Hacking "Going back to 100% stock" - Will formatting remove the Home

mistergin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this question has been asked but I thought my circumstances may differ a bit so figured I'd venture a guess..

Installed the HBC after updating to 3.4, went successful.

Figured out it really wasn't what I was looking for, started realizing it probably was best not to potentially brick my daughter's xmas presents lol...

I've purchased the Internet channel, but aside from some high scores, if formatting cleaned everything out, I wouldn't have any objections paying another $5 (to repurchase the internet channel) for my haste in figuring if I really wanted to do this...

My primary concern is to make sure that in the future, should Nintendo decide to brick HBC users for some reason, that I can avoid it.

It sounds like formatting will do the trick, but are there any semi-official (or REALLY smart) answers to this question that I can rely on? Googled and found yahoo answers, a thread or two on this forum, but nothing seemingly conclusive.

Just wanna admit I wasn't prepared to jump into the scene yet, tuck tail, and wait a few weeks to see how often I even use the new console
rolleyes.gif

TIA for any help... I had heard going online may affect logs or such that Nintendo could find should I send it in for a warranty issue and as I use the Internet channel for youtube and a couple sites, I figured I'd check to see if that specifically changes the answer?

D

Deleted User

Why would you uninstall HBC? You fear it would do anything? Let me clarify this:

1) First, I went online with Backup games, and Pirated Wiiwares too, nothing ever happened...
2)I too have pirated Internet Channel and used it on daily basis, again, nothing ever happened...
3)If you're afraid of the Wii sending online logs via Wiiconnect24, well, you shouldn't. Everything is the same to me....
4)If you are afraid of future Nintendo updates, the solution is simple. Don't update your Wii and install Starfall.
5)And well, if Nintendo ever delivers such fix, we'll be the first ones to hear about it, and well, there's going to be workaround...

Anyway, if you said HBC isn't your thing, then do this:
1)Remove the channel via Data Management

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
afif95, he knows that currently Nintendo isn't doing anything to people with the Homebrew Channel but he wishes to be safe if they do anything in the future.
Also, you will not have to pay to download the internet channel as it will be able to be downloaded after it is deletes, assuming that you bought it.

D

Deleted User

Ah ok. But I believe if anything, it must be through an update.... or so I thought.

Raziel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree with afif95, but i understand you concern also. there are a few ways to avoid updating your wii after pimping it out.

mistergin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Ah ok. But I believe if anything, it must be through an update.... or so I thought.

Yeah, my daughter loves animal crossings she got, so I'm worried next time she plays unsupervised, she might accidentally update it, etc.

I like to and want to mod, but I'm doing it on the wrong console so I just need to go back to "good" (according to the big N) in case a laser gets b0rked or something and I have to send it in for repairs

mistergin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Why would you uninstall HBC? You fear it would do anything? Let me clarify this:

1) First, I went online with Backup games, and Pirated Wiiwares too, nothing ever happened...
2)I too have pirated Internet Channel and used it on daily basis, again, nothing ever happened...
3)If you're afraid of the Wii sending online logs via Wiiconnect24, well, you shouldn't. Everything is the same to me....
4)If you are afraid of future Nintendo updates, the solution is simple. Don't update your Wii and install Starfall.
5)And well, if Nintendo ever delivers such fix, we'll be the first ones to hear about it, and well, there's going to be workaround...

Anyway, if you said HBC isn't your thing, then do this:
1)Remove the channel via Data Management

Now that my motives are a bit clearer, any idea on the answer to whether or not a reformat will get me back to "good", or if I've already gone past the point of no return after doing the TP soft mod to install the HBC?

Ga1l0w

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Format if you're paranoid I guess. If you don't want homebrew, go under wii options menu -> save data -> channels and just remove it. That should be good enough, unless you installed an IOS or a unofficial .wad file.

gumbyscout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mistergin said:
afif95 said:

Yeah, my daughter loves animal crossings she got, so I'm worried next time she plays unsupervised, she might accidentally update it, etc.
Starfall can block updates from games. I think, from what I heard, that the Animal Crossing update doesn't really do much in terms of nullifying homebrew capability.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To remove the Homebrew Channel, use AnyTitle Deleter to remove title HAXX under the Installed Titles section.

Removing under Data Management will still leave behind a ticket which Nintendo can find.

Then format your Wii. If all you did was install the HBC, then that's all you need to do.

Ga1l0w

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
gumbyscout said:
mistergin said:
afif95 said:

Starfall can block updates from games. I think, from what I heard, that the Animal Crossing update doesn't really do much in terms of nullifying homebrew capability.

Starfall blocks disk updates, and animal crossing comes with 2 (if I can remember this right) One of them is a the new system update, and the other is for wii speak to work. I installed them both manually, and then removed the update from the backup with the wiibrickblocker.

And won't things get screwy if you use any title deleter to remove the HBC, while you are in the HBC? Or will it just reboot to the menu.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Ga1l0w said:
gumbyscout said:
mistergin said:
afif95 said:

Starfall blocks disk updates, and animal crossing comes with 2 (if I can remember this right) One of them is a the new system update, and the other is for wii speak to work. I installed them both manually, and then removed the update from the backup with the wiibrickblocker.

And won't things get screwy if you use any title deleter to remove the HBC, while you are in the HBC? Or will it just reboot to the menu.

good question

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It will code dump.

I'm almost 100% sure.

But it's not like, "You're trying to return to the non-existent Homebrew Channel. I will now delete 1/3 of your NAND."

EDIT: And it keeps a list of downloaded titles at format so you can download them again for free.

Jytach

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't wanna create a new topic so:

- If I just format my wii, will the cIOS be deleted?
- Will the custom tickets be deleted?
- Would I have any problems with updates after using cIOS downgrader / IOS downgrader?

caitsith2

Trophies
a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
Website
www.caitsith2.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you are worried about update being hit accidently, set the parental controls. There are some options automatically blocked and need parental control pin to perform, if the parental controls are set.

1. Changing parental controls. (Don't get locked out by your daughter.)
2. Changing internet settings. (And possibly screw up use of the internet channel in the process.)
3. Changing Country.
4. System Update. (Even the message about updates won't let you update, if the parental controls are set.) (However, disc updates are still enforced.)
5. Format Wii.

However, make sure your daughter never finds wii.marcansoft.com/parental.psp, or else the parental controls will be pointless.

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you tell your siblings NEVER to update or else it'll break the Wii, you should be fine, because Nintendo Can't brick the Wii without sending software to it via updates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A