Hacking GBA Backup Tool compatibility?

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. Occasional lurker, first time poster here.

Here's my situation; I have an M3 DS Real and an original DS(phat). I want to be able to backup and play my old GBA games but support for the M3 cards was removed from the GBA Backup Tool v0.2 and I need another brand of flash card in order to get my saves.

Here is my dilemma, with so many new cards released since Rudolph stopped developing NDS tools, are any newer cards compatible with GBA Backup Tool 0.21?

Specifically, I'm thinking about getting an R4i SDHC just in case I decide to pickup a DSi in the future. Is the R4i SDHC compatible with GBA Backup Tool 0.21?
(I realize DSi cannot play GBA backups, I would keep my old DS for that.)

Thanks,
Xastabus

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3in1 is the "newest" slot 2 card. It's probably the last one since the focus of Nintendo is the DSi variants and the 3DS. You've been out of the loop on GBA backup software since it's now at 0.58. Hit up Filetemp and I think someone hacked Rudolph's program to run with M3.\

Edit: my bad. I was thinking about GBA ExpLoader. Try this link http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=4135

Edit 2: check out my stolen links in my sig for more info

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Masked Ranger. I had read about the (GBA Backup Tool 0.21 patch). If other people have used it without problems then I would gladly use it instead of purchasing another Slot1 flashcard.

I also did some more google searches and discovered this thread http://gbatemp.net/t101926-homebrew-to-wri...sh2advance-cart

I happen to have a FlashAdvance or Flash2Advance card that may work with this software. I will have to try it later when I get home (if I can find my old GBA flash card). I will update here with my results.

Project Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/fas1/

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've got good news, so/so news, and bad news.

Good: The patched GBA Backup Tool 0.21 works great. Though I had to figure out how to apply the IPS patch, hadn't done that before. (Hint: Lunar IPS)

So/so: FAS1 works with my Flash2Advance 256M Flash Card, PCB ID: (H)94V0 1203. Unfortunately FAS1 is unpolished, the file list doesn't update when you scroll beyond the visable list, and it locks up when you press one of the touchscreen scroll buttons.

Bad: GBA ExpLoader 0.58b0MX (fully patched) does not work with my Flash2Advance card. I didn't try any of the other versions though as I'm pretty sure this utility is only meant to write to EZFlash 3 in 1 cards.

It would be nice to see someone pick up the FAS1 project as I am sure there are still some people out there with FA and F2A cards. Fortunately it appears to be open source.

Otherwise, I'll have to pick up an EZFlash 3 in 1.

Thanks again for the help.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
GBA ExpLoader 0.58b0MX is for M3 users using the 3in1+. tools are tools, it is only bad because you don't know what and who it is for.

Use cory's loader, suppose to support FAS. I never got around to trying it.
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/about4749.html

either that or there was a modified version that supports FA/F2A/U. As to where that is, I don't know.

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I meant, it didn't work for me because it doesn't support the card I am trying to use. I didn't mean GBA ExpLoader was a bad program. Sorry if I was confusing.

I tried cory's loader but no luck there either, it is also exclusively for the 3 in 1. Cory mentions something about working on a utility for F2A Ultra after discontinuing GBAldr, but I couldn't find anything solid.

Back to square one.

My best options appear to be getting an EZFlash 3 in 1, M3 GBA Expansion, or figuring out why FAS1 won't refresh the file list properly. I would prefer not to have to spend any money when I have a perfectly good flashcard.

I've checked out the source and think I've located the functions for the file list, but I'm not exactly sure how to debug it or how to compile it after I've made changes.

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a couple versions of Wood for M3, no luck. It has options to write to RAM or NOR, but nothing happens when I choose either.

I also tried everything I could find in The M3 Quad-Boot. Nothing in there recognizes my F2A.
I do like the Sakura interface though so I may be switching to it permanantly.

I appreciate the help.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
You will probably want to pick up a AK2i with AKAIO on it just for the F2A. Most M3 users I know have more than 1 flashcart because of older stuff they want and the updating nature of M3, slow.

IMG_150524b.jpg

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. I've never really had a problem with the release rate of M3 updates. I tend to alternate between DS and PSP every few months or so.

On further consideration, I'm not sure it's a very good idea to be constantly rewriting my F2A. I'm likely to do that as I like to play different stuff as the mood strikes me.

I also read your posts in the GEP thread linked in your sig. I think the M3 GEP is better suited to what I need so I have gone ahead and ordered one from RHS.

Thanks again.

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
Xastabus said:
Well, I've got good news, so/so news, and bad news.

Good: The patched GBA Backup Tool 0.21 works great. Though I had to figure out how to apply the IPS patch, hadn't done that before. (Hint: Lunar IPS)

So/so: FAS1 works with my Flash2Advance 256M Flash Card, PCB ID: (H)94V0 1203. Unfortunately FAS1 is unpolished, the file list doesn't update when you scroll beyond the visable list, and it locks up when you press one of the touchscreen scroll buttons.

Bad: GBA ExpLoader 0.58b0MX (fully patched) does not work with my Flash2Advance card. I didn't try any of the other versions though as I'm pretty sure this utility is only meant to write to EZFlash 3 in 1 cards.

It would be nice to see someone pick up the FAS1 project as I am sure there are still some people out there with FA and F2A cards. Fortunately it appears to be open source.

Otherwise, I'll have to pick up an EZFlash 3 in 1.

Thanks again for the help.

i have Flash Advance pro 256 and FA turbo 128. FAS1 will only work on the FA 256 but not on the 128 cart.
i don't know why.
GBA Backup Tool 0.21 works, but there's no gba game write back option.

the acekard AKAiO 3in1/FAS1 option works great on restoring,writing or backing saves and games on the FA.

FAS1 is also great on backing and restoring save files and games.
but it won't scroll down past the 6 slots.
you have to delete or move some of the saves or games from the save folder to show the one you want on the menu.

supermike12345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anybody have the m3 patch for Rudolph's GBA backup tool v.0.21, or the program with the actual patch on it. I have been looking everywhere for it but I cant seem to find it. I am looking for it to back up my eeprom saves. any help would be greatly appreciated.

RotsiserMho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, thanks. I couldn't tell for sure from the previous posts if a patch existed or not. Which flashcard do you recommend? Are modern flashcards compatible with the backup tool?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop getting your creamy paste all over
    +2
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    DO NOT WORK FOR ME :(
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think he has a wedgie, and is afraid to fix it in public.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else he caught one of those Florida STD's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psis difficulty meter is Stds like how south park made it race color
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah it's skin color for difficulty in south park

is it, by that logic, blackface to play on the hardest difficulty if you're white?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Psi, you ever been on a date and ran into another past date? And how did you handle it? Just curious.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He just says this is the neighbor across the block and says sorry their mail got mixed up
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, this sounds unhinged, but someone (i forgot who) saying they'd want to make their left 4 dead team wario, samus, captain falcon and nester gave me the idea for a quick round of fuck marry kill/bed wed behead
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck marry kill:
    wario, samus, captain falcon
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i gotta say fuck captain falcon, because he's hot (no homo), marry samus, because she seems like good wife (or as BigOnYa says, wifey) material, and kill wario, because he can't die, so killing him won't really kill him
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but uhhh that's just me hehe
    iu
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    good night guys
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, wise one, thanks for trying to help.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    To sleep perchance to dream!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My state has put a heavy tax on vape juice, taxing any juice with nicotine by the weight/oz. So to get around the bs, my local vape store only sells 0 nicotine vape juices, then they also sell straight nicotine in tiny bottles, and you mix it yourself to your 0% juice, lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, is that Wing from South Park?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    BigOnYa hmmm I wonder how long until someone just vapes the straight nicotine lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was gonna say people are not that dumb, but yea you right, some are.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I was gonna say people are not that dumb, but yea you right, some are.