Gex and Tomba are both getting remastered releases on modern platforms

sdasdasdasdasdasdas.png

Two essential PlayStation 1 games are getting a modern re-release. Whoopee Camp is developing an enhanced remaster of Tomba!, a 1997 platformer. The game's original director is on board with the project as well. Tomba! will be running on the Carbon Engine, Limited Run Games' in-house retro game engine, which is what the GBC Shantae remaster ran on, and developed by Modern Vintage Gamer. This remaster will be available on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and Steam.

That wasn't the only announcement, either. Gex is coming back, in the form of the Gex Remastered Trilogy. This collection will pack together Gex, Gex: Enter the Gecko, Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko, with all three set to be running in the Carbon Engine, too. The Gex games will be released on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why the hell has nobody complained about Limited Run Games yet?
Honestly, I don't know much about them, but I absolutely despise the concept of a limited-time release of a game. Based on their name, seems like the main thing they do- which is a massive L for preservation.
My bad, I should have been more thoughtful !
You're good, I appreciate it! :)
Certified F girl energy!
I don't know if this is meant to be a compliment or not, but it's accurate either way, lmao.

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't know much about them, but I absolutely despise the concept of a limited-time release of a game. Based on their name, seems like the main thing they do- which is a massive L for preservation.

You're good, I appreciate it! :)

I don't know if this is meant to be a compliment or not, but it's accurate either way, lmao.
Idk either tbh 😅
Post automatically merged:

It's just upscaled emulation. Not native source ports. Pass.
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 383092
Yes. Didn't saw the trailer back then, now i do.

Last edited by PopcornSweetie,
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did love tomba 2, but I had passed on gexx. A lot of mascot games back then.

Why the hell has nobody complained about Limited Run Games yet?
It's a matter of: if they don't do it, no one will. The games they publish are games that didn't get a physical release, just digital. Or no release at all. They distribute as well, I think, so it's a matter of getting these games out there in small batches so they don't go bankrupt from games that don't sell. This is my understanding, but could be wrong.

As far as original games only they publish, I'm not sure how they handle those. Differently maybe?

Reactions: Kraken_X

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, the trailers just assume you know what these games are? Well, I don't.

Still, nice for the fans of the games.
Consider this the perfect opportunity to edumacate yourself about good games from the mid-90’s, when platformers were king and every company had a mascot. Not many have survived the mascot wars, the names of the fallen shall always be remembered.

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t understand what Limited Run’s “Carbon Engine” is. It says it’s their in-house retro game engine, but I mean what is that? Can’t be an emulator if they’re upscaling and altering the games. So it’s like some mediator between PC/modern consoles where if they can port the game to this engine, then it will be compatible with all their target platforms? I just thought Limited Run did physical releases for rare games, but this is a much more involved-sounding process; and these games will have digital releases anyway. So good on them. Hope they run well, I’m sure they will.

I’m a huge Tomba fan, but particularly Tomba 2. And I’m a purist, so I don’t really need to play anything but the OG games. Still it’s cool they’re doing this. Guess I’ll buy it.

supaplex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Did you know? There is actually FOUR Gex games!

This is the first one, that wasn't on Playstation.
No, there are three games, the game you posted was actually also on PS1 (and Saturn and PC and 3DO).

Fourth Gex game was planned and supposedly it was converted into Whiplash on PS2.

Reactions: eduall

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol