Homebrew GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES etc. Emulators for O3ds and ONLY for Old 3DS :)

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It isn't just the PSP having a higher clock frequency, but it also takes advantage of the Media Engine chip as kind of a second CPU, albeit with some limitations.

Now, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but emulation on the o3DS may still improve. Having to render graphics in software is really what holds it back, imo. blargSNES does attempt to use the GPU to render everything as polygons, but there are various inaccuracies, and sometimes, it takes quite a bit of processing just to build the lists for the GPU to render. I'm hoping a more streamlined, and less intensive method will be fully devised once we understand the hardware a bit more.

Nice, are you guys still working on BlargSnes btw?

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
explainhow sonic 3d runs fullspeed then

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the old3ds still has some better specs compared to a psp it has more ram etc

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
explainhow sonic 3d runs fullspeed then

The Genesis is not as complex as the SNES, especially when it comes to the PPU (Picture Processing Unit). The only thing the Genesis really has over the SNES is a more powerful CPU, which doesn't require as much as the other portions of emulating these retro systems. Unless I'm mistaken, the 3D classics of the Genesis games are hybrids. Not quite Genesis games, not quite 3DS games. And they have to adjust this per game. Even the developers said they were really pushing it to get 60fps.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The Genesis is not as complex as the SNES, especially when it comes to the PPU (Picture Processing Unit). The only thing the Genesis really has over the SNES is a more powerful CPU, which doesn't require as much as the other portions of emulating these retro systems. Unless I'm mistaken, the 3D classics of the Genesis games are hybrids. Not quite Genesis games, not quite 3DS games. And they have to adjust this per game. Even the developers said they were really pushing it to get 60fps.
if you dump the game you can see the roms and inject ones into iti think

any way using gpsp on a9lh or emunand it tuns pokemon full speed the tilte screen slows down because of the effects and games like mario kart superciruit lag cause of the 3d effect

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
if you dump the game you can see the roms and inject ones into iti think

That's why I said they were hybrids. The emulator that was made can run Genesis/MD games, afaik, but the emulator itself is not limited to Genesis/MD specifications. It's was designed as if the Genesis could do more, technically as if it could do what the 3DS could. They called it the Giga Drive. It's still designed to emulate Genesis games, but the 3D classics are altered to take advantage of the offerings that are considered native to the 3DS platform, thereby reducing the overall emulation requirement, or so I believe.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
That's why I said they were hybrids. The emulator that was made can run Genesis/MD games, afaik, but the emulator itself is not limited to Genesis/MD specifications. It's was designed as if the Genesis could do more, technically as if it could do what the 3DS could. They called it the Giga Drive. It's still designed to emulate Genesis games, but the 3D classics are altered to take advantage of the offerings that are considered native to the 3DS platform, thereby reducing the overall emulation requirement, or so I believe.
so people could make emulators like this

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll have to check the Gens Gx core on O3DS again if it can run SMS / GG full speed now - the last time I checked it (months ago, admittedly) it was barely playable.

The 3D Sega remasters run at 120 fps BTW; 60fps for each eye.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
any ways the the 3d collection thing uses a 3d emulator the rom is unchanged the emulator just renders the game in 3d like that 3ds nes emulator some one made

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You know, that isn't actually the case. Every MD ROM was modified, reworked, expanded, had bug fixes implemented, extra game content inserted and other stuff too. The Arcade ROMs and their source codes - for several different arcade boards - were even more modified and improved. The 3D Galaxy Force one used visual content originally redrawn in much higher resolution for the 2008 PS2 remaster. Fantasy Zone II was completely rewritten from the ground up as an original 3DS game. Other examples are too numerous to mention.

It's nice to think that they simply made an emulator that somehow converted everything nicely to 3D, drew and inserted extra art assets and game code etc but that would be demonstrating a lack of understanding about the blood, sweat and dedication it took to make these.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

so many threads talking about emulators in general and most of them only works for New 3DS.

I am using O3ds, have a look at my signature :)

Now I need your personal opinion. I am looking for GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, NES, SNES, N64, Sega, Atari and so on Emulators for the OLD 3DS.

Which emulator are you personal using on your O3DS?

Ps. I assume whatever emulator you are using its indeed the one which works at best on O3DS, so i dont need to ask for the fastest one yet I would appreciate if you could tell me the pro and contra from your own opinion.

Again Ps. Maybe someone can also explain what the hell did Nintendo think when building O3DS. In some cases it behaves worse than a Gameboy! What exactly prevents O3DS to run emulators? is it a worse CPU, Ram or bad architecture?
If you have CFW, install GPSP as a .cia. Some games run pretty close to full speed.

BlargSNES runs like crap. Can't get 60fps on a N3DS ans also doesn't support special chip.

Pip'
blargsnes is for O3ds. use snes9x for N3ds (and try some cfw too.)

Uupo03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I use Nintendo VC for everything but SNES since there are only a few games on it nd they are only for n3ds.
So.. i use snes9x which is basically blargsnes but looks nicer and has more options and it also includes save states.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Nintendo VC for everything but SNES since there are only a few games on it nd they are only for n3ds.
So.. i use snes9x which is basically blargsnes but looks nicer and has more options and it also includes save states.
Certain games, like megaman X, run better on blargsnes though, rathen than snes9x.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there is no DS emulator on the 3DS, just stick with the R4i you have to play DS games. If it's an old one that's been blocked, you can either install a patched TWL_FIRM to your emuNAND or use a CFW that applies the patches automatically (e.g., Luma3DS, or I think Cakes, no clue if RxTools does it).

That's sort of the trade-off they chose by using a more modern GPU. Modern GPUs don't typically use tile-based graphics anymore (PowerVR in phones is one example of a modern GPU that does), which means that it's up to the CPU to draw each pixel in every tile instead of just giving the GPU tiles to draw (meaning it's very slow). That, paired with a 268MHz CPU doesn't leave a lot of room for the O3DS to both simulate the hardware of an old console and push pixels to the screen to show the game. Since the N3DS's clock speed is roughly 3x faster, it has more raw power to brute force all those pixels to the screen (and hence why it can also run more accurate emulators than the O3DS).

The original DS and GBA (and SP) didn't have this problem with pixel pushing, because they still had dedicated 2D hardware that was similar to other tile-based consoles. That's why the original DS (and GBA to an extent) can run things like Goomba, GameYob, Genesis DS, etc. at full speed, while the O3DS struggles; it's merely the fact that the O3DS has a LOT more work to do and not enough CPU power with which to do it.
actually, there is a ds emulator for the 3ds. 3desmume. Your point still stands as 3desmume runs like garbage atm, but i thought that was an interesting fact.

Reactions: BORTZ

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, there is a ds emulator for the 3ds. 3desmume. Your point still stands as 3desmume runs like garbage atm, but i thought that was an interesting fact.
I'm pretty sure 3desume didn't exist when he posted that.
This thread is nearly a year old.
It was necrobumped and nobody noticed! XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Just like subway they lie about length