GBAtemp is...

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
GBAtemp changes servers almost every year because it keeps getting larger and larger!
We usually know it's time to change servers when the site becomes really slow on a regular basis.

If/when the server is slow, or unusually fast, please make a post here and mention how many users are online.
This will be a great help for us when we re-evaluate the needs & resources.

Thanks!

Ensiferous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costello said:
glad it's fast for everyone now
smile.gif

Ensiferous: I did mainly 2 things to "fix" our website
1) use nginx (alternate lightweight http server) to serve static content such as images, js, css... on top of apache2 for dynamic content. php runs with fast-cgi
2) use memcached (and memcache php extension) to cache SQL queries. I reduced the amount of SQL queries on the portal from 16 to 5 for mods and down to 1 for guests.
smile.gif

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I'm Seph, so I know what you did - except for the memcached thing - was just wondering if things were successful and it stood up to the rush of KH fans. And the caching is a nice touch, that's basically what keeps ********** running.
tongue.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the most part it runs fast, but sometimes, quite randomly, the site will take around 10 seconds to load a page (usually it's instantaneous).
This is not due to my internet or Kingdom Hearts, it is as I said, completely random.

Also, using the quick-edit function is always slow for some reason.

Test.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Satangel said:
Superfast now the NSMB Wii craze is over!
wanna bet and anyway the cios rev 15 craze is about to begin
laugh.gif

as for the site fuck sometimes it will load instantly other times slow, have to hammer threads to get them open or get the dreaded 503 error

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
right now (within the last week or so) GBAtemp has been EXTREMELY slow. i seem to be getting this a lot:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Apache/2.2.8 (CentOS) Server at gbatemp.net Port 80

REALLY annoying, but i guess i should just thank you for keeping the site going (on a side note, centos is soooo much cooler than windoze server!)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yep site still bad and now i keep getting internal server errors. it'll be fast for about 5 mins than it hits a wall and stop nothing will load and have to hammer the fuck out of thread to even get them to open.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp is ridiculously fast now after the Google Ads payoff.
I did get this random error recently though:
QUOTE said:
IPB WARNING [2] memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to 94.23.33.154:11211, Connection timed out (110) (Line: 89 of /ips_kernel/class_cache_memcache.php)

Fatal error: Call to a member function do_get() on a non-object in /var/www/vhosts/gbatemp.net/httpdocs/sources/action_public/fp.php on line 54

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.