Hacking Gateway eshop titles to 3ds: permanent or not?

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
actually, I would refrain from purchasing anything on the EmuNAND as any downloads are tied to that rather than the console, which is even worse as if the SDCard breaks, corrupts, or gets lost, you lose any puchases, vs only needing to worry about the 3DS itself getting stolen, damaged, or lost as it is stored on the NAND, which under normal circumstances would not randomly corrupt, break, or get lost.

good luck trying to explain to Nintendo that you need your puchases relinked to your console as the games as the console lost its license to play the game somehow?
in order to get them to do that, you need to have your 3DS stolen and a police report filed, only then will they link purchases, and it would need to be to a new console as they will not relink it to the same console.

the best bet here is to use 2 seperate 3DS's. one Gateway and one normal. that way you at least have some sort of recourse (however limited that may be) to getting purchases back vs none if you mess up and forget to backup the emunand/or delete the backup then end up having the SD Card with the emunand corrupt on you.

having backups is still not good enough as you could still lose stuff by backing up the emunand, buying a game away from home, and having the emunand or sdcard corrupt somehow before you get to make a backup on the purchase you made away from home.

its cool the game was free and i was eager to see what would happen. I wont be making any actual purchases from the eshop.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, I would refrain from purchasing anything on the EmuNAND as any downloads are tied to that rather than the console, which is even worse as if the SDCard breaks, corrupts, or gets lost, you lose any puchases, vs only needing to worry about the 3DS itself getting stolen, damaged, or lost as it is stored on the NAND, which under normal circumstances would not randomly corrupt, break, or get lost.

good luck trying to explain to Nintendo that you need your puchases relinked to your console as the games as the console lost its license to play the game somehow?
in order to get them to do that, you need to have your 3DS stolen and a police report filed, only then will they link purchases, and it would need to be to a new console as they will not relink it to the same console.

the best bet here is to use 2 seperate 3DS's. one Gateway and one normal. that way you at least have some sort of recourse (however limited that may be) to getting purchases back vs none if you mess up and forget to backup the emunand/or delete the backup then end up having the SD Card with the emunand corrupt on you.

having backups is still not good enough as you could still lose stuff by backing up the emunand, buying a game away from home, and having the emunand or sdcard corrupt somehow before you get to make a backup on the purchase you made away from home.

Have you tested this? I see no reason why they're tied to one firmware file instead of the 3DS system. AFAIK the way eshop games work is by console ID (or something similar) which should be the same regardless of what firmware you're running.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tested this? I see no reason why they're tied to one firmware file instead of the 3DS system. AFAIK the way eshop games work is by console ID (or something similar) which should be the same regardless of what firmware you're running.

I based how its linked to the console from how the Wii Shop does it. on my Wii, I actually did something stupid one day and low level erase (via Anytitle Deleter) of a VC game, Toejam and Earl. it erased my license/ticket on the Wii so the Wii Shop would not let me download it again without paying for it again. what is even more weird is that that game got transferred to the Wii U ( I installed a WAD of it after I deleted it) like nothing ever happened. very strange.

Well, I assume the 3DS works the same way since it was in development during the Wii's lifespan. A good way to test this is would be to do this

1. Dump NAND of 4.1-4.5 3DS via hardware.
2. Setup 6.3 EmuNAND and purchase a game on the eShop.
3. Update the real NAND of the 3DS to 6.3 and see if the game purchased on 6.3 EmuNAND is available to redownload free then install it.
4. Downgrade back to 4.1-4.5 to allow use of Gateway again.

if the game is available to redownload for free, then it is tied to the console ID and in such a way that allows you you to redownload purchases without needing a ticket/license to be already present to do so.

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I based how its linked to the console from how the Wii Shop does it. on my Wii, I actually did something stupid one day and low level erase (via Anytitle Deleter) of a VC game, Toejam and Earl. it erased my license/ticket on the Wii so the Wii Shop would not let me download it again without paying for it again. what is even more weird is that that game got transferred to the Wii U ( I installed a WAD of it after I deleted it) like nothing ever happened. very strange.

Well, I assume the 3DS works the same way since it was in development during the Wii's lifespan. A good way to test this is would be to do this

1. Dump NAND of 4.1-4.5 3DS via hardware.
2. Setup 6.3 EmuNAND and purchase a game on the eShop.
3. Update the real NAND of the 3DS to 6.3 and see if the game purchased on 6.3 EmuNAND is available to redownload free then install it.
4. Downgrade back to 4.1-4.5 to allow use of Gateway again.

if the game is available to redownload for free, then it is tied to the console ID and in such a way that allows you you to redownload purchases without needing a ticket/license to be already present to do so.

I just tried this, except by using a second emunand. On my first emunand, I bought Oracle of Ages. On my second, I was able to redownload it without paying! Looks like your eshop data is safely stored in the cloud.

Heero808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried this, except by using a second emunand. On my first emunand, I bought Oracle of Ages. On my second, I was able to redownload it without paying! Looks like your eshop data is safely stored in the cloud.

So you bought something on 6.3 Emunand and then formated the SD card and setup the Emunand all over again and the download was available?

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you bought something on 6.3 Emunand and then formated the SD card and setup the Emunand all over again and the download was available?

Yes. Of course, the second emunand was based off of the 4.5 system, which had no memory of that download... yet it was available for redownload.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Back