Gaming in today's day and age is great

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There. It had to be said. Every so often I visit these threads, I pick up parts of posts that seem to imply doom and disaster in the gaming world. If a game is unoptimized at launch, it's a scandal. If a game is delayed, canceled (project cars on wiiu) or doesn't live up to expectations (watch_dogs), it's a prime target for mockery. Franchises have become stale, the new consoles are inferior to PC's, nintendo is doomed, and so on, and so on. This is a nice example.

I'm now 34, which probably means I've been around gaming longer than many other gamers. And while it's certainly true I'm a bit nostalgic, I'm wondering if some gamers are only remembering the good side of reality. Hence this article. I'll probably sound like an old fart mumbling something about whippersnappers needing to get off my gaming lawn...but here I am proclaiming gaming is now better than...well, perhaps not better than EVER (I'm not blind to today's imperfections), but sure as hell better than it once was.

1. gaming was EXPENSIVE

I had a game boy when I was young (say...20-25 years ago). And I still remember the prices: 1500 Belgian Franks for most games, give or take a couple hundred. Console and PC games were around 2000. That's 37 euro, respectively 49.5 euro's. Not taking inflation into account, and especially since the switch to the euro, everything got a hellovalot more expensive. Except games, that is.
This was also before retailers (at least in my country) got the idea of selling second hand games directly next to new ones. Sure, we traded games a lot at school, but in stores, prices stayed steady for months and probably years after release.

PC gaming was a bitch as well. Or owning PC's, for that matter. Before windows XP and dual core processors, PC's were (relatively) flaky, unreliable and outdated before you could even install the damn thing. Reinstalling your PC every year or so was very common, and unless you had way too much money, you really had to check the required specs on new games to see if your PC met the demand.

Compare that to today. Consoles and handhelds...sort of kept the same price range (probably a bit cheaper if you compare it to the price of other items then and now). But games' prices have plummeted to an almost embarrassing level. Wait a couple months after release date and you'll easily find any game half the price (EDIT: okay, admitted: nintendo's games are an exception here). The indie scene provides plenty of awesome games for the price of a freaking soda, and old games...well, there ARE old games now (getting retro games before internet went mainstream was more a matter of luck than skill).

And of course gaming PC's became affordable. Okay, it'll still cost you a pretty penny if you want top of the line, but today all it gets you is +60 FPS at maxed settings. There was a time where you needed to spend that money if you wanted the modern games of that day to run faster than a slideshow. If you bought a brand new rig in 1990, it was average or even outdated in 1995. If you bought a brand new rig in 2006, it may still serve as a decent PC for indie games (or some AAA-titles at low settings) now.

Oh, and something I downright forgot to mention: (standalone) mods, abandonware, fan remakes and freeware. The latter was...somewhat around on PC gaming, but was hardly ever anything more than tech demos or disguised shareware (and later on: flash games). While freemium is still somewhat rampant on mobile platforms (usually in the form of 'it's free if you watch some advertisement or let us spy on everything you do'), there are quite some projects that were simply unthinkable before. Trackmania, openTTC, openRA, fistful of frags, team fortress 2...you really don't have to look hard to find more than decent games for the price of zero bucks (check here for just one list).

2. information was scarce

this may sound odd, as I'm sure plenty of gamers from my age will rack up piles and piles of magazines of those days. But no matter how high you stack it, it's no comparison to the internet of today. And that showed: though I consider myself a gamer, I rarely knew release dates of games. In today's day and age, it's perfectly normal to hear about games months and even years in advance, back then you usually heard about it when it was released (keep in mind this was before companies truly realised the value of franchises). Today, knowing which games are out in Japan is but a google away. Try getting that information without using the internet and you'll see the difference.

Perhaps it sounds controversial, but the very fact that gaming journalists are sometimes accused of being subjective is a very good thing. If you still have old gaming magazines, check out a game you know is bad and read "reviews" for it. Those guys were simply paid by the companies to write propaganda, and who was going to complain? Adult gamers were relatively rare and children like me were just too dumb to realise it (I bet at one point or another, we've all bought a terrible game and learned that way that objectivity was a lie).
Needless to say: no youtube means no let's plays, critic reviews or independent reviews. And while nostalgics sometimes bring up that thrill of finding a new franchise entry in stores (super mario land...2???? :D :D :D ), it's not like any of us actually want to go back to that time.

3. not all games were great

When nostalgics talk about the games of yore, notice how they'll only mention a fraction of the games that were available. It's as if the early nineties were a parade of great games like Castlevania, Super Mario, Contra, Sonic, C&C, pac-man, mega man, tetris and what have you. They weren't. Sure, those games were there. Sure, they quickly rose to the top of popularity. But they were NOT the only ones. For every game that was considered good or great, there were at least as many mediocre to bad games out there. And that's not including the knock-off's, because developers copy-pasting what worked for others was just as much an issue as before (double dragon, streets of rage and final fight are considered classics, but how are they different?).
And figuring out which games were good was mostly a matter of mouth-to-mouth. There's no other way to tell whether "metroid" is better than "slalom"...the box art certainly doesn't tell you (*insert notorious example*). Just take a look at a game list of just about any retro console and think about how many of 'em you've never heard of. Nonetheless, all of these were marketed and sold at some point, at a price point that's higher than any game by today's standards.

ET often gets pulled up as the worst game ever, but while it's certainly true, you have to look at that in perspective. Games weren't an industry back then. ET was before my time, but everything points in the direction that large companies regarded video games as a fad, something in the same lines as seventies music and rollerskates. It wasn't until nintendo came along and set some standards on developers in order to even create a game for their console that things improved for the customers. As said, this was before my time, but when I look at some of the games I've played in my youth I'm horrified as to what shit gamers had to endure just to play a game. Which brings me to my next point...

4. standards weren't what they are today

When playing retro games, they are often found to be hard to today's standards (usually as an excuse to use save states to save/load everywhere). This is because console and PC-games started out as arcade games, whose aim is to drain you from as much pennies as possible. It may sound strange now, but it took companies a while to figure out that you don't have to feed coins to a console. Password screens and savegames still had to be invented. Same for ergonomic controllers and responsive movements. Nintendo's role in this isn't to be underestimated. Perhaps not so much as innovative controllers go (I don't want to dish others), but because they at least inspired others, which thus upped the standards as to what gaming is and can do.

Obviously, graphics and sounds weren't what they are today. But while that evolution is pretty obvious to everyone (most of the first 3D games look horrible nowadays), it was never about what capabilities you had but how to use what you had. Nintendo knews this (and still knows this, though they currently lost track of their audience). And the indie developers of today certainly know this: these guys don't just slap some sprites together and call it a game but rather use what they know to chase their vision. And to be honest...slapping sprites together to clone another succesful game was done a lot more in the past than it is today (yes, I'm calling the fact that it's much more expensive to create a game nowadays a plus). Especially if there was a franchise involved.

But it's worse than that. New game+? Not present (okay, okay...Mario land had one. It must've been one of the only games of that generation). Unlimited continues? Some had 'em if you were lucky (if not: buy a game genie). Decent music? There were some classics, but not the majority. Music nowadays isn't always great, but at least it never makes you wish you were deaf. Tutorials? None but the instruction booklet.

Meanwhile, on PC, things weren't much better. I already outlined the need to upgrade practically every time a new actually GOOD game came out, but before windows XP, directX and (later) steam came around, things could get messy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who started searching the 'net looking to pirate games. Not because I was too poor to buy games but because (ironically enough) the antipiracy measurements prevented me to play it. Yes, I'm serious about this. You had to enter serial keys, retail CD's were of a certain material which meant that my CD-reader sometimes refused to read them, some had you look through your manual to look for certain words, and so on, and so on. One of the most strange by-effects is that my friends and me actually learned more English cracking the quiz/adult verification from Leisure suit larry than from school. I should probably thank those devs for that. :P
When steam came around, it was controversial because you had to stay online for the verification. I admittedly didn't start using it right away so I missed the large issues, but even then...things are a breeze now. You pay...you get it. And if you want even less antipiracy, you head over to gog.com.

One more thing about PC gaming was on controls and hardware. FPS'es and RTS'es are still the best games on PC...but playing online (which is why the types are popular) required the best gaming PC (okay, it still does...but now you can at least scale things down so even an average PC isn't TOTALLY crippled) and the best connection. Yes, the latter is still an issue, though today's speed differences aren't as big as 56k vs ADSL.

