Ghost of Tsushima set for a June release date

The highly anticipated PlayStation 4 exclusive, Ghost of Tsushima now has a release date. Developer Sucker Punch’s upcoming game will be available on June 26, 2020. A new story trailer was uploaded alongside the launch date reveal, in addition to revealing three different collectors editions.

6B55CC93-FE37-4A14-9424-628571BBF18F.jpeg 6766A2EF-545A-410F-8C29-8C0E2D69224D.jpeg 78D3575F-0599-4BCC-9277-8D1061CCE9EE.jpeg
Retailing for $69.99 will be a Digital Deluxe Edition that features in-game items, including a character skin, weapons, armor, and a horse, a PS4 theme, a digital art book, and director’s commentary on the development of Ghost of Tsushima. For the same price, you can get the physical Special Edition which comes with a steelbook and the same digital items mentioned before. Then, for a whopping $169.99 is the Collector’s Edition, and it comes with everything previously mentioned, along with physical items like a cloth map, a wrapping cloth, a war banner, an art book, and a “Sakai” mask replica. Those who pre-order prior to release will get a PSN avatar, a PS4 theme, and a digital soundtrack with select songs from the game.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Revenge is bad my friend. Don't go to the dark side. :-(

How is this game different than any other samurai game? No joke, I really don't know.

Reactions: yoyoyo69
D

Deleted User

I'm sure I'll check it out because of the developer. I'm glad that Sucker Punch is still around and kicking.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Very hyped for this. I'm kind of in an awkward spot where I want to wait and play it on PS5 because I have the OG PS4 and I know it won't run as well, but I also don't feel like waiting until November or so.

Reactions: T-hug

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
How the hell am I supposed to have the money and time to spend on these games in the next few month?

Give me a break.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looks like this is going to be the last major release for PS4? Unless ff7 remake second (and third) part will be released in the future

Reactions: Xzi

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are several Stories and even Anime about the Mongolian invasion in the 12th century with Tsushima usually in the center ...
If they actually did a good job with displaying Historic facts "acurate" it could be very interesting.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Gotta be honest, hard to not be cynical about this game. The actual gameplay they showed in the initial reveal trailer from 2 years back was underwhelming "cinematic" nonsense with no depth to be seen, and every trailer since then has either avoided showing gameplay, or showed just more of that same stuff. I'm sure there's an audience for it, but I doubt it'll be me. Maybe I'll grab it sometime after launch, if it ends up being mechanically deeper than it looks.

In the meantime, Nioh 2 awaits!

D

Deleted User

https://www.dualshockers.com/ghost-of-tsushima-new-details/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostoftsu..._ghost_of_tsushima_details_from_the_official/

More information from an article in the Official Playstation Magazine.

Ghost Of Tsushima steps into the light
You can take on Khaaaaaaan and his Mongol Horde from 26 June

Developed by Sucker Punch, already known for the slick-to-navigate open worlds it created for the Sly Raccoon and InFamous series, Ghost gives you the whole island of Tsushima to explore while you attempt to repel a brutal Mongol invasion, based on real-life events.

If you’re not a history buff, fear not: this is far from a dry lesson. Sucker Punch is dedicated to bringing the drama of an epic samurai movie to the game, with the team citing the likes of Akira Kurosawa as inspiration. Shigeru Umebayashi is on the team as a composer – if you don’t recognize his name, you may well know the scores for House Of Flying Daggers, Yumeji, and Fearless. He’s a master of Asian cinema soundtracks, and the game sounds great.

You play as Jin Sakai, trained in the way of the samurai and taught to fight with honor by his uncle Shimura, Lord of Tsushima. Jin’s beliefs are sorely tested when he fights on the island’s beaches, trying to repel the invading Mongol Empire fleet. After the initial attack, Tsushima’s forces are devastated, making him one of the last remaining samurai on the island (we know Shimura, at least, lives beyond the initial invasion). Narrowly escaping death, he realizes that to fight back against overwhelming odds might require him to use more than his samurai’s honourable skills. He must master the Way Of The Ghost, ninja-like skills that will enable him to take on a skilled enemy that heavily outnumbers him.

The mantle of The Ghost turns you into a vigilante-type figure, battling for the oppressed people of occupied Tsushima. Which, of course, puts you right at the top of the Mongols’ most-wanted list. Their forces are led by Khotun Khan, a fictional analog of Kublai Khan (who led the Mongols at the time of the real invasion and went on to become the first Yuan emperor of China). As Jin carries Tsushima’s last shred of hope, if the Khan and his forces can snuff him out, Tsushima will fully fall to despair.

ISLAND GETAWAY

Again nodding to realism, you explore the island’s lush environments without the help of waypoints, choosing where to explore next using landmarks and your knowledge of the world. Sucker Punch is no stranger to creating open worlds, but the fairly minimalist nature of the environments is a bit of a departure for the developer. Time in the story will pass as you explore, with titles telling you how much time it’s been since the invasion began.

Exploration might be pretty free and easy, but once you reach groups of enemies things become much more focused. Clashes are swift and decisive, whether you choose to tackle a situation head-on like a samurai or sneakily like a ghost. Quick iaijutsu strikes with your sheathed sword can spill enemy blood. Likewise, you can use a grappling hook to sneak through enemy camps unseen, dropping down to attack people or sneaking up on them from behind (even stabbing them through closed folding screens). Jin also has his gadgets: sticky bombs and fire arrows that can help him spread disarray through an enemy camp.

SETTLING THE SCORE

Just as the way the world unfolds depends on what you want to do, so does the story – to a point. As you wage your one-man war on the Mongols you ally with several characters, and how you decide to deal with situations can determine the strength of your bonds. Shimura’s none too impressed with your spectral approach. Makoto, an expert archer and just as handy with a sword, can be one of your best allies, helping to spread the legend that you’re a vengeful ghost, but if she disagrees with your actions you may end up crossing swords.

So far the plot looks tense and gripping, with some fantastic tech behind the cutscenes (we’ve been especially impressed with the blood splatter – Ghost is going to be a grimy game in the best of ways). As he’s torn between his upbringing as an honorable samurai and the guerilla warfare approach of the Way Of The Ghost, Jin’s experience is going to be reflected in more than different skill trees. A real conflict goes on inside his heart over the course of the game as he struggles with doing what is right for the people of his island, and what it means to be their protector.

SAMURAI BUT DIFFERENT

While playing as a samurai is hardly a new concept for a videogame, few have really captured the idea of what it meant to be one of the noble warriors beyond combat. By allowing you to follow your own plans and come up with angles of attack, in Ghost Of Tsushima the experience will feel a lot more legitimate than simply playing a character who has samurai fighting skills. Your journey across the island and your iterations, are just as much a part of being a samurai as the fighting. So far it’s looking like everyone’s journey is going to feel like their own, which is exactly what we want from a samurai game – and we don’t have to wait long for it.

Ghost Of Tsushima lands on PS4’s beaches 26 June. It’s almost here.

OTHER TIDBITS:

• The Mongols aren’t just setting up camps, they’ve captured some castles.

• Sucker Punch says its ethos was “mud, blood, and steel”. All three are stunningly rendered

• A good old-fashioned stab from behind is only the tip of Jin’s array of Ghost skills, which can see him devastate a camp full of invaders singlehanded.

• Beautiful green vistas (sadly occasionally on fire) make Tsushima easy to explore. You just want to see it all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol