GBAtemp Writers' Guild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by Sterling, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Sterling
    OP

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    We're stickied, so double posts don't matter as much. I remember one time I posted like 5 times in a row and nobody said anything. I'm okay. Though I haven't written much more. I made my first literotica in the past month. It was pretty good I think lol. I'm still running through stuff in my head on how I should structure my books. It's going to be a trilogy with fourth and final book detailing the end of the human race.

2. Shinigami357

Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Jul 29, 2010

I'm sure you mean 'erotica'... Literotica is a site, IIRC.

Also, I think you should just write it as it goes. The thing about a series is that you're usually having to go and change what happens next when another idea falls out of idea-land. This is apparently why The Dark Tower and ASOIAF took so long [or in the case of GRRM's magnum opus, is taking so long].

3. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    I do, but I feel literotica is the better word (being literature and erotica combined). Probably isn't correct but it's okay. :D

astrangeone likes this.
  4. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    So... As promised, Chapter 1 of B,G,C. Notes afterward, and also, since the chapter's broke up into more than a couple of parts, a short bullet list [table of contents], too, so as not to make it too confusing, lol.

1.1 [Heat]

1.2 [It's a trap]

1.2.1 (flashback)

1.3 [Abridge over troubled water]

1.4 [Checkmate]

1.4.1 (flashback)

1.5 [The other side]

Again, sorry for the formatting. I tried everything I could think of, none of which, sadly, worked out. Eh, well...

So, notes...

notes

Cheers. Gimme feedback, it, erm, feeds my creative drive. I'll prob introduce a new [read: female] character on the next chapter, though with the story I have in mind, I doubt I can still post it here, but we'll see. Also, it gives me an excuse to let Allius heal in the background while he's not the focus character.

PS

I'm still researching that character whose robes are made of shadow. So far, I've pegged it to be Raven [big surprise] of the teen titans, though it merits further research. I could just be confusing it with her 'soul self', hm...

5. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Hm... I'm totally bummed out and bored to all heck atm. A spot of sleep deprivation can do that to ya, hahahaha. I'll prob finish up chapter 2 of B,G,C after I've taken my daily 'sleep' [I hate sleeping more than 5 hours; mainly coz I think sleeping is just wasting my already short life span]. Updates on that later on, and I think I've managed to write it so I can post it here. It makes me have to keep working [something I read said that displaying your current work to an audience basically shames you into continuing, writer's block be damned]. Hopefully I can sleep, eat, finish, edit and post before my internet runs out in, uh, 12 or so hours...

Anyways... I'm not sure if we've touched about it, but, looking objectively [or is the right term 'subjectively'??? I'm gonna have to ask Merriam and Webster later] at your written [finished, unfinished, abandoned, etc] work thus far, what are some common things that just pop up, with or without you meaning it to pop up. Obviously, this is more obvious for those of us who write fiction prose, but some things, like rhyming [esp in poetry, songs], theme, atmosphere, or even stock phrases, words or references can count.

I'll start with mine, from the glaring to the less obvious...

long list

Also, um... yeah, updates on B,G,C... Well, I already touched on it earlier [waaaay earlier], but basically, I tried to take out any direct references to stuff that could get it blocked and whatnot. Basically, first shift of POV character, new magic, more antagonists, etc etc...

And... the hunt for 'character whose robe is made of shadows' gets an update.

So, um, it isn't quite Raven. She had an actual, uh, cloak [which is blue], though she does use her 'soul self' to sort of engulf herself in a robe/cloak-like manner, but it isn't the same thing... Which leads me back to square one... Urgh.

6. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Well, I'm not sure if anything I write follows a certain theme with any consistency. I guess I'll give it a go.

The main character always finds true love. I'm sure it's because I'm currently single and have always enjoyed the company of the opposite sex. More of me projecting my wants and needs upon the reader.

My main characters are usually based off of people I know in real life. Some people say this is a pretty dumb idea, however I seem to be able to pull it off well myself since I know my friends pretty well.

References to things frequently pop up in my writing. Sometimes they are so ridiculous that they take away from the story. I've recently quelled that though so they aren't glaringly obvious.

I subconsciously avoid tropes. Seriously, I've managed to avoid nearly every trope in my story so far. I find that fascinating since my friend can't even write a chapter without hitting one or more.

Food. I reference anything edible at least once in every chapter. I even make myself hungry.

7. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    So, given that I promised an update of B, G, C Wednesday, and it's Saturday now [Philippine time, of course] and there's no sign of it anywhere... Guess it got writer's block'd... Half of it, more or less, is written, then my mental editors and fiction writers got into an impasse. [think of them as the same visual puns spongebob had when squidward had to pretend the krusty krab was a 5-star restaurant and spongebob had to become head waiter... and had to 'clear his mind of everything except fine dining and breathing']

↑ Obscure reference, FTW!!! ↑

Anyway, the basic reason this happened is coz my head is under protest. Said protest being: 'we're writing the sequel to ccorax, with or without you... punk." My mental editors, fiction writers, fact-checkers and grammar nazis all agree on it, so I decided, what the hell.

I know it's stupid, and I'll prob regret it by the time I have to do the numerous retcons and stuff for the rewrite of book one, but what the heck. Can't exactly argue when I'm being held hostage by my creative impulses. I might never get another chance to do it like this again, wahahahaha.

I'll prob still have time to update B, G, C once in a while, though...

PS

I did ask Merriam-Webster... The correct term is 'objective'.
    Update: Book 2 started. Official title is 'Anomalies'. Doing well so far.

astrangeone likes this.
  8. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I've started writing again! I'm writing a few chapters for a hope to be published book - the different women I loved.

I really don't have patience for doing this as well as dealing with school.

9. ShinyJellicent12

ShinyJellicent12 I summon giant clover-shaped meteors in the sky

Mar 21, 2011
    United States
    The Moon
    Hello, people! I haven't been here in a LOOONG time (2 years I think lol). Just wanted to let everyone know that my works are now on figment.com:
    Click here
    :)

astrangeone likes this.
  10. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Since they're nearing completion, why don't I start posting the chapters for my own writings? To start things off, here's the first chapter of my Final Fantasy VII alternate reality commission work, currently under the working title 'Sliding Doors'. I hope you enjoy it. If so, post your comments and I'll consider uploading more, maybe even from my other projects. I don't deal with just fanfics though, I do original works. Anyway, here's the prologue and the first short chapter.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

What did you guys think? Not my best work but I don't think it's too bad.

11. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Eh... I didn't finish FF VII so I'm not familiar with the characters and all that. The game ends when Sephiroth's dead anyways, right[???] so I guess that's a moot point, since he's dead by the first chapter [or is he?]. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

---

Anyway...

My computer up and corrupted 'Anomalies'... There was less than 1000 words in it, but I've basically purged them from my head, so now I'm rewriting the whole thing clueless and pissed off. Damn it. I hate it when this happens.

[sulks in a corner, muttering darkly to himself]

ShinyJellicent12 likes this.
  12. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Hey guys.

First things first, uh, 'Anomalies' update. Chapter one is done and I think slightly better off than I would have thought possible after the first one got wiped. There's a slight in-depth of exactly how my main character teleports objects ['porting' people is more complicated], and he gets his SSP back. Also, I've backed it up this time, so hopefully no more wipes.

I'm on to chapter 2 [got interrupted earlier coz my body was going into hibernate mode], around 1800 words in total.

Sterling likes this.
  13. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Nice. I've moved onto chapter five or six on my re-write. So far I'm 5k words in.

14. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Hm, I noticed that my previous post goes 'first things first' and there's no 'second thing'. The list stopped at one. Guess the rest of the interwebs whisked my mind off to other distractions, but at least I remembered to hit 'post'. Come to think of it, I'm not sure there is a second item.

Anyway, to compensate for horribly broken post/update...

I think I'll start a 'continuity checklist' of sorts, since I'll be doing the rewrite of book one after I finish book 2, I thought I'd keep a handy checklist of small details that might get lost and fuck up the continuity. Also, it's a handy reference, though knowing how I make notes/lists, prob gonna be confusing as all hell.

And yes, making book two that is immediately after book one [and therefore relies heavily on the foundation book one built] when book one isn't finalized yet is really wayward. I don't really mind, though.

So, a 'short' excerpt from chapter one [prob the only thing I can post that doesn't require the reader to know much of the backstory]

excerpt

Basically, all you need to know here is that 357 made an abandoned building crumble to kill off an enemy, causing Raven no end of trouble at home. Also, SSP is solid-state plasma, and there's a long hard explanation somewhere, but it's basically 'glowing sci-fi stuff used to make weapons [and other things]'.

Eh, I really can't get the indents to show up. I should prob just follow Sterling's example and use pastebin or something.

Guess that's all. Cheers, fellas!

---

@[user]Sterling[/user] You're rewriting Terrestria? Or is it another WIP?

