Gaming Getting fast download speeds?

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know your probably like omfg Aijelsop quit asking questions ur so annoying, but how do u get fast downloads? Some threads I've read has people saying they have 5000kb and 1mb average download speed? Mines on average 250-300kb/s

we have a netgear router and it's x10, it works out 2 houses down so you'd figure it's fast right?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it usually depends on who provides your Internet, usually called ISPs (Internet Service Providers). ISPs have a lot of customers and they can't just give out bandwidth willy nilly, they have to allot certain amounts to some users and bigger amounts to other users. This is usually how the cost of Internet bill is determined, pay more = more bandwidth = more download speed.

There is also the fact the sometimes the server that you're downloading from is congested or far away. Or maybe you're downloading from a file sharing site which will limit the customers who use their free version.

To find out your maximum download speed, go to SpeedTest.net.

I have a download speed of 20Mb (Mb does not equal megabytes, Mb = megabits). The conversion from Mb to MB is roughly 10Mb = 1MB or 0.5Mb = 500KB/s. The reason when you download a file and your speed is measured in MB is that its measuring the rate at which file being obtained at.

For example, I have a 20Mb connection which means I will get roughly, 2MB/s if the server allows it, which is an accurate measurement.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aijelsop said:
AT&T sucks then, don't they?
I've had AT&T and the max I got was 170KB's. If you read the small text on their commercials for their "High Speed Internet", you'll find its only a couple of Mb's. My Comcast connection is superior, nonetheless.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
it usually depends on who provides your Internet, usually called ISPs (Internet Service Providers). ISPs have a lot of customers and they can't just give out bandwidth willy nilly, they have to allot certain amounts to some users and bigger amounts to other users. This is usually how the cost of Internet bill is determined, pay more = more bandwidth = more download speed.
No offense, but that's all bullshit rhetoric spewed from the telco's and cableco's.

Had the Telecoms done what they were supposed to do, we would have had nation wide door-to-door fiber (that means fiber optic running to the pole outside your house, at the VERY minimum, if not a connection to your house and NOT just a fiber backbone) back in 2000 or 20002. In return for doing this, the telco's got BILLIONS of dollars in tax breaks, however they never delivered on this and haven't paid back a single cent.
The amount of copper line in this country (the US) is sickening and a testament to how far we've fallen behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology. Where we once were an innovator and leader, we're now struggling with antiquated infrastructures across the whole board: trains/transport, roads, telephone, tv, POWER -- this was made a huge point about 2 years ago, when they found that a massive portion of the power grid in the western/south-western part of the country could be knocked out if a certain point was 'hit' in an attack or had a failure.

While what you said is true, there ARE limits and more people need more bandwidth, the real reason for poor speeds isn't the number of users it's the greedy and cheap companies who don't want to invest in upgrading their infrastructure and would rather increase prices and decrease service quality, especially when in many areas there is a monopoly on anything better than DSL.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Basically the above post...

Proof of how shitty it is in the US was when the FCC changed the definition for "broadband" to mean anything with a 2 megabit down speed (250 KB/sec) or higher... and many companies had to stop advertising themselves as broadband providers because they were giving customers less than that (whereas fiber-optic gets you 15 megabits or more (1.8 MB/sec), and as twiz said we'd be on fiber-optic if they weren't so fucking lazy and greedy).

Now you all know I'm generally one to inquire why companies do things they do, but I can tell you that your average ISP is lazy and greedy and it's generally their fault. The FCC rags on US ISPs all the time for fucking shit up.

Hell, anybody remember the peering issue between Level3 and Cogent?
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/105...pute_renew_deal
They had some piss fight over a couple thousand dollars in fees neither one could agree on, so they quit peering. Now, these companies you may never have heard of are actually the ISPs that give the ISPs we deal with (such as RoadRunner and Comcast) the bandwidth they re-sell to us, so when they stopped peering it cut of one section of the internet from another. Hell, it was cutting off internet access to colleges and businesses, who were losing millions of dollars per hour their service was malfunctioning.

It's pathetic.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
In the UK, we've had 24Mb bband rolled out across the country. What this actually means is 20Mb bband in city centers and 2-8Mb bband in the suburbs and rural areas. Being in the city center, I can upgrade to 20Mb bband any time I wish, but that would mean losing my "unlimited" internet.

For now I have to live with 8Mb bband and 800KB/s downloads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: