Hardware Graphically, how well does the Nintendo Switch par up to the PS3

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually most of the games are play are 2d games generally so i don't think there is any game that the switch can't handle in 1080@60 in 2d
Plus as an handheld it is a powerhouse and as a home console it isn't bad eitheir, sure you can't put it next to a ps4 let alone a pc
but that's the cost of portability

If i want performance, i wouldn't even use a console anyway, i have a pc for that
the switch is a great and powerfull handheld that i can play on a bigger and better screen when i'm at home and i'm happy for that
If i want to play graphically intensives games, i have my pc for that

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The pen is attached to the portable. I said it has keyboard mouse and joystick outs for convenience if you so please, you can do everything with the pen. The point of my post is that Nintendo hides what they're really trying to sell by making it look colorful, and fun, and not listing tech specs in commercials b/c why? Thats boring. Saying HD doesn't mean any more than 720p. That is HD. My local public broadcast channel displays all of their broadcasts on TV, they do so in 720p, that is High-Definition, every television that can receive cable today, can get that channel. Just stating HD handheld that can connect to the TV doesn't sell me on the specifications of what $300 of mine is buying me.

Sorry I didn't see your post said "full HD"

Now that IS more interesting!
What does filmed television have to do with actually rendering 720p/1080p textures?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Even though Wii U plays it perfectly well?
You do realize the WiiU is a generation higher than the PS3? the PS3 was the same generation as the Wii not the WiiU, that is probably why the WiiU would play it fine but not the PS3. Still a silly thread regardless!

Last edited by Reecey,

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess if you only ever play nintendo games, its impressive. But if you actually went outside your fanboy box and played games on other platforms, its nothing impressive at all. Plenty of games have been there and done that.

Well it may seem unimpressive to you, but if you can't play those high quality games on the PS4, due to age or maybe someone isint interested in just shooters. I would see why most people would go with Nintendo over Sony since there is a lack of content for anyone below 18 to enjoy (or they just like Nintendo.)

If you take out all the games you can play on the sys like Bioshock or assasians creed. Your left with about 1 - 3 games to play in comparison to the 20 - 30 that are out that are "M" just saying bro.

Reguardless I still like both systems, its just annoying af when almost none of the other companies give a shiz about other audiences.

Reactions: Deleted User

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Switch is much, much stronger. Not even fair for the PS3. The Wii U already had a much better GPU than the PS3, although the CPU was weaker. Now with 4GB Ram, a CPU that should be much better than the PS3 CPU (in practice) it's more comparable to something in between the Wii U and Xbox One, although undocked it's a Wii U with a bit more power.

Reactions: Xabring and PkPizza

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
One thing to note, it's hard to do these comparisons, because often on PS3 the best looking games have a realistic artstyle to them (Uncharted, TLOU) while Nintendo's best looking games often have more cartoony graphics (Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey) Also, I doubt PS3 had this many 60 fps or 1080p games at launch, or even ever...

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch is much, much stronger. Not even fair for the PS3. The Wii U already had a much better GPU than the PS3, although the CPU was weaker. Now with 4GB Ram, a CPU that should be much better than the PS3 CPU (in practice) it's more comparable to something in between the Wii U and Xbox One, although undocked it's a Wii U with a bit more power.
Undocked is less powerful than the wii u. When undocked the GPU perfomance drops below to the wii u one, also the Wii U CPU is clocked a little bit higger than the switch one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well it may seem unimpressive to you, but if you can't play those high quality games on the PS4, due to age or maybe someone isint interested in just shooters. I would see why most people would go with Nintendo over Sony since there is a lack of content for anyone below 18 to enjoy (or they just like Nintendo.)

If you take out all the games you can play on the sys like Bioshock or assasians creed. Your left with about 1 - 3 games to play in comparison to the 20 - 30 that are out that are "M" just saying bro.

Reguardless I still like both systems, its just annoying af when almost none of the other companies give a shiz about other audiences.
This is another problem. The ps4 library has a lot of games for almost any audience. Horizon zero dawn comes to my mind just like uncharted. Then you have the rpgs and racing games.

