Hardware Got my 3DS back from Nintendo Repair

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
Masterpaul said:
It was made wobbly on purpose, to limit strain on the hinge. Some minimal wobbliness is normal but nothing over the top though.
DS lite cracked because it had too much strain on the hinge.
My DS Lite had a wobbly hinge but the hinge still cracked.
My DSi XL has no wobble at all. And Nintendo(UK) told me on the phone that they had had zero DSi XL's returned for the hinge problem that the DS Lite had. That they resolved the problem by changing the design. So why does the 3DS need a hinge wobble to preserve the hinge from cracking?

Edited: to add an 'i' to DSi

Masterpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
mabilouz said:
Masterpaul said:
It was made wobbly on purpose, to limit strain on the hinge. Some minimal wobbliness is normal but nothing over the top though.
My DSi XL has no wobble at all. And Nintendo(UK) told me on the phone that they had had zero DSi XL's returned for the hinge problem that the DS Lite had. That they resolved the problem by changing the design. So why does the 3DS need a hinge wobble to preserve the hinge from cracking?

Yes but insnt there size difference? Its also a thicker hinge.

--------

I dont think 3ds lite will be just an redesign, i think there gonna add something else. E.g mega-pixels and flash in the camera... Attract photographers... Also depending on the sales of xperia compared to 3ds they might add a mobile phone revision.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
Masterpaul said:
mabilouz said:
Masterpaul said:

Yes but insnt there size difference? Its also a thicker hinge,
True enough, but if as it seems the strain is being caused by the 'positioner barrel' on the right hinge. Balancing it with a barrel on the left would even out the strain. In addition stronger plastic used on the shell would help remove the problem.

Edited Added Full stop and capital letter

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
These kind of topics really pisses me off! >:i

A LOUD SNAP AND A SLIGHT WOBBLE IS PERFECTLY NORMAL FFS! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY

Why can't people understand that. As said many times, the 3DS' hinge slightly wobbles to prevent broken hinges. Nintendo can't just make perfectly tight top screen, they'd all snap off in an instant.

I just don't understand why people get really annoyed with the wobble. Maybe I'm one of the few who doesn't shake his 3DS whole the time.

Mark my words. With the release of Ocarina Of Time 3D this issue will be totally forgotten

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
Lube_Skyballer said:
These kind of topics really pisses me off! >:i

A LOUD SNAP AND A SLIGHT WOBBLE IS PERFECTLY NORMAL FFS! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY

Why can't people understand that. As said many times, the 3DS' hinge slightly wobbles to prevent broken hinges. Nintendo can't just make perfectly tight top screen, they'd all snap off in an instant.

I just don't understand why people get really annoyed with the wobble. Maybe I'm one of the few who doesn't shake his 3DS whole the time.

Mark my words. With the release of Ocarina Of Time 3D this issue will be totally forgotten
Because there is no proof it fixes anything as yet, it is to early to tell. It may fix it, but at this stage it is just speculation. And some people appear to be possessed of units that have a very excessive hinge wobble.

Also as I said earlier having a hinge wobble did not stop my DS Lite developing a broken hinge

Masterpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
mabilouz said:
Masterpaul said:
mabilouz said:
Masterpaul said:

True enough, but if as it seems the strain is being caused by the 'positioner barrel' on the right hinge. Balancing it with a barrel on the left would even out the strain. In addition stronger plastic used on the shell would help remove the problem.

Even laptops have wobbly screens. In the event where your 3ds falls on the ground... the hinge will break easier if its stiff or wobbly?

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
tenentenen said:
Just saying, people are blowing this SO FAR out of proportion, it's ridiculous.
dry.gif

Yes, having a wobbly hinge is annoying for some, depending on how wobbly, but by no means does this:
  • ruin the system.
  • make games unplayable.
  • make Nintendo bad designers.
  • warrant hostility towards anyone or anything, including Nintendo.
  • mean they will change the design in future revisions.

Stop making mountains out of molehills.
I agree with you, it's just not nearly as bad as you make it out to be

+1

I've never had a hardware issue that was Nintendo's fault, except maybe the GBA SP with its shitty L and R buttons (to this day its the only console that has broken because of use). The only time I've had to send something to Nintendo for fixing was my Wii cuz my siblings constantly knocked it over. Suck it up and stop whining about "how bad Nintendo is at designing. Ur consoles break because YOU can't take care of them. I have a DS PHAT and 3DS both of which are in perfect working order.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are still saying this is a problem? It's supposed to wobble so it does not stress the hinge by keeping it completely still, that is what used to break the hinges on previous models. And as for the snap when you open it, mine, my two brothers, and my friend all have a loud snap when we open ours and it snaps into place. Sometimes there is even a slight snap noise for when you're closing it. Just as it goes into sleep mode.
And the reason 3DS did not have great sales is because the launch titles suck, and it's $250, that's is a lot for most people, especially if it's not a holiday.

Masterpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Tornadosurvives said:
This clear case fixed the wobbly hinge problem for me.

But.. but.. nykos battery?

QUOTE(omgpwn666 @ May 3 2011, 08:26 PM) People are still saying this is a problem? It's supposed to wobble so it does not stress the hinge by keeping it completely still, that is what used to break the hinges on previous models. And as for the snap when you open it, mine, my two brothers, and my friend all have a loud snap when we open ours and it snaps into place. Sometimes there is even a slight snap noise for when you're closing it. Just as it goes into sleep mode.
And the reason 3DS did not have great sales is because the launch titles suck, and it's $250, that's is a lot for most people, especially if it's not a holiday.

I wouldn't say the launch titles suck. SOme of them are really good. I mean even ubisoft manage to excel it self and release a good game for 3ds.It just that there was lack of promotion, promoting the original titles. Nintendo knows ithe price can stay this way untill psp2 hits, then they can drop it, and undercut psp2, and add a nice mega bundle for the price of psp2.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...My god, people. You'd think even the reviewers for GBAtemp would at least have some sense...That loud snap? That wobble? IT'S NORMAL. Post above was right. You people are making a fucking mountain out of a damn hill. They did the hinge on purpose. The XL is different from the 3DS, and MUCH BIGGER. And MUCH TOUGHER because of that. IT's a bigger hinge.

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the 3DS if you take care of the fucking thing. The 3DS is FAR from a disaster. The ONLY reason it's not selling as well as Nintendo wanted is because it's expensive.

PS: To 10_0ARMY, thats odd...so far the SP is the only Nintendo console to never have broken an L or R button on it...

Why IS everyone complaining so much about a stupid wobbly hinge? Remember the DSlite? Not one ounce of wobble. Hell, I think even the DSi has a bit of wobble to it. IT DOES NOT RUIN GAMEPLAY OR THE SYSTEM. SHUT UP ALREADY. I expected better from you people.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
For the last fudging time:
IT
IS
MEANT
TO
WOBBLE

It's a little thing called SCIENCE. Ever heard of it?
It's to stop the gohram screen breaking off from the gohram base.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
Masterpaul said:
mabilouz said:
Masterpaul said:
mabilouz said:
Masterpaul said:

Even laptops have wobbly screens. In the event where your 3ds falls on the ground... the hinge will break easier if its stiff or wobbly?
My DSLite never fell on the ground it had a wobbley hinge and it still broke. And having a hinge wobble would not protect a 3DS if dropped.

QUOTE(10_0ARMY @ May 3 2011, 06:25 PM)
I've never had a hardware issue that was Nintendo's fault, except maybe the GBA SP with its shitty L and R buttons (to this day its the only console that has broken because of use). The only time I've had to send something to Nintendo for fixing was my Wii cuz my siblings constantly knocked it over. Suck it up and stop whining about "how bad Nintendo is at designing. Ur consoles break because YOU can't take care of them. I have a DS PHAT and 3DS both of which are in perfect working order.
I never mistreated or dropped my DSLite the hinge broke one day on opening it, so you are wrong. Perhaps you yourself should suck that up... or whatever that vulgar phrase of yours was.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mabilouz said:
My DSLite never fell on the ground it had a wobbley hinge and it still broke. And having a hinge wobble would not protect a 3DS if dropped.

Then don't drop it. NOTHING is protected, on it's own, from dropping. You know...the...really newage idea of...gravity. I know it's only come around in the last few centurys or so, but still.

And actually no. A looser hinge IS less likely to break then a tight hinge. Pressure, good man. Pressure.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
shinkukage09 said:
mabilouz said:
Masterpaul said:

Then don't drop it. NOTHING is protected, on it's own, from dropping. You know...the...really newage idea of...gravity. I know it's only come around in the last few centurys or so, but still.
Dear God can you read? The person I quoted was postulating that a hinge wobble would give protection to a dropped 3DS. I simply pointed out that it would not. So if you want to lecture people about gravity I suggest you lecture the person that said it not me.

Masterpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I ment what would make it more shock proof? Would the shock of impact be to great on the hinge, if it was ultra stiff? Jeasus LOL

And yes portables are ment to be drop proof to a certain extent, arnt they? There portable. I remember throwing my GAMEBOY classic against the wall with all my force, nothing happened to it. I remember throwing my GBA its still alive.

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
Masterpaul said:
I ment what would make it more shock proof? Would the shock of impact be to great on the hinge, if it was ultra stiff? Jeasus LOL

And yes portables are ment to be drop proof to a certain extent, arnt they? There portable. I remember throwing my GAMEBOY classic against the wall with all my force, nothing happened to it. I remember throwing my GBA its still alive.
I remember back when handhelds like the Gameboy could take a beating. This is a prime example.
Nowadays everything seems to break much easier.
But then again you are supposed to take care of your handhelds, so they don't break.
Also, I seem to be one of the few, whose 3DS barely even wobbles at all. And I play it on a regular basis.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sending it in had to be the WORST idea. The Hinge issue seems to be random between 3DS's, i would have just taken it back to the store (Like i did).

First one was pretty good, but had a busted D-Pad, my second one had a wobbly ass screen, and my 3rd one is damn near perfect (Its not loose, but its not super tight either)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
I will so laugh if your "3DS Lite" retains the "wobbly" hinge.
laugh.gif

Masterpaul said:
I dont think 3ds lite will be just an redesign, i think there gonna add something else. E.g mega-pixels and flash in the camera... Attract photographers... Also depending on the sales of xperia compared to 3ds they might add a mobile phone revision.

Most of that is a doubt it, especially the last one .
tongue.gif

Masterpaul said:
But.. but.. nykos battery?

PowerPlay
smileipb2.png

I wouldn't say the launch titles suck. SOme of them are really good. I mean even ubisoft manage to excel it self and release a good game for 3ds.It just that there was lack of promotion, promoting the original titles. Nintendo knows ithe price can stay this way untill psp2 hits, then they can drop it, and undercut psp2, and add a nice mega bundle for the price of psp2.
I doubt that would happen.

QUOTE(Masterpaul @ May 3 2011, 06:02 PM) I ment what would make it more shock proof? Would the shock of impact be to great on the hinge, if it was ultra stiff? Jeasus LOL

So all non-portable things aren't made to be "drop proof"? That doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE(ZaeZae64 @ May 3 2011, 06:09 PM)
I remember back when handhelds like the Gameboy could take a beating.
I remember when they didn't have so much stuff pack into it.
tongue.gif

Anyway the wobble is there to help not make break proof.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...