Hacking GW multirom demo

t-master

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
From the Proasic3 datasheet: "Note that the FlashROM can only be programmed from the JTAG interface and cannot be programmed from the internal logic array"
This means you MUST use the jtag pins to be able to reprogram it.
Some pins needed for that are the pins 22-24 which are the first three from left on the lower side of the FPGA. You can see that on the gateway those are connected,
on the clones they are not.
So, the clones fpgas are really not reconfigurable (though they "wasted" a better fpga on it).

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
From the Proasic3 datasheet: "Note that the FlashROM can only be programmed from the JTAG interface and cannot be programmed from the internal logic array"
Some pins needed for that are the pins 22-24 which are the first three from left on the lower side of the FPGA. You can see that on the gateway those are connected,
So, the clones fpgas are really not reconfigurable (though they "wasted" a better fpga on it).

Finally ! Someone red that datasheet and spouted the obvious.
(Instead of nonsense for about a dozen posts. It'd have taken 5 minutes but meh... )

Seqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Wow, just watched the video. That's awesome.

However, I'm still not going to use my GW until I know 100% surely that it won't damage my console.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

So if I understand, that probably explains why GW couldn't brick the clone carts but went for the 3ds :S

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

If it is true it is not problem for users with soldering skills to make proper pins even on casing of flash card or use extended cables from jtag. JTAG voltage is at ~3.6v.

R4iFanboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish that lady with the red fingernails would be my gf. Do you think they are real?

Psst, no!

She might be the gf of one of GW devs. Oh well, too late. You just started a war, they will finish it.

I am sure that her boyfriend will now code to brick only YOUR 3DS.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

All features of the FPGA device are programmed with the JTAG interface. The flash memory is in addition to the programmable logic, and does in fact act as a ROM to the logic array. As for the clones, they seem to have the JTAG pins connected to contacts on the other side of the board, therefore a jig is needed for programming. It will be interesting to see how the clones deal with any future updates.

Xbox hacker Andrew Huang @ EE LIVE!
For any of you guys in Silicon Valley, here is a fun free keynote.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...the-future-of-embedded-systems-239959271.html

Attend free with an Expo pass.

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just saw that the R4 team has picture proof of their own multirom feature. :yaysp:

xj67.png

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they didnt get their hands on anything yet, they have to wait until gateway releases their firmware, then about 2-3 weeks later the clones firmware comes out
but 2.0 will be problematic as the card most likely needs to be updated and only mt card can do that

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the code will most likely still be in there (getting the kinks worked out for actual legit users hopefully)
or else the clone card companies will just release updated cards and sell them as v2 or under a new name

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol