GBAtemp Writers' Guild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by Sterling, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Sterling
    OP

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Welcome to the guild. Feel free to share your work. :)

2. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    What I've Been Working On:

The Prisoner (a novella about a fantasy world controlled by a religious Order - basically, magically endowed people are used to fuel a spell for turning people Immortal.)

Chapter 1:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Notes:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. Shinigami357

Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Jul 29, 2010
    Haeven't been writing so much these last few days. Mum bought a 'new' [well, slightly used] notebook pc and though I can't use it for long stretches [esp not on weekends, when she lets my aunt borrow it for making business papers or something] it's way, way, waaaaaay better than our current pc. So I've been setting it up [y'know, browser, antivirus, plugins, downloaded the manual, disabled/deleted some items] and now that I've got it all done, I think I'll do most of my typing there [less chances of it crashing and/or wiping my files, for one].

Meanwhile, my head's story writing team has been assembling the story in the background, so it's all good.

How are y'all?

PS

I monitored the SB for research [kind of] and all I learned is that a blackout can turn the tide of a game... and apparently, Beyonce performed well in halftime, lolz. Ravens won, so I'm happy. XDD

4. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
  5. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Hey guys! How are y'all?!

Anyway, just a tad bit of ranting here... I personally have lost every ounce of respect I had for MS Office. I just recently got this nagging problem with their microsoft office starter and it is a dead end so impermeable, it's more like a freaking black hole [in that you can't retrace your steps short of doing a system restore].

Now I am a proud user of an open-source 'productivity suite' that [thankfully] can open/save in MS's noxiously MS Office-locked file types. Darn things are clingy bitches and I really wouldn't mess with them if I had a choice, but since my entire body of work [so to speak] is in .docx, I have little choice in the matter, really.

So... writing update... Erm, I'm writing as of the moment [took a pause to post/rant here]. It really hasn't been a good week, what with getting sick and the friggin weather and the aforementioned fail of my previous word processor. I was relegated to reading [and playing, among other things] mostly.

Part 2's doing swell, though. Well, chapter 2 is kind of awkward, but that was the 'feel' I was going for anyway, so no complaints there, really. I reckon I'll be up my nose in chapter 3 soon [knock on wood] and after that, well, who knows. Pent-up frustration can bring along creative momentum at times [so says the easily-frustrated one].

Anyway, me mum's out of town for the foreseeable future [read: the weekend] so I might [again, hopefully] get better progress, whilst sacrificing slumber.

So... How is everybody?

PS

Right... the less anyone mentions Valentine's Day to me, the better. :ph34r:

6. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Let's see here... I got a job. Began a Nuzlocke Challenge. Began a journal of said challenge. Posted said journal to several sites. Re-wrote the journal into a Novelization of said challenge. Re-posted what I posted originally and flew into the sun... Like a baus.

In fact, I think I'll post what I have here in the guild. I hope you guys enjoy. :P

The Beginning of...

7. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Hey guys.

So, here are a few [I think] things I want to talk about at the moment...

For a while, I've had as much progress at writing anything as a blind, illiterate, world-hating person without any imagination. So, yeah, it kind of sucked. However, I have had a few story ideas. Funny, I always have ideas I want to write, but I can't seem to finish any when I start them...

So, figuring that I have only every finished two stories, am in the process of rewriting the 'novel' coz I think it sucks while trying to write the sequel [both unsuccessfully, as you may have gathered]. The other is a short story, that weirdly enough, I think of as my best fiction as of the moment, considering I dislike short fiction.

An idea then arrived from idea-land... which is to write a short story, a prequel of sorts to my first 'novel'. I think I've been away from this universe I first created damn near a year ago, so maybe a short narrative with fewer characters and continuity checks will let me ease back in better.

Also, as it focuses on a freaking battle, it lets me dish out more action, which is something I've been missing in this continuity, feeling there is more 'drama' than is strictly necessary [a caveat of writing mostly teenaged characters]. No angst here, just two opposing sides wanting no more than to see the other side in pieces.

So, that's that. How is everyone?

8. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Pretty good. I'm making headway on my story. I scrapped about 20k more words though and I'm quite sad about that. :/ I got a job too so there's less time to write. I also update my story every Sunday on my FP page in my sig. :D

9. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    So, updating coz writing this stuff gives me more motivation to keep going...

Anyway, short story's moving along pretty fine. I do have to divulged [and therefore invent] more of the futuristic, alternate universe tech and weaponry my characters use. Good thing about sci fi and speculative fiction in general, it doesn't raise too many eyebrows with these things.

And then there's, uh, well, my character. He's not a nice guy at all, not in this one, killing men, women, children, even his allies, coz that's what a supersoldier is supposed to do [if ordered to]. I mean, the character archetype is a dime a dozen in fiction, but I think it's kind of misused to the point that a little dumb luck wipes out a hundred of them, which isn't quite 'super', really.

I mean, ok, the first story I really started to write seriously was horror, so killing off characters who were written specifically to die shouldn't be a big deal. The characterization just makes me cringe a little. But then, if I can get any reader at all to see the character as he was meant to be, I guess it's a fair trade-off, right?

Now, the thing is... it's really, really short. I'm just about two-thirds of the way through [unless a few more ideas present themselves] and it's only at 2300+ words. To compare, eventuality was at 8k+. Of course, it's not like I'm going to dilute the story for the sake of a darned word count or anything but still... Hm...

How's it over there?

PS

The title's "Black Border" btw. It turns out it might actually add some depth to the first two stories... or foreshadowing, at least.

10. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Fine, fine, I'm getting a lot of feedback on my stories from multiple sources, so I'm improving massively.

11. Wolvenreign

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    New "The Bound and The Broken" coming soon-ish!

Shinigami357 and Sterling like this.
  12. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    So, reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk and, um... It's kind of sick, yeah?

blah blah

And, anyway, besides, that, I'm looking through my 'body of work' [most of it unfinished] to see if anything there sparks, sizzles, glows... Anything. It's like my brain's tapped out. There is, like, zero motivation there. I don't even know why. Hm...

Maybe coz my brain's telling me to write something and I'm not listening? Kind of have that feeling, somehow. Then again, so many ideas, no motivation. Kinda sucks. Ah, well, whatever works, I guess... Need to get my ass in gear, somehow [gets into lotus position to meditate].

Can you believe a quarter of the year's gone and passed into history already? Damn. Well, happy April Fool's Day and all that whatnot.

13. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Yo, peeps! Happy 4/20, I guess? Is that even a big thing any more [or at all]? I just saw it on FB, really.

Um, so yeah, finally finished ch. 2 of Anomalies. Had to slog it though the first two chapters of this one because they are all fallout from the first story's ending. It's all of 5k+ words, but it feels like 20k+, that's how tedious it felt. Next chapters are all story again, so hopefully that bodes better.

Man, my last post was the beginning of April... Now it's the 21st [here] already. God. Damn. Time, must thee mock me so?

14. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    I just hit 25k words, and 6k on my prequel. Pretty cool, keep it up dude.

15. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Hey, look, it's May...

Anyway, let it be said that the internet is killing off my story-writing time. Well, not really... I kind of have to try and watch over my one year-old nephew, too. I'm not doing a good job, but, eh, I'll get better [I should damn well hope so, anyway].

Well, at least the story's going in my head once more, so there's that. Just gotta try and squeeze in more words per minute, I guess...

Also, Summer in here and by the gods, is it hot... Our consumption of carbonated beverages [with ice, sometimes] and the amount of prayers for rain have increased exponentially. In a month and a half, we'd be swamped in floods again. What joy.

So, how're y'all guys?

16. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Great, I'm busy with writing, and I'm up to 25k words with a weekly update schedule. I got a new computer so I'm a bit occupied by a fully modded Fallout: New Vegas. :L

17. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Haven't been writing lately because of summer job looky loo, but I also have a spring course I have to worry about as well. Kind of annoying, but it's a good thing. I've mostly been reading a lot of Sue Grafton and Terry Pratchett (the Monstrous Reigament book was pretty good - but too much gender politics in it!).

I've been playing MH3U - I'd probably do a novel version of that. :)

18. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Sounds sweet, would it be like an RRP?

19. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Hey guys. Not much to report except we had a brownout/blackout [or "power outage" to all you non-Filipinos] yesterday, so in the sweltering heat we were all trooped outside, whistling fervently for wind [that's... kind of a thing here]. Power outages are good news when the [automated] election is less than a week away, so hooray for our ass-backward country!!!

Anyway, somehow Anomalies has gotten to chapter 5, and just about 300 words shy of 10k words. Given that book 1 was at 60k total [barring the inevitable rewrite/trimming/expansion] this is pretty long for 5 mostly short chapters. Also, my 'weird chapter names bug' hit me again, and chapter 5 if now memetically titled 'overly awkward dinner I', which is more horrifying given the thought there's gonna be an 'overly awkward dinner II' sometime later on. I'm sticking with it because, um, it kind of describes the chapter in a non-vague way, which is good... right?

Also, writing 'fluff' or 'lemons' [these are fanfic terms, btw] or... well, whatever they call those supposed to be sweet scenes between main character and main character's love interest, is overly tedious... except when you know you're writing it for a serious case of mood backlash later on, in which case, it's kind of fun. Somewhat disturbing, but fun. That's the reason for the 'Anomalies' title after all - shit hits the fan. And as you all know, I love writing those exact same parts.

So, with that over with... pardon my noobness, but what's MH3U? [hides in shame]

EDIT:

BTW, prob the best [throwaway] line I've ever written for a non-central character: "What, teenage hormones and stunted emotional capacities are my fault now?"

If it sounds like a jab at the target audience for 'mainstream literature' nowadays [read: Young Adult] that's because it is.

20. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    I believe it stands for Monster Hunter 3 - United. Anyway, I just hit 26k words on my own main work. I'm running up on around 10k words on my secondary project.

@Shinigami357: You might consider posting your work on Fiction Press. There's tons of great writers there that could help you with feedback.