Homebrew [GUIDE] Play legit Sun and Moon with your save from the leak

Roomsaver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide won't unban your console.

I know this thread might seem useless but a few people I know could've gotten banned if they didn't do this, so more experienced users should just ignore this thread.

Step 1: Install JKSM
If you don't already, you should start by installing this great save manager called JKSM (although theoretically any save manager would work, this guide is specifically for JKSM). The link for JKSM is here.

Step 2: Backup your save
After installing JKSM, boot it. Press Refresh Games and go to SD/CIA. Scroll down until you find Pokemon Sun/Moon. Press export save, hit new, and give it a name. Now, exit JKSM by pressing B 3 times.
If you experience an error about it not being able to open the save archive, don't fret., just play the game until you reach the professor first talking to you through the camera thing, then exit and try installing the save again. (Thanks to CitizenSnips)

Step 3: Uninstalling the leak

We'll uninstall the leak now (updated thanks to dotarice). Navigate to one of the following.
FBI:
To uninstall with FBI first open FBI (duh). Navigate to Titles and find Pokemon Sun/Moon. Press A once and scroll down to Delete Title and Ticket. Exit FBI.
System Settings:
To uninstall with system settings, open system settings and tap Data Management (bottom left square). Tap Nintendo 3DS and then software. Find Pokemon Sun/Moon, tap it, and tap delete. After it uninstalls, exit system settings. If you're not running A9LH (which you should be), make sure to boot back into EmuNAND.

Step 4: Installing the legit version
You can now install the game either by buying it through the eShop, downloading it through FreeShop, using tickets to install it through eShop, or using a legit cartridge.

eShop: Simply buy the game and install it. Continue to step 5.
FreeShop: Boot FreeShop, find Sun and Moon, and install it. After it's finished continue to step 5.
Tickets and eShop: If you purchased the game previously, you'll have the tickets installed. Navigate to the redownload page and download it again, then continue to step 5. If you didn't previously purchase it you can install Tikdevil, run it, and install Pokemon Sun/Moon like described above and continue to step 5.
Legit Cartridge: Continue to step 5.

Step 5: Injecting the save
Now, run your game for the first time and after you get to the language screen, press the home button and exit out of the game.
Run JKSM and press Refresh Games. You can now navigate to one of the following.
Digital: Press SD/CIA and find Pokemon Sun/Moon. Press Import Save and press A on the name of the save you made and press A You're done! Play the game and pick up where you left off.
Cartridge: Press Cartridge and tap Import Save and press A on the name of the save, and press A again. You're done! Enjoy! If you can't import through JKSM, then you can also copy the file through FBI. Navigate to the SD card in FBI and find the jk folder. Open it and find the save for Sun or Moon. It should be named main. Press copy and navigate to titles and then to the cartridge. Press Import Save Data and press browse save data. Paste the save over the old main file.

Thank you for reading my guide! If you have any trouble please ask.

Last edited by Roomsaver,

Safy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the guide I would use it if its possible; but I have a question that it might be answered on that 425+ pages thread which is hard to find something specific (I'm sorry for not searching if that might be an issue).
Is it safe to transfer the save from the .cia, the first one with version 0, to a legit cartridge? Won't be there any problem at all with online and anything that could be wrong about it?

Roomsaver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide I would use it if its possible; but I have a question that it might be answered on that 425+ pages thread which is hard to find something specific (I'm sorry for not searching if that might be an issue).
Is it safe to transfer the save from the .cia, the first one with version 0, to a legit cartridge? Won't be there any problem at all with online and anything that could be wrong about it?
AFAIK, no there are no problems. That's why I wrote the guide :D If anyone can protest this, please let me know and I will update the guide immediately.

Last edited by Roomsaver, , Reason: Clarity

revol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to do this with a retail cartitridge, but JKSM cannot see it. When I select 'Cartridge' I get an error, "No DS support.". It thinks this is a DS game. I've downloaded the filter, I've manually added the Low ID of my CIA, didn't help.

SsjSylar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I was playing the leak and bought a physical card. So i've started the game and played up to when I get my starter and saved it. However when I try to go into the cartridge in JKSM, it just tells me "Error opening save archive!"

And I can't do anything else. My cartridge does has a save file in it.

So i'm quite confused at whats wrong. Any help?

Do I have to be further into the game for the save file to count?

Roomsaver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to do this with a retail cartitridge, but JKSM cannot see it. When I select 'Cartridge' I get an error, "No DS support.". It thinks this is a DS game. I've downloaded the filter, I've manually added the Low ID of my CIA, didn't help.
I believe you can also copy the file through FBI. Navigate to the SD card in FBI and find the jk folder. Open it and find the save for Sun or Moon. It should be named main. Press copy and navigate to titles and then to the cartridge. Press Import Save Data and press browse save data. Paste the save over the old main file.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide is 100% pointless. Unless you add real steps (Updating adventure start date and date met) this is completely pointless tbh

Reactions: WeedZ

CitizenSnips

a seldom-used crab named Lucky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was playing the leak and bought a physical card. So i've started the game and played up to when I get my starter and saved it. However when I try to go into the cartridge in JKSM, it just tells me "Error opening save archive!"

And I can't do anything else. My cartridge does has a save file in it.

So i'm quite confused at whats wrong. Any help?

Do I have to be further into the game for the save file to count?
Edit: weird, i had this problem, but i ran the game and selected the language and left the game, then it let me. Are you sure you are using the latest JKSM?

Last edited by CitizenSnips,

Safy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I took my Sun save from the Lurantis leak and injected it into my cartridge and I've had no issues playing online or anything.
Actually I don't know if I can even use online in my case, Europe releases on 23rd but I got the game today because preorder, and I don't really wanna risk it despite having everything legit.

dotarice

Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
The leak is version 0 and not online safe.

i think this is false now. the "leak" was supposedly from the retail cartridge itself; which reviewers also received. there was a person on the iso site that also had their own retail copy after it was released. that version was 0 too yet i could go online after installing it and transferring save files. version 0 is through retailed cartridge while 16 / 32 is directly from the e-shop.

thank you for the guide though! i think at least a good amount of users here will know what to do when they get the game.

in b4 kunoichiz was here already

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide is 100% pointless. Unless you add real steps (Updating adventure start date and date met) this is completely pointless tbh
This is a non-issue. Nintendo won't ban you for a game's start date.
You can easily change your 3DS date to a date before the game's launch and save that to your profile, which means Nintendo would likely catch some false positives.

SsjSylar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Edit: weird, i had this problem, but i ran the game and selected the language and left the game, then it let me. Are you sure you are using the latest JKSM?
I'm trying just now,

I'm pretty sure I am, Is there a way to check?

EDIT:Yeah, i'm sure its the latest I only installed JKSM about 2 weeks ago and re-doing my save didn't work.

Last edited by SsjSylar,

revol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it working. My 3DS wasn't reading the cart at all. I had to press start while highlighting the empty slot option, and when I left the Gateway menu, it popped up.

CrisisKing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my old 3DS got banned and I just got a new one today. My question is: How safe would it be to use the save from the copy of moon that got me into this mess in the first place? I'm pretty sketched out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here