German court ruling bans using "coming soon" for release dates in regards to pre-orders

download (1).png

Due to a recent German court case, in which the European retailer MediaMarkt was taken to Munich Regional High Court because of excessive delays on a pre-ordered product, a new law has now been put in place. If a game or product is available to pre-order, it MUST have a specified date of when it will ship and arrive, and it must stick to that. If a delay occurs, then the consumer is allowed a full refund. Listings that say "coming soon" "tbd" or "unspecified" are fine, so long as they don't take money from the consumer.

:arrow: Source

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder if this new law will eventually accidently reveal some new game's release date. Sounds extremely possible, specially in smaller stores, which there's usually more miscommunication between publishers and sellers.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
"Listings that say "coming soon" "tbd" or "unspecified" are fine, so long as they don't take money from the consumer."

Yeah, I can get behind that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I didn't even know it was common place to take your money before a product comes out. Then again I never pre-order sooooo

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Looking forward to a lot of games suddenly coming out Dec 31st now.

Kind of a dumb law.

(edit) Oh nevermind, they would have to stick to a placeholder date lol.

Great. We can now look forward to broken, unfinished games. Even dumber law.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: FateForWindows

rodryguezzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It doesn't solve the problem of the fake release dates that game publishers love to use as marketing tools. Seriously, search on google any AAA title + delayed and you will find that the game was not released at the first release date they announced.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

buda81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kind of a dumb law.

Seems to me the law is for retailers not screwing over customers and not the studio itself.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Listings that say "coming soon" "tbd" or "unspecified" are fine, so long as they don't take money from the consumer.
Thank God. For a moment, I thought my Pokemon Stars pre-order was in jeopardy.

upload_2018-7-14_21-35-52.png

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Kind of a dumb law.

Nah, this doesn't stop developers and publishers from using "Coming Soon". If that were the case then it would be a pretty dumb law.
But places shouldn't be listing games for preorder that don't even have a release date anyway, what if the game never comes out? Or what if the game takes 10 years to come out and then it's shit? What if we have another Duke Nukem Forever?
There's not much point in preordering a game until it has an actual release date anyway. You just need to be sure you'll get it on release, you don't have to preorder a year or more in advance to do that.
I think this law is perfectly fine.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Nah, this doesn't stop developers and publishers from using "Coming Soon". If that were the case then it would be a pretty dumb law.
But places shouldn't be listing games for preorder that don't even have a release date anyway, what if the game never comes out? Or what if the game takes 10 years to come out and then it's shit? What if we have another Duke Nukem Forever?
There's not much point in preordering a game until it has an actual release date anyway. You just need to be sure you'll get it on release, you don't have to preorder a year or more in advance to do that.
I think this law is perfectly fine.
The first thing I thought of was the picture of the dude who took a picture of Duke Nukem Forever and the receipt of his pre-order ticket from 7 years prior.

D

Deleted User

Good, I can get behind this. A lot of retailers seem all too eager to start selling pre-orders; IIRC Smash 4 pre-orders were available right after the games were announced.

Hopefully other countries will follow suit with similar protections in place.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wont change anything for me. i only really preorder stuff on amazon and you dont have to pay there until a product is shipped anyway

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Due to a recent German court case, in which the European retailer MediaMarkt was taken to Munich Regional High Court because of excessive delays on a pre-ordered product, a new law has now been put in place. If a game or product is available to pre-order, it MUST have a specified date of when it will ship and arrive, and it must stick to that. If a delay occurs, then the consumer is allowed a full refund. Listings that say "coming soon" "tbd" or "unspecified" are fine, so long as they don't take money from the consumer.

:arrow: Source
you forgot the ™ after ther word "SOON"

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fun fact: this only really affects brick and mortar stores, not online sales.
European law already says online sales can be cancelled by the consumer for a full refund any time, without reason, as long as it is within 14 days of delivery or sooner. So... not shipped yet = always possible to get a full refund.
Effectively, this law (in Germany, at least) now extends some of that consumer protection to real-life stores as well, allowing consumers a refund if the promised date isn't met.
That kind of makes sense, I'd say: it's weird that online sales give more rights than offline sales currently. Rights should be the same in both cases, IMHO.

tomGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder if this new law will eventually accidently reveal some new game's release date. Sounds extremely possible, specially in smaller stores, which there's usually more miscommunication between publishers and sellers.
I'm pretty sure it will

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If a game studio is taking pre-orders and so fears people demanding refunds for failure to actually deliver on a date they pre-set, I don't think this law really changes anything. I mean, look at all the broken, unfinished games without this law, without pre-orders, and without pre-set release dates.

*says this waiting for Cryamore*

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol