Hacking GW multirom demo

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not even about that, but about the brick code being present in their launcher. It didn't magically get there. That was written with the specific intent to brick a user's console.

No doubt their is code there that causes a brick, but for it being intentional, we only have the word of "trusted" people. All from the same inner circle if you will, all with an anti-piracy stance.

It could just as easily be the anti-update code they were working on (that they already said bricked their test consoles) left in, that is bugging out and going wrong. It apparently locks the emmc (not wipes it like originally thought). Sounds more like something to prevent accidental updates (lock emmc, update emunand, unlock afterwards), rather than intentional brick code. Of course they could have adapted that code to be used for bricking, but, If you have an anti-piracy agenda, what's more damaging to the cart

They intentionally bricked stuff
It's a bug

Think about that.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I donate to children's hospices and disaster relief quite frequently, yet i don't give a shit about other people bricking their video game console.
Especially not if they did it by supporting and buying obviously shitty product.
And yet you don't donate to this or that cause, or don't go and feed the poor near your house... Selfish is the wrong term, self-centered on our own interests, but I don't think we would be able to live if we weren't to some extent.
This to say something... Well, that you should at least have compassion for your fellow human beings, even for what for you might be a small amount.

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
that sounds rather plausible. so your theory is that a bug locks it and if you send it to gateway the unlock it for you, giving that a status of knowing the inners and the outers of the 3ds.

thats also explains that you have to sent your GW along with your 3ds cuz the cannot determine if the 3ds is hacked by a clone or "accidently blocked" by GW

rather clever....

but its just another conspiracy theory

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
its all conspiracy theory's atm, except that some are spread as gospel

gateway have proven they can code and the memory corruption idea might lead to incorrect functions being loaded so maybe they aren't lying it might just be that everyone is telling the truth, but the intentions derived from that truth where wrong

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And yet you don't donate to this or that cause, or don't go and feed the poor near your house... Selfish is the wrong term, self-centered on our own interests, but I don't think we would be able to live if we weren't to some extent.
This to say something... Well, that you should at least have compassion for your fellow human beings, even for what for you might be a small amount.

I have compassion for people in need, people not researching piracy products and buying shit don't deserve any.
Btw: obviously people are self centered, how is that even for debate ?

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
It's intentional. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional.
AES-encrypted code to wipe out the eMMC with a random seed based on a date. Obfuscated code to avoid detection. With a recovery backdoor, but they encrypted it with a code specific to an unique console so that they're the only ones able to modify it. A very specific bit of code that triggers under specific conditions (but unforseen things like faulty SD cards can trigger it as well) with a very specific goal: bricking the console.

If the "non-trusted" longtime homebrew devs who discovered previous exploits are lying on purpose to damage the "image" of a "trusted" pirate company that pooped out only recently denying bricks as "lies spread by Chinese pirates" including Normatt himself, then bashing legitimate GW users who had the brick confirmed, (here, GW lied at least once)
how is it that the bricking code was confirmed by three different sources, with the same details?
You'd figure out the lies would contradict each other.
And how is GW's claim (a single source) more solid than reports from different homebrew devs (different sources) who showed results?
With one of them (being the "anti-piracy" goon he is) aknowledging GW cards previously and offering enhancements to it such as a region free code? Did he turn an enemy of GW suddenly as soon as all those "coincidental" bricks happened at the same time (including Devin)?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how is it that the bricking code was confirmed by three different sources, with the same details?

You'd figure out the lies would contradict each other.

Talking to each other behind the scenes. Not hard when you run in the same circles.

And how is GW's claim (a single source) more solid than reports from different homebrew devs (different sources) who showed results?

What results? all we have is "the brick code looks something like" and that's it. Pretty sure the actual assembly code has never been shown because, "no one else can understand it".

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A group breaks copyright protection and tries to protect their method of thievery. People defend it and become apologists for GW. I feel no pity for GW. Just as they judged Nintendo, now they are judged and reap what they sow. People will be more careful and break anything GW tries. A line of errant code is one issue, writing the nand and breaking the method of recovery is another. Really think they will own up to it? Thieves trying to monopolize a method of theft....

This is the future of console hacking. Groups hack it and give findings to the ukey/GW people...or at least sit back and not release. Why share info when thieves can make $? Don't be surprised if this is why people won't release; collusion. One group tells others to do it all to look better. "We will release if you lift a 2,000 pound car." Then it makes others look like they are the reason. If people would release, this bs would not occur. GW cannot file a lawsuit, a patent? Lmfao, so they resort to making people pay. Anyone who defends this and the "hackers" are...I'll leave it here. Well, remember to lick boots though and respect those "hackers."