15. KingdomBlade

KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Apr 24, 2009
    In Vulpes' Fur
    I was bored in the car, and listening to some music (Radiohead), then I thought of a very rough plot in my head.

The plot is about this guy, who has a power. Not a superpower, more like an ability. He can destroy things, make them fall apart, instantly. However, in order to use his ability, his mind needs to be angry. He needs to feel a state of perpetual rage to make it stronger. His rage amplifies it more and more. This is the point where I utilize it as a metaphor for transmitting negative emotion into what you do.

The story takes place across six points in his life: childhood, adolescence, college, work-life, marital-life, and the part where everything fucking falls apart. Literally, and symbolically. His anger becomes a defense mechanism, and throughout the course of his life, he begins to like the feeling. At certain points where he is forced to hinder it more and more, and fucking explodes completely. It's a recurring theme.

Each portion explored a given social issue. Childhood becomes associated with child abuse, adolescence with bullying, college with mass violence, work-life with drug abuse, marital-life with domestic abuse, and finally, falling-apart with war.

That's about it, I think.

EDIT: Oh, and here's a new short story. Kinda. It's kind of free-verse poetry too. Romantic-drama kinda thing. Um, I dunno. I realize that my stuff's quite a bit different from the stuff from the last few pages. XD It's probably cause I generally dislike writing anything that sounds too game-y or adventurous.

cheat. don't cheat. go away. stay.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

16. Sterling
    OP

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Hmm, I don't see many problems with your plot. Write it, I don't know if it sounds like something I'd enjoy. Will there be an explanation on how he got his ability?

@Shinigami357: Yeah, it's a re-write of Terrestria. I learned a lot since I started writing it, so I decided to put the knowledge to good use.

17. KingdomBlade

KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Apr 24, 2009
    In Vulpes' Fur
    No. I dislike explicit explanations and going detailed about explaining elements that aren't meant to be explained. Or else this might drive the plot in a more soft sci-fi, adventure light. It's meant to be much more about the implications of the ability, and what it means. The plot's vaguely influenced by Lionel Shriver's novel We Need to Talk About Kevin, about a guy who commits a high school massacre, though spans much farther in his life, and is much more driven by anger than a natural desire to kill or destroy.

18. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Hm, me likey. You're writing it in a more psychological kind of way, I assume [though with a broader scope]? Seems like my kind of story [elements-wise]. Best of luck.

Also, don't let it bother you if your stuff is different from some of the other stuff here [ours included]. It's the reason Sterling started the guild to begin with.

---

Usually I'd be writing right now [2am is my prime writing time], but the Philippines seems to have caught a chill, literally. We're getting temperatures below 20 now [Centigrade] especially deep into the night. Even though writing is conscious while shivering is supposed to be unconscious, it kind of gets in the way, since I'm not used to being this cold [seriously, it feels colder than if I were in a mall].

19. Wolvenreign

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    I suppose I will apply.

1) Wolvenreign is my current name, and my most frequent. Others include Wolvenreign_Lyghtovoid, Bob Palindrome (Full name : Robert Racecar Palindrome) and A Smooth Criminal (for TF2 and Steam, though if you search for Wolvenreign on Steam you’ll find me more easily).

2) I would say my area of expertise is twofold; narratives and poetry. In general, I reach as high and far as I can imagine when I write fiction, not basing things on any particular event. When I write poetry, no matter the alliteration scheme, I try to write it about a place, painting pictures with words as though I’m painting scenery.

3) English is number 1 on both counts. It was my first and only, and I would say I’m quite proficient with it.

4) I have had a 3 year hiatus as of late, but then I really got back into posting again. Part of that may be that I have few choices left when it comes to entertainment anymore, but on the other hand, GBATemp is just such an amazing resource. I should have remembered that sooner, honestly.

5) I write all the time, whenever I get a chance. I have been inspired to be the person I am by the awe of the blank page; the wellspring of possibility.

6a) http://gbatemp.net/threads/anticipation.341571/
    6b) http://gbatemp.net/threads/lunar-light-wip.341394/
    6c) http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-bound-and-the-broken-chapter-1.341551/
    6d) http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-bound-and-the-broken-chapter-2.341553/
    6e) http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-worldburners-epic-poem.341496/

20. Wolvenreign

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Oh, and I'm thinking about another plot, but it's not terribly character-driven. It's about a componium that weaves universes. I want to call the story Cleft, after that symbol that begins some musical scores.