GBA vs DS game library

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
When talking about game library, it is all down to personal preference or a console is just the clear winner. But when talking about the GBA game library vs DS game library is like weird and complex. What do you think is the better one and why?

No poll on this subject, because people just look at a poll on a subject like this and go with the herd. For me, picking one is like saying which nut do you want to be shot.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While there was overlap the GBA was kicking all kinds of arse, though that was often more because the DS had not quite got over the touch screen gimmicks. Similarly many devs both knew the GBA and were given limited oversight so a lot of GBA versions of things were actually pretty good.

A while back I was playing the GB/GBC library and a lot of it was good simple clean fun, the GBA adding complexity on top of that often to less benefit (though other times almost perfection) and the DS going one step further.

As the DS library wore on then the limitations the GBA might have had (32 megabytes of cart, or indeed more like 16 in most, whole bunch of graphics, whole bunch of audio, resolution just that bit smaller than is ideal for many things) were not a thing and that made for some pretty nice examples of gameplay styles.

3ds by comparison pissed it all away and did nothing -- if you played the DS library you played the best of it, most decent DS devs went mobile phone... so basically 3ds has no gaems and you will have missed nothing by skipping it.
On the "I wish I was around to experience it new" then no you don't (time between releases was still a thing) but I think I would say go with DS and add some GBA from that rather than going chronologically.

Ignoring backwards compatibility, ROM hacks/freezing ROM hacks as they are today, possibly ignoring emulation (or at least giving them both GB/GBC) I am not sure which I would pick for the desert island scenario. I would be happy with either, and indeed probably happy with either in preference to a lot of home consoles (complete 360 + XBLA collection being one of the few things -- keep your NES, SNES, megadrive, PS1 and even PS2). DS might edge it out in the end but I would miss a lot of things, and several things I would like the GBA versions for but can happily deal with the DS stuff and still enjoy it.
For instance on the DS its Mr Driller is fine but GBA version, GBC version being something quite interesting, is my preference, Tetris DS is good stuff (have thousands of hours in on it as my "need something to occupy my hands") but minna no soft on the GBA is better for me (homebrew versions on both consoles also being strong contenders but the DS maybe winning there), Advance Wars on the DS does it well but ignoring the NES and GB stuff aspect of the argument the GBA stuff is pretty pure as it goes, megaman battle network 5 on the DS is a wonderful version and I can at least respect Star Force but 1-6 on the GBA is where it is at for me, GBA has a whole bunch of ports of and sequels to 16 bit era stuff, GBA RPGs do delve into the what if we don't clone final fantasy but the DS probably has the edge here both in that and wow do I love some touchscreen for managing things, GBA castlevanias might well beat out the DS stuff for me (there is a hack to get rid of the purple outline now), GBA probably has the better platformers but I could see a debate, puzzle games I would be delighted to see 20% of the quality on any modern device but the DS might just clinch it (puzzle hex being a massive part of that, or at least it doing both touch screen and buttons approaches).

Reactions: Flame

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OK, let's ignore the fact you can play gba games on DS.

GBA has mario advance 1-4 which are plain ports of older 2d mario games but they're still good regardles plus they have a ton of improvements.
DS has a full remake of mario 64 and a new 2d mario game which is new super mario bros, both of which having an INSANE amount of content. DS wins!

GBA has zelda minish cap and a link to the past port with a new game along side it being four swords. Idk about four swords but minish cap is literally in my top 3 zelda games.
DS has phatom hourglass and spirit tracks, both being touch based and having a lot of game design flaws. I never played them but I've seen people not really liking these two all that much. GBA wins!

GBA has mario kart super circuit and mario party advance, kart being an alright game, party being... not that.
DS has mario kart ds and mario party ds which are literally the best of each series with, again, a ton of content. DS wins!

GBA has kirby nightmare in dreamland which is a remake of kirby's adventure on the NES with a ton of improvements and multiplayer and kirby amazing mirror which is a literal metroidvania which can ALSO be played multiplayer.
DS has kirby canvas curse, an OK touch screen game, kirby squeak squad, a pretty mehh game which doesn't have much substance, kirby superstar ultra which is an amazing remaster of the snes classic and kirby mass attack, again a pretty nice touch screen game. GBA... wins...????

Where am I going with this?
Absolutely nowhere.
I just love both GBA and DS equally and I would be extremely upset if either of these were deleted from existence.

Reactions: Flame

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44