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Undocked is less powerful than the wii u. When undocked the GPU perfomance drops below to the wii u one, also the Wii U CPU is clocked a little bit higger than the switch one.
Clockspeed doesn't matter when comparing different architectures. The architecture of the Wii U's CPU was old, slow and just awful, and my theory can be seen in some ports from last gen to Wii U:

Watch Dogs is a open world game where the CPU is pretty important, and even though the Wii U is lagging a lot more than the last gen systems, the graphics are actually improved a bit, and runs at a much higher FPS (because of the good GPU)

Even the Switch GPU undocked is stronger than Wii U. All that happens is that the clockspeed gets decreased. But the rest of the Tegra X1 specs it self is still better than the Radeon in the Wii U.

Reactions: PkPizza

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess if you only ever play nintendo games, its impressive. But if you actually went outside your fanboy box and played games on other platforms, its nothing impressive at all. Plenty of games have been there and done that.
You're a ducking moron. I have a gaming pc and a PS4. YOURE just a fanboy in denial

Reactions: Deleted User

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

This is a joke comment right?

BOTW in handheld mode runs at the same resolution as the Wii U with smoother framerates than docked mode and 1080P in docked mode is smoother than the Wii U, bare in mind BOTW is a Wii U game ported over to the Switch; BOTW was not built from the ground up for the Switch.

***I understand fanboys but this hate towards the Switch is just disgusting.***

Last edited by Nemix77,

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I get that the Switch is supposed to be better on paper, but some games on the PS3 look pretty good. Specifically Uncharted and TLOU.

If you want the best performance PC is the way to go, but most people are fine with middle of the road. They just want to be able to play new releases. That's why the PS4's done so well. Plus it's got great exclusives in different genres, not just shooters like some people claim.

I hope the Switch keeps getting more games. The only interesting games right now are ports, which is fine for most people since not many bought a wii u.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a joke comment right?

BOTW in handheld mode runs at the same resolution as the Wii U with smoother framerates than docked mode and 1080P in docked mode is smoother than the Wii U, bare in mind BOTW is a Wii U game ported over to the Switch; BOTW was not built from the ground up for the Switch.

***I understand fanboys but this hate towards the Switch is just disgusting.***
BOTW runs on 900p on docked mode and on 720p undocked. The resolution even drops during gameplay to maintaing the frame rate. And guess what? Undocked runs better because the internal resolution is lower than in docked mode, thus allowing for higher frame rate, though it still has frame drops here and there...

Not sure where you get your facts boy... Plus i was talking about clock speeds, i know the tegra x1 is a supperior gpu and is still considered modern tech compared to the old wii u one.

Geez.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
BOTW runs on 900p on docked mode and on 720p undocked. The resolution even drops during gameplay to maintaing the frame rate. And guess what? Undocked runs better because the internal resolution is lower than in docked mode, thus allowing for higher frame rate, though it still has frame drops here and there...

Not sure where you get your facts boy... Plus i was talking about clock speeds, i know the tegra x1 is a supperior gpu and is still considered modern tech compared to the old wii u one.

Geez.
You missed the point. It always ran at 720p on Wii U.

Reactions: PkPizza

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll take that 'L' my bad, I totally forgot about the the docked resolution for BOTW.

You still have to take into account BOTW was not built from the ground up for the Switch, the Switch has 2x the amount of ram the Wii U has for game usage which is very beneficial for this type of game (open world); BOTW on the Switch is clearly a Wii U port.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll take that 'L' my bad, I totally forgot about the the docked resolution for BOTW.

You still have to take into account BOTW was not built from the ground up for the Switch, the Switch has 2x the amount of ram the Wii U has for game usage which is very beneficial for this type of game (open world); BOTW on the Switch is clearly a Wii U port.
I know already... not sure why you repeated it though :unsure:

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My point is the next Zelda is going to built from the ground up for the Switch then you would be able to compare apple to oranges aka Switch vs PS3 graphically, even by the end of the Switch's life there's no why any games are going to look as good as the Xbox One mind you the PS4.

I've posted even I bought the Switch that I see it more as a handheld with TV functionality than the other way around because as a handheld it's clearly ahead of it's time but as a console compared to other consoles of the generation it's definitely lacking on the graphics horsepower.

The above was just prepare myself to getting my hopes to high for the Switch in the case I use it as a console mainly in which I do now but I don't expect much graphically and pretty much purely buying the Switch for Nintendo 1st party titles plus it's handheld functionality (being able to play full fledged console games on the go).

Last edited by Nemix77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: possibly. It's dry cereal