Reactions: dc740

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the key. "We f'ed you over but check out a new feature!!!" Anyone with self respect would trash their GW and bury them. "New feature? Replace my 3ds and maybe I'll care.". Nope, "I like it, I love it, I want some more of it after I buy another 3ds."

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
A group breaks copyright protection and tries to protect their method of thievery. People defend it and become apologists for GW. I feel no pity for GW. Just as they judged Nintendo, now they are judged and reap what they sow. People will be more careful and break anything GW tries. A line of errant code is one issue, writing the nand and breaking the method of recovery is another. Really think they will own up to it? Thieves trying to monopolize a method of theft....

This is the future of console hacking. Groups hack it and give findings to the ukey/GW people...or at least sit back and not release. Why share info when thieves can make $? Don't be surprised if this is why people won't release; collusion. One group tells others to do it all to look better. "We will release if you lift a 2,000 pound car." Then it makes others look like they are the reason. If people would release, this bs would not occur. GW cannot file a lawsuit, a patent? Lmfao, so they resort to making people pay. Anyone who defends this and the "hackers" are...I'll leave it here. Well, remember to lick boots though and respect those "hackers."

Why are you so mad ? How can you say that this is the future of console hacking whereas Smealum has done a lot for the 3DS lately and will surely keep on doing so, or maybe you want your console hacked for pirate games ?

Truth is that you might be upset Gateway are bricking your consoles or shit but hey they're here for the money and you should not put your entire trust in them, they're just a bunch of smart thieves right ? When you put your trust in such people you must be ready to face the eventual consequences. So my advice would be you make a rom loader of your own and stop bitching and if you cant then just use the one Gateway provides you and pray...

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No doubt their is code there that causes a brick, but for it being intentional, we only have the word of "trusted" people. All from the same inner circle if you will, all with an anti-piracy stance.

It could just as easily be the anti-update code they were working on (that they already said bricked their test consoles) left in, that is bugging out and going wrong. It apparently locks the emmc (not wipes it like originally thought). Sounds more like something to prevent accidental updates (lock emmc, update emunand, unlock afterwards), rather than intentional brick code. Of course they could have adapted that code to be used for bricking, but, If you have an anti-piracy agenda, what's more damaging to the cart

They intentionally bricked stuff
It's a bug

Think about that.

Well then I suppose I may have some things confused, but I remember someone posted the snippet of the code in question and it looked as though it specifically referenced a modified launcher. I don't really remember what thread here had that information and I don't remember 100% what the code was. I was mainly going off that finding, which, now that I think about it, my whole argument was based off of something I wasn't 100% informed about.

However, if I'm right, then there's no question as to what the intent was. But again, now that I think about it more, I could be wrong. So meh.

Edit: justinkb is right. I'll stop that discussion here.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very impressed by this update, but I'm waiting for it all to work on the latest firmware before I'm sold. I just can't afford an extra 3DS right now, so I'm perfectly fine waiting for all this to be available regardless of firmware.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you so mad ? How can you say that this is the future of console hacking whereas Smealum has done a lot for the 3DS lately and will surely keep on doing so, or maybe you want your console hacked for pirate games ?

Truth is that you might be upset Gateway are bricking your consoles or shit but hey they're here for the money and you should not put your entire trust in them, they're just a bunch of smart thieves right ? When you put your trust in such people you must be ready to face the eventual consequences. So my advice would be you make a rom loader of your own and stop bitching and if you cant then just use the one Gateway provides you and pray...
It is a "scene" issue across devices now. Had nothing to do with smealum. People once hacked because they could and shared because they believed in an open device. Keeping some information private and allowing what are primarily PIRACY devices to make $ runs contrary to what hacking once was. It is a piracy device first and foremost, so does anyone really have to throw the "You want free piracy" comment around from the glass house?

I have waited for a 3ds and was considering one for my son. I had looked at GW and was considering a device like that. I do believe a system should be unlocked for everyone. I buy my games legitimately and it does not effect my systems. HOWEVER, this is all still BS. Don't like it, then so be it. I say what I feel. May as well just buy games legitimately and support the devs/Nintendo. Support GW? What a joke.

Reactions: Nightwish

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think that's a guy :)

By the way, I just noticed that the lady of the polished nails had difficulties understanding the feature in the video. You can see how someone else presses the select button before her.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBJ6gd3vLo