Gaming trends through the years...

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, I know the song I just didn't know who sung it.

I don't know if it counts but being able to understand spoken Japanese but unable to write and read (yea i'm kinda crap at that) and whats Styx?

A) If you get the language enough to understand inflection and some terminology then I can see why you'd listen to a Japanese version over an English version.
Its also for better practice at fansubbing and translating. I can read a little since you need to adapt quickly if you play Japanese games but not enough to write alot of stuff but this is getting off topic which brings me back to my point that I still think FPS should not die but let other genres be on top for a while, they had their time and I wish devs push other genres more harder than just FPS.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that disturbs me about gaming trends and where they are going is the increasing number of people who take video games wayyyyy too seriously. People are obsessed with K/Ds, lore, and such to the point that it's really starting to take the fun out of gaming.

I really don't see anything wrong with immersing yourself in a game's lore or story but fanaticism is not great. Like people who feel that disagreeing with their view on a game is the equivalent to pissing on their ancestor's grave. Like my friends in general really enjoy and know a lot about Mass Effect lore and will defend it if it's insulted but they won't throw tantrums over it. It's just something we all enjoy and something we like to discuss.

I think I get what you're saying though.

Immersion is great. I immerse myself in any and every game/movie/book/album I take the time to play/watch/read/listen to. That's the only way you can really enjoy anything, even the "shitty" stuff. I enjoyed Sucker Punch. I enjoyed Rage. I prefer to let the storyteller tell their story rather than make up my mind as to where I think it should go. I would rather go back and play 007: Nightfire against bots than play the latest CoD against a bunch of 13 years old obsessed with keeping their K/D up.

Immersing yourself in any form of media is not a bad thing, I'm pretty sure that's actually how you're supposed to do it. Obsessing over any form of media to the point that it makes you angry IRL is ridiculous...

Look, if this is about the ME3 ending debacle, get over it. I don't care what form of media/product it is, if the quality is not up to snuff (especially the quality of an already established series) I will be speaking out about it. It doesn't matter if you're a fan or not, poor writing is a serious offense in any media situation. In fact it sits right up there with misinformation, and false embellishment.

- I was speaking of fanaticism in the broadest sense. If you read my post, I wrote of lore AND K/Ds as some examples of fanaticism. Guild mentioned Mass Effect.

- "false embellishment" is a tad redundant

- How is it possible to have "misinformation" in a piece of original fiction? They made up the story wrong? I'm pretty sure it's their story to tell whether you like how they tell it or not... Game publishers are in the business of making money the same as record labels, book publishers, and movie studios. With the amount of nerdrage over the ending of Mass Effect it surely must be the first time a publisher has pushed an artist to get something out there as quickly as possible in an effort to maximize their investment... Surely a budding writer can empathize to some extent with regard to the situation the artists are put in, in the age of Michael Bay and American Idol?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that disturbs me about gaming trends and where they are going is the increasing number of people who take video games wayyyyy too seriously. People are obsessed with K/Ds, lore, and such to the point that it's really starting to take the fun out of gaming.

I really don't see anything wrong with immersing yourself in a game's lore or story but fanaticism is not great. Like people who feel that disagreeing with their view on a game is the equivalent to pissing on their ancestor's grave. Like my friends in general really enjoy and know a lot about Mass Effect lore and will defend it if it's insulted but they won't throw tantrums over it. It's just something we all enjoy and something we like to discuss.

I think I get what you're saying though.

Immersion is great. I immerse myself in any and every game/movie/book/album I take the time to play/watch/read/listen to. That's the only way you can really enjoy anything, even the "shitty" stuff. I enjoyed Sucker Punch. I enjoyed Rage. I prefer to let the storyteller tell their story rather than make up my mind as to where I think it should go. I would rather go back and play 007: Nightfire against bots than play the latest CoD against a bunch of 13 years old obsessed with keeping their K/D up.

Immersing yourself in any form of media is not a bad thing, I'm pretty sure that's actually how you're supposed to do it. Obsessing over any form of media to the point that it makes you angry IRL is ridiculous...

Look, if this is about the ME3 ending debacle, get over it. I don't care what form of media/product it is, if the quality is not up to snuff (especially the quality of an already established series) I will be speaking out about it. It doesn't matter if you're a fan or not, poor writing is a serious offense in any media situation. In fact it sits right up there with misinformation, and false embellishment.

- I was speaking of fanaticism in the broadest sense. If you read my post, I wrote of lore AND K/Ds as some examples of fanaticism. Guild mentioned Mass Effect.

- "false embellishment" is a tad redundant

- How is it possible to have "misinformation" in a piece of original fiction? They made up the story wrong? I'm pretty sure it's their story to tell whether you like how they tell it or not... Game publishers are in the business of making money the same as record labels, book publishers, and movie studios. With the amount of nerdrage over the ending of Mass Effect it surely must be the first time a publisher has pushed an artist to get something out there as quickly as possible in an effort to maximize their investment... Surely a budding writer can empathize to some extent with regard to the situation the artists are put in, in the age of Michael Bay and American Idol?

Mass Effect's lore is fantastic. I just don't see how lore can cause such levels of fanaticism. Sure, lore that isn't well defined can be open to debate, but with a lore that is laid out (example: Lord of the Rings) there is no debate, just education. I do see what you're say though, don't get me wrong.

You can't have misinformation in an original fiction! I'm talking about things like news, or rumors. That's what I'm talking about. The only thing I hate about GBAtemp is the slew of incredibly obvious rumors and inaccurate information that is presented as facts.

Also, I purposely made it redundant. :)

EDIT: Oh, and pushing things out to maximize profit has always been bad. Money grubbing publishers can ruin a game, and I've always been against rushing things.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mass Effect's lore is fantastic. I just don't see how lore can cause such levels of fanaticism. Sure, lore that isn't well defined can be open to debate, but with a lore that is laid out (example: Lord of the Rings) there is no debate, just education. I do see what you're say though, don't get me wrong.

Well some people do enjoy spending their weekends dressing up as orcs and pretending to go on the ultimate quest if that's "fanaticism".

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well some people do enjoy spending their weekends dressing up as orcs and pretending to go on the ultimate quest if that's "fanaticism".
You mean roleplaying? If so, that's typical. Many people dress up as their characters to immerse themselves in the role. It isn't fanaticism in the least, just taking it to the next level.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You mean roleplaying? If so, that's typical. Many people dress up as their characters to immerse themselves in the role. It isn't fanaticism in the least, just taking it to the next level.

This form of role playing is much less common and accepted than you seem to think. And isn't fanaticism just taking an interest one level too far anyway?

Reactions: 1 person

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This form of role playing is much less common and accepted than you seem to think. And isn't fanaticism just taking an interest one level too far anyway?
Well, yea, I suppose it isn't typical when you think about it; my bad. If you can't immerse yourself in a character without dressing up, you have some problems, but it isn't fanaticism. Fanaticism in terms of roleplaying would be something like walking around in public dressed and acting like your character. Fanaticism is described as an irrational enthusiasm in doing something. Like the example above, no one in their right mind would walk and talk like a fictional character without irrational devotion. Die hard Bandboys who won't ever change their opinion are examples of fanatics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think I did then it broke a few months later
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious
    I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1tb SD card for whatever reason
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 1tb SD card for whatever reason