Hacking Gateway 2.0 Beta Firmware RELEASED!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gateway mode - no EmuNAND partition : Play ROMs on real NAND. Same as old Gateway 1.x (runs on Real NAND)
Gateway mode - with EmuNAND partition : Play ROMs on EmuNAND.
Gateway classic - with EmuNAND partition : Doesn't play ROMs, but plays Cartridge in EmuNAND.

Classic mode without EmuNAND is unuseful.

Attention, games with new SDK with update partition 6.x will use different save encryption on EmuNAND than on real NAND. if you played your game on 6.x real NAND (with another 3DS), and try to play with your EmuNAND 6.x (using KeyY from 4.5.0-10), the save will be deleted/reinitialized.

DeathKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
classic mode is for retail games that need newer firmware. on this mode, gw cart doesn't work and MAYBE internet using games will work.

So does it block updates from retail cartiges?If i go classic mode and put in zelda or other 5+ required game does it just ask for an update?Or is classic mode for retail/cartige games that require firmware below 4.5?Or is classic mode just boots up regular firmware(the way 3ds is at when you turn it on.gw cartige doesnt start and it is just regular 3ds with 4.5 firmware)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, it doesn't block updates/firmware spoof/etc.
It acts like if you have your 3DS without gateway, but runs on EmuNAND instead of your real NAND: you need to update the EmuNAND firmware to 6.x from the Settings menu first if you want to play games which require an update.
Do no update from eShop or from a game.

Read what I explained above about the different save encryption.

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
So does it block updates from retail cartiges?If i go classic mode and put in zelda or other 5+ required game does it just ask for an update?Or is classic mode for retail/cartige games that require firmware below 4.5?Or is classic mode just boots up regular firmware(the way 3ds is at when you turn it on.gw cartige doesnt start and it is just regular 3ds with 4.5 firmware)

if you are using emuNAND on classic mode you should update it to latest firmware, so you can use eshop and play retail games.
emunand was made to be updated so you can have all the advantages of playing a 'normal' 3ds. you just need to be careful on how you update it, so you won't update your real NAND (and making your 3ds not gateway compatible)
like Cyan said, Classic mode won't work roms, and the Classic mode without emuNAND is useless. You can also play all the games on Gateway mode with emuNAND, since it's exactly like the 1.2 version, but now supporting 6.x games.

So, it's like this:

Want to play retail games, eShop and all that stuff? Classic mode with emuNAND updated
Want to play your ROMS on gateway card? Gateway mode with emuNAND updated (so you can play 5-6.x FW games)
Want to play your ROMS up to 4.5 firmware? Just like gateway 1.2? Gateway mode without emuNAND.

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In case anyone is afraid of updating after seeing some people end up on system fw 6.3, here is a repeation of some tips/guides that helped me safely update to emunand 6.3.

1 - Change the look of system nand and emunand.
I did this by setting the icons to their largest setting (3 visible at once), and then in system nand, only have the settings icon in the middle position. And in emunand only have the game cartridge icon in the middle position.

2 - After setting up your wifi connection in emunand mode, reboot your DS into system nand and delete all internet connections.
Now your system nand should not be able to do anything wifi related (aka no accidental update).

3 - Make sure you check the fw on the top screen after entering settings in emunand mode before updating, it should say GW.

4 - Do not do anything else in settings when you enter it to do the update.
Enter settings from emunand mode, and straight do the update.

If you clicked anything else at all, reboot your 3DS and emunand mode, just to be safe.

DeathKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so right now i'm using GW mode with updated emunand to play Eshop games.Would going classic mode effect my saves or anything at all?

So what i understand from this is.

Emunand + GW mode = Play Red cartige with roms that require 4.5+ firmware and play games bought from eshop
Emunand + Classic mode= Play retail cartiges that require 4.5+ firmware and play games bought from eshop

So what exectly effects saves between firmwares or modes?

No-Emunand + GW mode TO Updated Emunand + GW mode effects saves?

Also does it matter if i play eshop games in classic mode or GW mode?Because PW: DD works on GW mode.

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In case anyone is afraid of updating after seeing some people end up on system fw 6.3, here is a repeation of some tips/guides that helped me safely update to emunand 6.3.

1 - Change the look of system nand and emunand.
I did this by setting the icons to their largest setting (3 visible at once), and then in system nand, only have the settings icon in the middle position. And in emunand only have the game cartridge icon in the middle position.

2 - After setting up your wifi connection in emunand mode, reboot your DS into system nand and delete all internet connections.
Now your system nand should not be able to do anything wifi related (aka no accidental update).

3 - Make sure you check the fw on the top screen after entering settings in emunand mode before updating, it should say GW.

4 - Do not do anything else in settings when you enter it to do the update.
Enter settings from emunand mode, and straight do the update.

If you clicked anything else at all, reboot your 3DS and emunand mode, just to be safe.

these are quite useful tips.. will try them to make sure I don't mess up..

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway mode - no EmuNAND partition : Play ROMs on real NAND. Same as old Gateway 1.x (runs on Real NAND)
Gateway classic - with EmuNAND partition : Doesn't play ROMs, but plays Cartridge in EmuNAND, allows latest firmware, eShop and internet. useful to update the EmuNAND to latest firmware to play retail games.

Not quite right? I'm using eShop fine in "Gateway mode" (emunand 6.3).

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
Ok so right now i'm using GW mode with updated emunand to play Eshop games.Would going classic mode effect my saves or anything at all?

So what i understand from this is.

Emunand + GW mode = Play Red cartige with roms that require 4.5+ firmware and play games bought from eshop
Emunand + Classic mode= Play retail cartiges that require 4.5+ firmware and play games bought from eshop

So what exectly effects saves between firmwares or modes?

No-Emunand + GW mode TO Updated Emunand + GW mode effects saves?

Also does it matter if i play eshop games in classic mode or GW mode?Because PW: DD works on GW mode.

Well, my updated NAND mode is working with my old 1.2 saves normally, so I guess it will all work.
Emunand + GW can also play 4.5- games.
I don't think it makes any difference on eShop, but it would be safer to use classic mode on eShop, I guess.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys. Been reading a lot on this forumtopic but there's quite many pages as is already. I haven't really understood how to do some of the steps, for instance on how to dump your nand, with what cartridge you should access the update etc, and explanations are quite diffiuse. Don't want to accidentally update the 3ds on original firmware so was just wondering if anyone would maybe explain in a little more detail how to do things step by step, or even better, does anyone know if there's a youtubevideo or somesort on someone actually updating? Any help is apreciated! =)

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Gateway classic - with EmuNAND partition : Doesn't play ROMs, but plays Cartridge in EmuNAND.

Classic mode without EmuNAND is unuseful.

Attention, games with new SDK will use different save encryption on EmuNAND than on real NAND. if you played your game on 6.x real NAND (with another 3DS), and try to play with your EmuNAND 6.x (using KeyY from 4.5.0-10), the save will be deleted/reinitialized.

Only games that come with an update partion of 6.x and above, or where finalized after 6.x came out will have the save issue, because of the new flags set, the KeyY thing is FW not SDK so to speak, 90% of the sdk 5.x games are fine, just pokemon, zelda, Mario Party: Island Tour and new Layton game i think so far, Issue is regardless of mode all games use old KeyY method

So, it's like this:

Want to play retail games, eShop and all that stuff? Classic mode with emuNAND updated
Want to play your ROMS on gateway card? Gateway mode with emuNAND updated (so you can play 5-6.x FW games)
Want to play your ROMS up to 4.5 firmware? Just like gateway 1.2? Gateway mode without emuNAND.

No its not, regardless of EmuNAND or no EmuNAND or whether EmuNAND is updated, the same romset runs via normal GW mode or via EmuNAND,

FOR THE 1000TH TIME, EMUNAND IS NOT REQUIRED IF YOU JUST PLAY ROMS, ALL WORK IDENTICALLY TO WHAT WORKS ON UPDATED EMUNAND

Reactions: Cyan

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I can confirm that internet usage in games works in Classic mode EmuNAND 6.3 (in Pokemon X/Y at least). I was able to download the event torchic and access the GTS.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if someone has already asked, but I genuinely lack the time right now to browse the 25 pages in this thread to find the answer and Google and GBAtemp's searches aren't helping. Has anyone running emuNAND updated their Mii Plaza? Any problems? I'm assuming it all happens in the emuNAND, so there shouldn't be any issues, but I'm curious about others experience.

Also, if I leave my old un-updated version of Mii Plaza there will I still be able to spot pass at a Nintendo Zone w/ it while running emuNAND? It's a system feature, not a feature of the new Mii Plaza, correct?

I'm a little late to the party, I know, but I didn't realize how full my SD was until the GW 2.0b release and I just now managed to pick up a new/bigger one.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing... What happens once I've updated the plaza on emuNAND, use it, etc, and then use it again under the un-updated 4.5 version in my "real" NAND? Does the updated version break the save data for the old one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1