Won't fix "gbatemp.net/proxy.php" image mirroring breaks signavatar.com image randomization

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure when this function was introduced, but I can't find a way to disable it.
It breaks the randomization element of signavatar.com, keeping them on a set image when viewed in forums.
This is most easily seen in my previous sig and VinsCool's current signature, both of which used to be randomized.

Last edited by CeeDee,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This seems kind of silly though. I get they don't want a lot of bandwidth usage for the users, but with the existing limitations that are in place, that's pretty much a non issue. What was it again, 40 KB between your sig and avatar? Yeah, not really an issue.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This seems kind of silly though. I get they don't want a lot of bandwidth usage for the users, but with the existing limitations that are in place, that's pretty much a non issue. What was it again, 40 KB between your sig and avatar? Yeah, not really an issue.
It is not really a bandwidth thing that saw the dynamic avatars and sigs added to the prohibited actions but the moderation hassles, and such things were abused at one point.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is not really a bandwidth thing that saw the dynamic avatars and sigs added to the prohibited actions but the moderation hassles, and such things were abused at one point.
I know. Specifically, people had massive obnoxious animated gifs in their signatures, because the bandwidth limit wasn't enforced. But that should be a simple enough thing to enforce if necessary. It doesn't warrant getting rid of the feature entirely.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know. Specifically, people had massive obnoxious animated gifs in their signatures, because the bandwidth limit wasn't enforced. But that should be a simple enough thing to enforce if necessary. It doesn't warrant getting rid of the feature entirely.
It is not a bandwidth thing though, and those few people using caching browsers in the modern world are probably hooped anyway as few things respect created date any more. It was people stuffing a handful of inappropriate images in their random/dynamically generated signature image pool that caused the problems as a refresh or report could not be handled and nobody has time to hammer on f5 for a few hundred goes to catch it.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Technically it has been present longer than we have not had GIF avatars. As nobody really abused it though unlike the fad that got it banned then it was not really enforced, however it also means that nobody is likely to fix the "problem" you face.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, understandable enough. I suppose I never really saw any harm in it myself, and I never saw anyone abusing the power to do anything inappropriate. To me it kinda just seems like banning it from use just hinders creativity from those who wanted to have a signature that really stands out from the rest - something that's now kind of tough to do.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It definitely was one of those "this is why we can't have nice things" type response rules. Mid-late DS era if memory serves (I recall the threads where it was getting silly, and some of the players involved, not what time exactly they were happening).

As far as hindering creativity I don't see it. Still got all the same pixels and colours as before, and while I could not get a max size PNG of random noise under the file size limit then for most practical purposes it is going to be hard to go over the limit.

If such a thing absolutely needs to still exist then I imagine there are options still, just not ones basic php hosters do. Looking around people have their "I played these games, got these trophments" type images still up.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the hindering-creativity part, IMO, is in that now your signature basically can't be dynamic and has to remain the same set images, without a randomization element. I used to have tens of little "quotes" and SMW backdrops that shuffled per reload, and now I could only fit one of each, lacking the variety it used to have.

And I'd have to imagine either the "I played these games, got these trophments" pics either work but are stuck, like the signavatar.com images, or they do work fine and it's unfair. I say if signavatar is banned so should "I played these games, got these trophments" fare, they're very similar in concept of "remotely altering image" kind of thing.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Uh interesting. Looks like this is a new addition, may related to cache from external links so they are not being redirected elsewhere?

That's kind of a bummer but oh well, I guess I will settle to a static image now.

Reactions: CeeDee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Depends on my mood