Homebrew Discussion GeForce Now on Swich

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I hate to say it, but the most annoying thing of the entire experience are the Switchs lousy ergonomics (right stick movement, makes my thumb hurt after a while).

Everything else about this experience is plenty good enough.

Switch was in 1080p mode, and in a 2.4GHz WLAN, at stock (balanced) speeds - and it just worked.

18ms lag to the server, Joycons connected via BT and the experience is 'responsive enough'. For action adventure games.

(Had the same experience on my phone as well. Using an Xbox One controller in BT mode.)

When I tested it on an Android settop box connected to a big screen TV was the only time, when lag became 'a little bothersome' (using a Xbox one Controller in BT mode). Might be the SOC (lesser performance than my phone and the X1 in the switch, probably also on h265 decoding), but more than likely its the TVs own inbuilt lag (rather high - B6 OLED).

So if you have a TV with a low latency in game mode, i hate to say it, but GeForce NOW is viable for gaming. Subjectively. On 'adventure' type games. (Havent tested shooters, ..)

The 60 Hz delivery in all cases - was without drops in framerate.

In the video you might see a few at the end, but that is Switch Wifi, while the Switch was nestled in my couch. Played another 30 min after that - nothing.
--

How to set it up.

Install switchroot on a separate sdcard (buy a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB or higher - for max write speed at good price/performance).

If you install the 'fake nVidia Shield package' - dont install GeForce Now, but rather update GeForce Experience later in the Google Play Store (GeForce Now or nVidia Shield). Otherwise install GeForce Now.

Thats it.

To switch buttons (buttonlayout). Find the button fix I linked in the switchroot thread. (.zip file), open the files in a text editor, switch both a and b and x and y around. Reflash the package in recovery. (Make sure to mount /system first in TWRP.))

I have two more videos still uploading.

Sound is fine as well, I just had it turned down (crank volume on video).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also in testing, I limited my WLAN throughput once to see what would happen. Auto resolutions scaling set in, it hitched like a mofo for five seconds, then everything was fine again, but with a lores video stream. Took the limiter out, and it went to the hires stream after a while without any more barely noticible dropped frames (tested on the Switch).

For those of you that dont know, GeForce NOW is streaming the entire game from nVidias Servers. 5-6USD a month service fee. Tops out at 1080p60, but with RTX effects, great h265 quality (better than googles solution).

And you have to own the game on steam.

And not your entire game library is eligible, only those games: https://www.gfnlist.com/

(Publisher has to give the OK.)

Testing is free. nVidia will cut the connection to its server after an hour. But you can use it for an hour as many times as you want.
--

If GeForce Experience or GeForce Now (Apps) gives you endless loading on the home screen, dont worry - just use the search icon to search for Steam, then start steam (will start steam serverside) using that. Home screen is just a storefront basically. :) (You arent missing anything.. ;) ). (I have this on two devices, but not on the third. Might have to do with me havin AdAway installed, don't know.)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Atmosphere on the play?
No, and very unlikely to be realized in the future. Payed service, no open apis - Nvidia wanting to control the clients (storefronts).

Also - I've played some more with it yesterday and now have seen many more downsides to the service in general.

- When you are queuing for a free spot, queuing times can be 4+ hours currently. So Nvidia is definitely doing some internal ranking (new users get preferential queuing), or fake waiting times which they don't communicate, to entice users to sign up for the payed tier.

- Switch Wifi is flakey, so framedrops and stream quality might depend on how close you are to the router.

- Install issues galore with Yakuza zero, where after a completed install and relogging in, install will be shown as corrupt (missing files error). Then you have to uninstall the game serverside on their servers, log out, log back in - and install it again - for it to launch again.

If you dont log out in between - and reinstall on the spot, their content servers won't trigger, and you will actually download the game from steam, and not their proxy servers, resulting in long waiting times and.. That part is a mess.

- Cloud saves sometimes not syncing issues on free tier. So basically they will interrupt connection at the set time frame, kick you out, then shut down your instance. While shutting down your instance, it is possible - that cloud saves arent sent to steam properly, resulting in progression loss.

Thats beta stuff in an already launched service...

Its still enticing though. This for portable gaming is something that will catch on, imho.

Last edited by notimp,

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
there was a servery from PlayStation asking about remote play on the switch, you can hope but who knows if it will happen.

in handheld might as well set Geforce to 720P save the bandwidth for latency

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
in handheld might as well set Geforce to 720P save the bandwidth for latency
Havent tried, will do so. Bigger resolution - higher quality stream. :)

Downsampling on the switch will also reduce jaggies - so using 1080p is preferable. :)

And the switch can handle it. Also havent tried signal stability on my Wireless N network (maybe its better), so many moving pieces. :)

But if I'd design a system for use with this, I'd make sure it has far better Wifi stability that the Switch does (signal strength). Thats the most obvious breaking point here. And it isnt just true just for the switch. Design your portable device around the antenna array basically.

Smartphone screens are too small. Switch screensize is basically the minimum, for games designed for TV gaming, A little larger would be preferable, but not much.

Also switch right joystick positioning in relation to device size is horrible.

So next generation of devices designed for this, and you have something. :)

Screen quality is fine - button size (swich l1 and r1) is fine (great concept study from Nintendo). :)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Right stick still too far right in relation to where you are holding the body. Will always be a compromise, but if you look at Dells design study from Ces, its a little better there. :) (Google Dell Switch CES)

For this to be an ecosystem, there have to be better end devices. Phone with Razer Kishi (controller) isnt it.

And main usecase should be 'home portable, second device'. Or low budget casual gaming, for which its still too fidly. ;)

But the concept is 'there' and it seems, that it scales, if you are Nvidia. ;) (Serverside.)

Steam integration has to be better in the future.

But Steam and nVidia as partners are the best people to realize this concept.

Steam ecosystem with seasonal sales is perfect for publisher relations, price point for customers to discover new stuff, and still pay devs.

Cross play is baked in (so you are not loosing progression, or are making double purchases).

This is - something. It works on many levels. Just not perfectly yet. :)

1080p with raytracing also is perfect. Because nVidia controlls the market, lowest raytracing viable build comes in at 900 USD (this is 60-120 USD a year) for a system. (That then can do 1440p.) But customers would want 1080p with raytracing if it were on the market. So nVidia has even a unique selling point. :)

(And will do much better thatn MS or google in pricepoint, because it scales better (custom hardware).)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Dont know. :) Ask nVidia, or Microsoft. :) They should have done some testing. :)

Microsoft did their prerelease testing with a "for phones only" mantra (Clip onto controller.. ;) ).

I think this is mostly - because latency is better that way (phones not doing post processing, controller is kept close (dropout likelyhood)), and you could get it to the public quicker (everybody has a phone), not so much because of the form factor.

I'm basically saying make the controllers a little bigger than Nintendo did (was offset by you also being able to game on your TV for long stints), and build in better antenna arrays.

But that makes the device less portable, and more expensive to produce. And people wont buy devices that are only usable 'tethered' for one usecase, for big money. So improvements have to come in iterations. (Price coming down.)

Last edited by notimp,

DreIceAge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried playing Destiny 2 with joycons that sucked. Gonna try my old android Bluetooth game pad instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay