Hardware GBA Backlight! (AGB-001)

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a small update on my mod! Strangely my replacement 32 pin adapter also had the same issue, so I borrowed a 40 pin gba from a friend and bought a 40 pin adapter, and it turns out that the screens work perfectly fine! With that, I assumed that the issue with my 32 pin mod is either the board or the ribbon cable, but as the original unlit screen works perfectly fine, I assumed it had to be the adapter. I bought a couple of 32 pin adapters via aliexpress ("Gamers Zone") and they work perfectly!

Tl;Dr - the reason why the screen originally didn't work was because both ribbon adapters were faulty, just as Testo90 said.
Hi there, I have the same condition as you've had. I get just a white screen. I was thinking its my adapter as well. I've proved the screen works and the old screen works on the motherboard. Can you please link me the adapter you used? This is the one I'm using. Thanks!

Le_Gogh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there, I have the same condition as you've had. I get just a white screen. I was thinking its my adapter as well. I've proved the screen works and the old screen works on the motherboard. Can you please link me the adapter you used? This is the one I'm using. Thanks!

Of course, this is the one I used in the end:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32509237962/32509237962.html

I had the same symptoms as you, so its likely to be the same thing; a faulty ribbon adapter. I ended up ordering two just to make sure I got at least one that works. Although they both worked in the end!

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So, is it still impossible to put AGS 101 screen to 001 GBA-SP model? Or is there a ribbon for that now?

It seems like everyone is putting their AG101 screens into the original GBA's and not front lit SP's.

Naga_Ten

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys! Been lurking for a while, but finally decided to try my luck at putting together one of these.
I got the final parts yesterday and have been doing prep and tests.
Everything fits together and seems to be working but my screen is all "whited-out", so i thought i would just check for a solution with y'all.

My board is a 40-pin, numbered "02 2-1"
yhAAy4C.jpg

The 40-pin adapter cable i got has no solder wire and i got it from AliExpress.
It fits nicely on the motherboard and the screen fits the tab snugly as well.
SlwDx8g.jpg

The backlit screen i got is also from AliExpress, same seller.
Seems to be an A-Type, as it has a white tab and uniform width circuitry.
Kad91Q6.jpg

That said, i probably have some stuff to solder in order to fix my screen issues, what i'd like to know is exactly what.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all of you ;)

Naga_Ten

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, i'm aware it's not the best combination :\

Unfortunately i'm not great with soldering and modifying the adapter cable -and- wiring all that stuff is beyond my capabilities...

Are there any easier fixes?
Else i'll probably just try to find myself a 32-pin GBA...

alienkidmj12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
folks, i have a 40 pin gb advance with 032-2 under battery cover. im looking to get the best possible screen in uk with backlight, can anyone advise ? do i need a screen with a white tab on the end connector ? sorry for my ignorance

geyser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
folks, i have a 40 pin gb advance with 032-2 under battery cover. im looking to get the best possible screen in uk with backlight, can anyone advise ? do i need a screen with a white tab on the end connector ? sorry for my ignorance

Look 3 comments UP, 40+WHITE worst combination, you need BROWN tab display and good ribbon cable adapter

apeters

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Look 3 comments UP, 40+WHITE worst combination, you need BROWN tab display and good ribbon cable adapter
With the last ribbons posted above the 40+white combo has a decent performance.
I can confirm it. It's really difficulty to distinguish both of my mods 40+white & 32+white

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F

apeters

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
so i need the b version ?
I don't really know lol
I bought the b version and worked like a charm so it seems that that's the one to go.
The item's description isn't that clear and the pictures don't help at all.

...Or I'm just dumb and don't understand the description in English.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F

gba1230

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just did this mod and I don't know if other people ran into this issue, but when i first ran through this i attached the ribbon cable and soldered the power per most videos i saw. I ran into an issue of an overly bright image. I did the rec to ground mentioned in this post with no success. Unknowingly to me some of these ribbon cables come with power already attached (within the ribbon, not on the solder pads) and if you double up with an additional power line you will get this overly bright image (fairly obvious once you know why, I know). So obviously my fix was removing the added power line I had placed in...

Last edited by gba1230,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1