Getting a Vita with my Christmas money...

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Games & Content' started by Sterling, Dec 26, 2012.

Dec 26, 2012

zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

Message Count:
    United States
    I recommend a psn+ subscription, especially if you get the $50 one year membership. The "free" downloads and discounts each month are normally excellent, and the cloud saves are essental if you have a 8-4GB memory card.
    DrOctapu likes this.

Joe88 [λ̨̞̪͖̫̤̪̫̩̻̯̯̤͚̣͍̠̅͌ͧ͑ͤͫͧ͐̎̆̅̎́̀̚̕͟]

Message Count:
    United States
    you can get one for a bit cheaper on ebay
    usually around $30-40

soulx #eattherude

Message Count:
    Ashmore and Cartier Islands
    My only advice is not to buy Gravity Rush.

Seriously. Get Persona 4 instead.
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Gravity is for weaklings.

Message Count:
    Poland
    Wat?

Why? That game's amazing. Admittedly a tad short, yes, but worth every penny - I 100%'ed it and it's been a while since I played a game that was so much fun, and fun is what games are all about.

If not for the fact that I have it on PS+, it would be one of the first I'd buy, and in all factuality I'm still going to just for the sake of putting it on my shelf.
    Last edited by Foxi4, Dec 27, 2012

soulx #eattherude

Message Count:
    Not even close. That game is the very definition of tedious.

I gave my thoughts already in another thread so I'll just quote them here,

Amazing is not a word one should use to describe this game. Not at all.
    heartgold likes this.
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    /NoTaste B-)

Seriously though, stellar visuals, captivating art style, fantastic game mechanics which give you a whole lot of control as long as you master them, well-designed combat, open-ended for an obvious sequel or DLC. I can't find a single flaw that I could put my finger on, but hey, tastes. It wasn't tedious at all in my opinion - I specifically enjoyed the challenges as they took full use of Kat's powers. They enticed you to progress and learn the mechanics by heart and the frustration when I was a few seconds/points short was not the "Alright, I am so over this" kind, it was "Nope, amma gonna beat you anyways" kind. But hey, it's all about tastes.

DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

Message Count:
    United States
    This is a bad opinion.

GET BOTH.
    Sir Derpingtons likes this.

soulx #eattherude

Message Count:
    Game mechanics? You mean like struggling to perform a gravity kick where you're supposed to thanks to the cumbersome controls? Or performing a dodge by swiping on the touchscreen and hoping that the game registers your touch?

Missions are repetitive as fuck and generally consists of either 1. fetch quest, 2. human taxi or 3. fighting a bunch of generic blobs?

The game had a good concept. I came in all hyped to play it hearing some of the praise it was given by some people. But god, the game did not deliver.

Maybe the eventual sequel will be better but this is not worth a purchase unless you find it in the bargain-bin. Even with the Vita's small library, you might as well get something good like MGS HD Collection (@OP, handheld versions are both inferior to console brethren but if you haven't played them yet, def. worth a purchase) instead of wasting your money on this.
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    Haven't used dodge a single time until after End Game when I was fighting additional bosses, and once I have, I had zero problems with it as the screen is well-within the reach of your thumbs. The controls are not cumbersome - they just have to be mastered and I've never had huge problems with performing fast gravity kicks as they have a degree of autoaim. Perhaps the accuracy could be improved a little, but it was not a game breaking problem to me in any way - I'm convinced it was my own trigger-happiness more than anything as when I aimed right, Kat flew right where I wanted her to.

You forgot Time Attack.

New game > Port, unless the game is obscure and was never released in a language that you understand. I have my PS2 to play Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 on, thank you very much. As I said, this all depends on tastes.
    Last edited by Foxi4, Dec 28, 2012

soulx #eattherude

Message Count:
    Not when that new game is crap. I understand that the Vita's library is small and has few exclusives but that doesn't mean mediocre games like this should be praised.

I would much rather replay MGS3 than have to suffer through Gravity Rush.
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    I'm going to use your own argument here. Xenoblade Chronicles is critically-acclaimed and has a high Metacritic score, so it must be good. Gravity Rush is critically-acclaimed and has a high Metacritic score, so it must be overrated because you didn't like it.

C'mon. Be fair.

soulx #eattherude

Message Count:
    We must have different standards then. The difference is that Gravity Rush has a score of 83 and quite a few negative/mediocre reviews from what I see while Xenoblade has a score of 92 and only has one largely negative review.

But when I brought up Metacritic scores, that was to say that your opinion did not reflect the general opinion on the game. Not that review scores matter when it comes to your own tastes. I'll happily admit that when it comes to critics, my opinion on this game is in the minority.

And I still think Gravity Rush is pretty shit. P4G >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gravity Rush.
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    That's good and doesn't bother me - for a moment there I thought you were using some kind of double-standards. I, for the most part, disregard the opinions of critics and grade a game from my own experiences or from what I've seen of it, so using Metacritic here wasn't even my usual shlock. :P It's all about tastes, yes...

...and Persona games are great in general, here we have a mutual agreement. :P
    • Reporter

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

Message Count:
    United States
    In all seriousness I'll side with soulx on Gravity Rush, doesn't strike me as a $40 purchase.
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    Maybe not a $40 purchase, but definitely as a good game. Perhaps I defend it so eagerly because I didn't have to pay for my copy, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Message Count:
    United States
    It isn't, but my friend has it so he said he'd let me borrow it.
    • Reporter

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Message Count:
    Finland
    People don't seem to see that some of the best games for the PSVita are on the PS+ at the moment. That said, there are tons of games not worth the original $40-60 price, but for PS+ at $50 a year, the games are excellent value.

Just like Little Deviants. Some say it's just a tech demo, but for the 5€ that I payed for it (physical format!), it's more than worth it!
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    United States
    Also fucking shit can we stop bringing up Xenoblade?

Like no one gives a fuck about this game. Seriously.

Metascores also don't mean shit. As I said in ANOTHER Xenoblade thread, if we go by Metascores, then Modern Warfare 2 is an amazing game with a 94 Metascore so MW2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xenoblade.

Back on topic girls.

emigre In a constant struggle against my inner weeaboo

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Have I mentioned get Persona 4?

I've started replaying it on my PS2. Fucking this game is awesome. Best JRPG I've ever played.
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    United States
    It has a 94 Metascore last time I checked and is the highest rated handheld game of all time.

So factually it is a better game than Xenoblade and the best handheld game ever made.