Green Sync Problem?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a male VGA with pins exposed and female Component inputs, soldered the Component to VGA pins and now I have picture on a VGA monitor, but the screen seems to have a green tint on it.

IMG_20220519_220727_381.jpg

At first I thought it was a problem of soldering the cables wrongly, but then noticed that it's picking up blue and red, notice the SNES icon.

IMG_20220519_220750_029.jpg

I'm lost on what could be the problem here.
Could it be possible that the solder in probably bridging both blue and red pins? Or do I need extra hardware to solve the issue?

PS: Assumed that it'd work since VGA and Component are basically the same?
I mean... it works!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Definitely picking up Red and Blue...
IMG_20220519_222621_514.jpg

Last edited by JuanMena,

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
YPbPr and RGB are not the same. You're lucky you're getting anything at all.
Either you need a proper Wii VGA cable from e.g. Mayflash or Vdigi, an external YPbPr to VGA transcoder, or modify the Wii to permanently output RGB instead of YPbPr.
Ah hahaha :rofl2:
Cool. Was just curious to test this, I had the cables and the inputs, and thought why not.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: According to my eyes, both Wii2HDMI and Component outputs the same quality. Actually the cable I made looks SHARPER but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What you need is a monitor that natively supports sync on green or to build a sync separator circuit using an LM1881.
I came to that conclusion couple hours later. It might as well be a bad VGA port. I'm currently trying to get two things:
CRT VGA monitor
Another VGA cable to test

But thanks anyway.

Reactions: fringle

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chances are the cable is fine. A lot of the old samsung syncmasters crt's do support sync on green. Dealt with the same issue many years ago when playing with a homemade og xbox vga cable and not wanting to build the sync separator. Here's a list that might help you find one that works.
http://ps-2.kev009.com/sog/

Reactions: JuanMena

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I came to that conclusion couple hours later. It might as well be a bad VGA port. I'm currently trying to get two things:
CRT VGA monitor
Another VGA cable to test

But thanks anyway.
This video actually talks about the very issue you mentioned. Only certain monitors support sync on green. The video mentioned using a Framemeister or OSSC to get around that, they aren't cheap though.
(The PS2 got a VGA cable made for it that only PS2 linux used, but since it output in VGA mode, when trying to use PS2 Linux with component cables the same issue as what you're having occurs, or the reverse issue I suppose)

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Chances are the cable is fine. A lot of the old samsung syncmasters crt's do support sync on green. Dealt with the same issue many years ago when playing with a homemade og xbox vga cables and not wanting to build the sync separator. Here's a list that might help you find one that works.
DUUUUDE! :bow:
That'll save a lot of worries! Nice! Thanks! 👍

This video actually talks about the very issue you mentioned. Only certain monitors support sync on green. The video mentioned using a Framemeister or OSSC to get around that, they aren't cheap though.
(The PS2 got a VGA cable made for it that only PS2 linux used, but since it output in VGA mode, when trying to use PS2 Linux with component cables the same issue as what you're having occurs, or the reverse issue I suppose)

I don't want to sound pretentious, but I know that my monitor can't handle sync on green. To be fair there was no way ro know if I hadn't purposefully searched for it or by actually trying.

A Franemeister is around $14,000,00MXN and an OSSC is around half of that. There's no way I'm going to spend that (to be honest it's very hard to even save that amount)

But thanks too JD 😅

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What you need is a monitor that natively supports sync on green or to build a sync separator circuit using an LM1881.
Chances are the cable is fine. A lot of the old samsung syncmasters crt's do support sync on green. Dealt with the same issue many years ago when playing with a homemade og xbox vga cable and not wanting to build the sync separator. Here's a list that might help you find one that works.
No. "Sync on Green" is a concept that only applies to RGB. You can separate and process the sync all you want, that doesn't change the fact the Wii is feeding YPbPr into an RGB-only monitor.

The reason OP got a stable image in the first place is because his monitor _does_ support SoG. That has no relation to feeding the monitor the wrong color format.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No. "Sync on Green" is a concept that only applies to RGB. You can separate and process the sync all you want, that doesn't change the fact the Wii is feeding YPbPr into an RGB-only monitor.

The reason OP got a stable image in the first place is because his monitor _does_ support SoG. That has no relation to feeding the monitor the wrong color format.
While it's true that NTSC wii's don't output in RGB the same cannot be said about a Pal Wii. I'm not sure if this is a hardware limitation or software so may be changed via softmod if it's software based.

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

fwiw I used to play games from the HDD on my PS2 and would use a 4:3 VGA monitor.
I used the PS2 to component cables, 3 rca couplers, and a vga to component cable.
This worked on games that supported VGA and I was able to get it working on most other games by using ESR by ffgriever.

cable.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly