[Guide] How to flash Flash2Advance cart via DS with GBA slot.

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials' started by Chrushev, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Chrushev
    OP

Member Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Hello everyone,

Ive had this Flash2Advance cart for what seems like 15 years now (think I got it around 2001). Surprisingly battery is still good, but I plan to change that out soon anyways, waiting for a few tools to come in the mail (I may do a guide on that too).

Anyhow, this cart requires use of Printer port and only supported up to WinXP. But even if you got a virtual machine going with XP you still need to have a DB25 Parallet port (Printer port) on your PC and as far as I know they stopped manufacturing computers with those over 10 years ago. So I had this Flash2Advance with 4 games on it for over a decade with no way to change the games. I figured it was time to fix that and sat down to really try and figure out how. It actually ended up being fairly easy. Here is my guide.

You need, a DS with GBA slot (Original DS or DS Lite). DSi wont work since it doesnt have GBA slot. You also need a DS flash cart that can run .nds files.

Full guide here - http://imgur.com/a/NvM0V

So that you guys dont have to type out the kit links they are here:
    http://tinyurl.com/hk5dd7s
    That tinyurl expands to this link for Mega -
    (https://mega.nz/#!PhsgnKQC!wu33542xUVPzghNneUIclKyIf7fE3lM9H3QhQt5qdys)

or use mirror link - http://www.mediafire.com/file/leps5cpv0ukck4y/F2A_tools.zip

PS - It says guide is by Duxa. Thats my name :)

Last edited by Chrushev, Dec 21, 2016

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Have you made a version of FAS1 ( https://github.com/SmithsFAS1/fas1/tree/master/FAS1 ) that supports the F2A? If so you have likely made a few people happy as we have had to say no joy several times over the last few years when people dig them out of desks/junk boxes in pawn shops/...

migles likes this.
  3. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    yeah seriously have you? If so, KUDOS! I never had a F2A, nor really worked on any F2A support. The last update I did to my program was to get the official Nintendo Carts flashing (though erasing wasn't working so hot; they are slowwww carts).

Though looking at your screenshot it looks like it still detects it as a FA256.. but you say it writes okay to a F2A? Weirddddd

Last edited by Smiths, Dec 21, 2016
    PokeAcer likes this.
  4. civickm

Member civickm Rocky Mountain IT Guy

United States
    sweet thanks! I will try this tonight

5. PokeAcer

Suspended PokeAcer RiiConnect24 Developer

United Kingdom
    Now I want a Flash2Advance :P
    Is this similar to the Xboo method of flashing? Because one can flash their own cart that way :P

6. Chii-chan

Newcomer Chii-chan Advanced Member

Canada
    FAS1 won't detect my F2A. I just get 'Unknown' for flash type and then it says 'Unsupported flashcart (0xff)' and hangs. I wonder if mine is damaged or something... It's at least there since I can backup the sav file from it :/

7. Chrushev
    OP

Russia
    Does it look like the one in the picture? Same sticker and everything? What are you using for Slot 1? and is that on latest build of Wood or whatever?

8. Chii-chan

Newcomer Chii-chan Advanced Member

Canada
    Yeah, it's the same. My slot1 cart is also the same as the one pictured, actually. I'm just running the latest stock menu on it from the r4i-sdhc website. I figured my F2A wasn't functioning properly since I looked into this pretty extensively when I got it and tinkered with pretty much every relevant slot2 flashing tool I could get my hands on with no avail. (I'm the one who posted that thread on /r/gameboy about it) :(

Last edited by Chii-chan, Dec 22, 2016
  9. Smiths

United States
    Yeah I was shocked it detected your F2A as a FA256... they are supposed to have different hardware IDs and there's a different flashing method I believe. The uCON64 tool has the C files for how to flash a F2A but without a unit in my possession 10 years ago when I had the time and interest in this I never delved.

10. kuwanger

Member kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

What I remember about uCON64's F2A support was (1) it didn't seem to support saves properly (I always got blank save files) and (2) it had issues with timeouts/timing which IIRC required me to throw in some sleeps/loops to compensate. But it's been a very long time since I messed with that. Lucky for me, I lucked out and got a motherboard with a LPT1 port head so it was trivial to buy and use for my F2A. I'd suggest for others here to look into their own motherboard. Maybe they got lucky too. :)

PS - I'm always one to plug my Unofficial Pogoshell fork. Especially useful if you've got a PogoBridge, some Gameboy Color games, and want to pack games in the empty space.

Smiths likes this.
  11. Chrushev
    OP

Russia
    Maybe there were different revisions?

12. CeeDee

Member CeeDee the blushy Eevee

Bermuda
    Wait, I don't understand... How do you flash something to a read-only official GBA cart?

13. PokeAcer

United Kingdom
    Probably dev GBA carts, that allow you to flash to them for testing.

CeeDee likes this.
  14. Smiths

United States
    Yeah, dev cart

CeeDee and PokeAcer like this.
  15. PokeAcer

United Kingdom
  16. gusmento01

Member gusmento01 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I will give a try, I haven't use my flash2adcance in years and I used mainly because of the GB Bridge.

17. AhmedMH

Newcomer AhmedMH Newbie

Tunisia
    It doesn't work with my F2A Ultra 256M :( saying Unsupported flashcart (0xff), but my F2A works perfectly and it has four games inside, is there anything I can do to solve this ?

18. Chrushev
    OP

Russia
    Probably because its the "Ultra" version? Nothing you can do unless someone re-writes or edits existing code for FAS1, all code is on github.

Someone can probably remove the check completely for the cart and just have it attempt to write to the flash... a little dangerous, but could work.

Last edited by Chrushev, Dec 31, 2016
  19. AhmedMH

Newcomer AhmedMH Newbie

Tunisia
    Ok I see, thank you for your response anyway :)

20. nightmarezero

Newcomer nightmarezero Newbie

Italy
    After months searching for something similar i found this guide for trying to falsh an xg-flash 256M.
    I have followed this guide using .gba files and -bin files created with pogoshell and whit 3 different nds cards.
    Here an image of my cards
    [​IMG]

i had different errors. with m3 and dstwo:
    [​IMG]
    and with r4:
    [​IMG]

So what can i do? i imagine that m3 and sdtwo have problems reading the slot2 card, and maybe r4 is working but can't erase the memory of the xg-flash.
    Please help me, i have no idea, or i don't know if the xg-flash is not supported.
    Thanks a lot, and sorry for my english :)