screenshot).

So, I ended up creating my own custom font, containing the english text in 99 little pieces. I then changed the base font address used by the special font routine, and "translated" the script in a way that would use these pieces in the correct order.

Case 4 intro may have been by far the most difficult and weird graphic to translate so far.

Screenshots
Before - After

case4_intro_dec2.gif
translated_gba_dec2.gif

Last edited by h3rmit,

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Screenshots
Before - After

case4_intro_dec2.gif
translated_gba_dec2.gif

Dude, that does look really cool :D Now that you mention tiles, we did encounter some problems in the Summon Night Craftsword Monogatari: Hajimari no ishi. Main problem was this one:
+Title screen, third and fourth options: I messed up inserting one of the four frames for "2P" ("tsushin/link" option, the graphic probably needs to be redone) and didn't touch omake "bonus".
For those two I'll need to use the no$gba debugger to move the sprites anyways removing the gaps for a proper translation.
+Opening lines not fixed yet to use the proper translation ("a land called paradise"). This should be possible (called "a paradise land" once). The wording is awkward because of tiles repeating and imposing draconian limitations on the thing, but it should be possible if the tilemap is modified.
C0vOpOn.png

+The glow effect doesn't match the crude shitty new English logo. It needs heavy tile map reworking.

If it's not much asking, I hope that you can take a look at it whenever you want.
Thanks!

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A little bug report: Just went through the first case again with the latest patch, and noticed that Phoenix' sprite shows RYU instead of P when he starts crying when he's about to take the bottle from Mia.

11cb26ad51e58a58fe90a22de3e2d56a.jpg

Edit: Screenshot included

Last edited by Lycan911,

Objection!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone send me a save file on this game? Please? The save file corrupted when I started the 3rd case :(, please? @h3rmit , a loop has been found when we talk about the sacred urn in Wright Co. Law office... Please fix :)

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can someone send me a save file on this game? Please? The save file corrupted when I started the 3rd case :(, please? @h3rmit , a loop has been found when we talk about the sacred urn in Wright Co. Law office... Please fix :)
I have a save that starts at the beginning of case 2, as that's where I am at the moment, I can share it here if you'd like.

Reactions: Objection!

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Patch 014

Case 5 is now complete, tested and fully working.

• Re-translated the whole case 5.

• Translated an image of a magazine showing 2 nuns

• Translated a map of Heavenly Hall

• Translated the burnt letter in case 5

• Translated the letters on the Sacred Urn in a background image at the end of case 5-15

• Corrected the location buttons for Main Gate, Courtyard, Main hall, Suspension Bridge, Inner Temple Gate, Training Hall, Garden and Heavenly Hall. They were in the wrong order.

• Translated "Ryu" to "P" in a sprite of Phoenix in case 1

Case 5 was really huge compared to the previous cases. It consists of 15 parts (case 4 has 4 parts and case 3 has 10), so it took quite some time to complete the translation. The game is now complete, but I may release another patch or two in case anyone finds any bugs (though I have tested the game thoroughly).

I am now trying to fix the bug with the Save/Load bug, which exists since the beginning and causes the following:
  • After loading a savegame in the adventure (investigation) mode, the background is black. Playing without moving to another place first may cause glitches or crashes.
  • When trying to load a savegame that was saved during a multiple choice screen, the game crashes.

The problem lies in the font routine itself, so I am trying to rewrite a small portion in assembly.

@Pablitox I'll pm you tomorrow.

@NikolaMiljevic You were right, I missed a sprite with Ryu. So I fixed it in this patch.

@Objection! I may give it a try in the near future, after I finish the third game. But I do not have assembly knowledge, which will be required in order to create a new english font routine for the first game. Also, about the bug you mentioned, are you sure you have downloaded the latest patch? Try downloading the current patch and start case 3 From the Beginning and not from the last save.

Screenshots
Before - After

ryu3_old.png
ryu3_new.png

Objection!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iz ok! Please send me the file... I was using an older version but when I updated it... The save file didn't work again...

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Patch 015 (see below)

This is a bugfix release.

• Fixed the issue with the backgrounds not loading after save/load in adventure (investigation) mode.

• Fixed the crash when saving/loading during a multiple choice screen.

• Fixed a crash when pressing L on Kane Bullard's list in case 2.

• Fixed an infinite loop when talking to Maggey in case 3-1.

I also tried hard to make the text reload properly after save/load, but seems like I can't do it. At least not yet. I guess it needs some more experience in ASM.

Edit:

• Fixed the locations in case 3-1 after talking to Maggey

Patch 015.1

Last edited by h3rmit,

Objection!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you fix a bug that when you press a to go to the next line which Phoenix is speaking but the other character also speaks? Sorry for bad english...

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Indeed, the characters in the foreground may sometimes move their mouth when somebody else is talking. It is a minor issue, but it cannot be fixed easily. The english game in NDS has 3 lines instead of 2, so when I matched it with the GBA I couldn't tell when exactly a character is moving his/her mouth. In fact, the script is like this, so I can't really distinguish who is in front of the screen and what he is doing:

<person 12 d98 c0c>
<person 4 23fc 2304>
<person 12 10d0 10d0>

There are thousands of lines like these, so it would take years to fix it. On the other hand, it does not really affect the game.

Last edited by h3rmit,

Objection!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indeed, the characters in the foreground may sometimes move their mouth when somebody else is talking. It is a minor issue, but it cannot be fixed easily. The english game in NDS has 3 lines instead of 2, so when I matched it with the GBA I couldn't tell when exactly a character is moving his/her mouth. In fact, the script is like this, so I can't really distinguish who is in front of the screen and what he is doing:

<person 12 d98 c0c>
<person 4 23fc 2304>
<person 12 10d0 10d0>

There are thousands of lines like these, so it would take years to fix it. On the other hand, it does not really affect the game.
It's Ok! I know its hard to do hacking ^_^

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So hold on a second... is this translation actually set in Japan as opposed to that contrived "Los Angeles" mess that set all backstories on fire?

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Wut? Im using the the latest patch

Is this after a save/load?

It is possible that my workaround for background reloading after save/load isn't 100% perfect. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fix the assembly code any more than that. Try using "Move" to another place and it will be ok.

So hold on a second... is this translation actually set in Japan as opposed to that contrived "Los Angeles" mess that set all backstories on fire?

The translation is identical to the NDS version. I didn't read anything specific about a country in the scripts, but yes, there is a lot of American slang in them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, hi