GBA emulator for the DS by Darkchen *UPDATE*

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I can say is Wow! When I read this article and saw the video I was amazed. I will be purchasing an iplayer when this is released. I had been interested in one anyway to play .avi video. This simply gives me another reason to place my order.

kiwovo

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I really don't get it..
even after nintendo doubled the power of the DSI it can't emulate gba games??
that's just weird...
what did they put in the iplayer? if its that powerful.. it probably explain why it cost so much

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blue-K said:
Very nice work indeed...still wondering how he got his hands on the official SDK...
unsure.gif
. If Normatt now makes the promised Loader for NDS games, I'm pretty much sold (yes, I still remember that he said this)...or would this whole thing be possible once the DSi is unlocked? Then I'll probably wait, or buy an Android Phone...

Anyways, nice work, Darkchen!

Normatt isn't going to make a rom loader for it. I remember him contacting the iplayer team but they said they didn't want the card to have commercial rom loading ability and he's respecting their wishes.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
What no one here seems to think of is that battery life when using this emulator will be far less than when using a pure GBA flashcart with a DS/DSL. As in the case of the DSi then it's a great feat due to the lack of GBA support, however battery life will still be shortened quite a bit.

My main point? Well, that would be that if you're only looking for GBA compatibility and have a DS/DSL then you should probably just get a GBA flashcart instead. If you have a DSi and want the same thing - get an iPlayer and this homebrew.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
The Teej said:
Everybody saying "look at all the noobs who said GBA on DS would never happen, they're wrong now!!11", well, please just stop. Nobody would have ever predicted a cart coming out with extra power and RAM built in, and it -still- doesn't happen on a "vanilla" flash cart, so you're not really proving anything at all.Someone get this man a pint
grog.gif

QUOTE(wolffangalchemist @ Sep 17 2009, 06:57 PM) that's all well and good but where is a ds rom loader, other wise this really isn't work the extra cash for a iplayer especially when more flash cart owners don't watch movies on the ds?
That's not what this piece of kit was built to do. The iPlayer is not a flash cart, it is first and foremost a video player. If you don't intend to watch movies on the DS then of course it is very unlikely you will own one. The fact that the extra video processor can be used to emulate the GBA expands the cart's capabilities beyond it's intended use, which is the whole point of homebrew in the first place; the exploration of the untapped capabilities and uses of hardware. Not "make something for the kiddies" (who from the sounds of it are ungrateful little sods with no appreciation for the amount of work that goes into something like this).

Dizzy Doom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a great thing somebody made/ported an GBA emulator for the iPlayer, although I'm worried about the release. If s/he indeed ported VBA, he'd have to violate either the GPL, or iPlayer's SDK copyright (if it has one, and I'm almost sure it has).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now Darkchen can say "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO" to all those who believed this project was a hoax.

I already have a 3in1 for GBA games, but this may actually give me a reason to buy an iPlayer. I'd love to see how this comes out in the end.

Nice work out there. I think the iPlayer team should be thankful too; this can become a great solution for DSi owners who want to play GBA games.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Why do people insist on hoping for it to come out on something else? It took years to deaden the hope of slot 1 GBA emulators, it will take even longer to crush it down. Why won't people understand this ONLY WORKS ON THE IPLAYER?!

Because we have a lot of people on the board that have brain/mental/retarded issues and don't understand that they have to read to accomplish something.

RiderLeangle

Trophies
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm debating whether or not this is worth buying an iPlayer for or just waiting for the DSi to be cracked and a GBA emulator is made for it from the SD card. I mean Team Twiizers is getting close at cracking the DSi so once they release something publicly then it will only be a matter of time

post353 said:
I hope this comes out for the R4DS!
superfacepalm.jpg

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
I remember him [Normmatt] contacting the iplayer team but they said they didn't want the card to have commercial rom loading ability and he's respecting their wishes.

Same thing happened with darkchen. He didn't get the SDK from them.

My point being "other people's wishes" mean nothing. You can fuck licenses and permissions whenever you want just like this guy, since he prolly won't release the source (and VBA is GPL).

I have this crazy idea that darkchen is actually part of the iplayer team but who cares, really.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm surprised nobody has brought this up, but if the iPlayer can successfully emulate GBA games, then what about getting a good SNES emulator working on the DS?

The iPlayer would sell like hotcakes as an alternative emulation solution on DS.
For that matter, iPlayer kind of kicks the ass out of DSi Mode in terms of power anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!