Gauntlet DS cancellation almost confirmed

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, although I'm sad to have to report it.
frown.gif

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Densetsu3000 said:
How is it that shitware like Imagine: _________z regularly gets the green light, and a classic, epic, highly-anticipated title like Gauntlet DS gets canned?

There's no justice in this world.

I wouldn't go far as to say EPIC judging from the most recent titles named gauntlet. But considering the game is complete no more development costs i don't see why they won't give it a release. Theres nothing to lose.

Also i'm not so sure DS piracy is actually that bad. Yes it looks like it from our viewpoint being on a piracy site, but the majority of people still buy games. When the pirating minority becomes too big like PC games then it is a problem. 200,000 sales for Contra is actually very good for that type of game, i think overall companies have been happy with DS sales.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shadz said:
I recall.....Gauntlet Legends for N64 and Playstation...

And then Gauntlet: The Seven Sorrows for ps2...
Kinda offtopic, but, Gaunlet legends, was this ever released for VC?
Or ever injected or something?

And, this was one game I was looking forward to damnit:(

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised that everyone thinks it would get canceled because of potential sales. Seems to me that this game was very technically ambitious for the DS, with all that they are planning to do over wi-fi. If they do cancel it, it may very well be because there were technical hurdles they couldn't overcome on the hardware.

Either way, I'd be very disappointed.
sleep.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awww rats. I was looking forward to this one. Pretty hard too. As a matter of fact, Wife® was more excited about this than i was
ohmy.gif
. She loves the newer gauntlet games. Good chance a "Dark Legacy" disc will be in a random system at the new place, and we'll all have characters to run with, for whomever is home lol.

Poor poor GauntletDS
cry.gif

Gonna reverse gravity and dump some out for my potentially dead homie.
grog.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:
Densetsu3000 said:
irpacynot said:
The irony, though, is anyone here wondering why Gauntlet would get canceled, as most folks here likely weren't going to buy it, myself included.
I have to disagree.

I can only speak for myself,

Yeah, I think you're in the minority, though.

wink.gif
Thanks for picking up on the subtly of the English language. And I definitely wasn't trying to make a judgment one way or the other about pirating (which would, of course, be even more ironic). I was simply pointing out that MOST folks who frequent this particular website likely would not have purchased this game.

What's more, not a day goes by (all right...perhaps a day or two here and there) when I don't read a comment in one of the release threads where someone is complaining about some piece of shovelware and "why do publishers put out this shit?" Well, because the Walmart (a retail generalization, by the way) crowd makes up the majority of people who actually are paying for games. I'm pretty sure the publishers are more interested in cash returns over impressing a bunch of pirates. Again, this isn't an indictment against piracy; it's a fact regarding people who want to make money.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You're right, you did say "most" and not "all"
wink.gif

It's just that the statement doesn't apply to me because I guess I'm not part of the majority.

Of course it has to do with money, that goes without saying. But it just seems like a big waste to scrap it even after Eidos has already completed the game. I can understand terminating production midway through, but it's already finished!

mortys

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
The problem for Eidos is not to just to loose the price of the dev. if the ship the games and have bad sales, you can imagine how many bucks they'll loose. I think that's the main reason why the game is cancelled. That's a pity for a lot of leecher but that's life...

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Well, because the Walmart (a retail generalization, by the way) crowd makes up the majority of people who actually are paying for games. I'm pretty sure the publishers are more interested in cash returns over impressing a bunch of pirates. Again, this isn't an indictment against piracy; it's a fact regarding people who want to make money.
I wish you were wrong about that, but I don't think you are. I mean, isn't Nintendogs the highest selling game on the system? And both Brain Age games are in the top 5 or 6.

I think you're correct when you say that the people who frequent this board do not represent the target market for game developers. So of course the general opinion here is going to be "all that gets released now are crap games". We just have to be grateful when we do get a good game, especially when the developer knows it isn't going to be a big seller. That's why some of us buy the games that are actually worth it, and deserve support. It's a drop in the bucket, I know, but to me it seems like the right thing to do. Not just morally, but for the longevity of the system.

mortys

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I completly agree with you and good games must be supported. That's the mauin problem on PC and it's starting to be a real problem on DS. Gamers here mainly don't buy a lot of games (not all ?), and casuals only buy sucking games. So if we want to have good games on DS we should think to buy some...

magic_marty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well ffs i cant even get the dam demo to play all i get is a bunch of retarded text like stuff

walmart says this about gauntlet............"Coming Soon
Preorders Sold Out
Out of Stock Online
Not Sold Online

This item is being discontinued. Availability is limited.

Preorder this item today and it should ship on 04/24/2009"

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A pity it might be cancelled. I was looking forward to this one, fingers crossed.

QUOTE said:
I think you're correct when you say that the people who frequent this board do not represent the target market for game developers. So of course the general opinion here is going to be "all that gets released now are crap games". We just have to be grateful when we do get a good game, especially when the developer knows it isn't going to be a big seller. That's why some of us buy the games that are actually worth it, and deserve support. It's a drop in the bucket, I know, but to me it seems like the right thing to do. Not just morally, but for the longevity of the system.

Good Point.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well maybe those who reviewed it might get it onto the net somehow. Retro Gamer still have theirs and theres was meant to be the finished one.

Shame it might never come out, it had some great reviews (and a few not so great).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