5. today's developers grew up with games

The least noticeable difference is probably the most influencal. It used to be that games were made by programmers who mimicked board games or threw something together that might be fun. The fact that of all companies nintendo - a company rooted in card games - pushed the industry more than atari says something. And the very least you can say when reading or hearing about indie devs is that they're passionate about gaming. They have an advantage the previous generation of developers didn't have: they grew up playing games. Remember that even kids can quickly distinguish a good game from a bad game (though they can't always pinpoint the why). There are schools teaching about games and plenty of development tools that also become cheaper and more user-friendly pretty much each year. You only have to look at the steam release page to see the result, though this happens on consoles and mobile devices as well.

...and that last thing is one of the most remarkable things since...well...ever. I can use my cell phone or tablet and download a game for nearly free, and have as much fun as in most games I played in my youth. In fact, just yesterday, I heard my girlfriend say her mother bought a tablet specifically for games (her family never used a computer, mind you. A statement that baffles me even more than the tablet-remark). How's that NOT amazing? On the first cellphones, you could play snake on a black-and-white screen. I'm not sure if I should call that retro, as it's only old school on that particular medium.

In any case: I sometimes wonder if others realise just how rich today's day and age is in terms of gaming. Again, I'm not blind for the shadowside to how things are going. Ninty's making a loss and AAA-gaming may someday fail as well. But gaming will certainly survive. It's not like we will ever fall short of games to play (even if we leave out "backups" or emulators). All the complaints and worries are luxury problems. It's like I'm standing in a free candy store and some other kid is worried that he'll get too sick of eating. Or no longer sees what's available because there is some NEW candy going to come that's somehow EVEN BETTER than we have now.

Okay...in conclusion: thanks for reading. Hope this brings you some insights and thoughts. If you have comments or nitpicks (I don't do thorough checks), leave them below. I'd made this a blog post, but it'll get more attention here. And it might make for some interesting commentaries. :)

Last edited by Taleweaver,

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, @Taleweaver! This was a very insightful read; thanks for taking the time to write this. I do agree that gaming has evolved to a new level that many of those thirty years ago would have never foreseen. Putting nostalgia aside, I think people can see that today's gaming has been more accessible in terms of going beyond its target audience. This could have been because video games in general have become increasingly popular over the years, but like you have mentioned, the ability to play quality games on your phone or tablet has been an innovation in itself.

Interestingly, the only thing I partially disagree with is when you mentioned that "a couple months after release date...you'll easily find any game half the price". While this is very true to indie, Xbox, or Playstation titles, I think many can agree that several Nintendo first-party (and even some highly anticipated second-party titles) seldom have their respective prices reduced. For instance, that are some aged DS games in retail stores that are still pricey to this day. It has always been a frustration of mine that Nintendo is apprehensive to cut back the prices of their games, and it has been a continuing trend after many years.

All in all, thank you again for sharing this. It really allowed me to reflect and give more appreciation for today's gaming and cherish its innovation.

Reactions: iamKHEEMchi

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Putting nostalgia aside, I think people can see that today's gaming has been more accessible in terms of going beyond its target audience. This could have been because video games in general have become increasingly popular over the years, but like you have mentioned, the ability to play quality games on your phone or tablet has been an innovation in itself.
Not entirely. Video gaming hasn't so much gotten "popular" over the years as rather it has become a staple thing. A hundred years ago, television and computers didn't exist (at least not in a noticeable form). Saying that they have become more popular isn't exactly doing it justice. It has become so very obvious, available and user friendly over the years that nobody in their right minds would call these things doomed if a computer virus breaks loose or Hollywood makes a bad movie. All the doom and gloom that gamers predict only showcase their own inability to see where the standard is currently at. Gaming (as in: video gaming) won't ever disappear. If for nothing else, it is already too common for everybody to think otherwise.

HaloEffect17 said:
Interestingly, the only thing I partially disagree with is when you mentioned that "a couple months after release date...you'll easily find any game half the price". While this is very true to indie, Xbox, or Playstation titles, I think many can agree that several Nintendo first-party (and even some highly anticipated second-party titles) seldom have their respective prices reduced. For instance, that are some aged DS games in retail stores that are still pricey to this day. It has always been a frustration of mine that Nintendo is apprehensive to cut back the prices of their games, and it has been a continuing trend after many years.
You got me there: I can't but agree with you completely. I could speculate a bit as to why this is the case, but truth be told I don't know for sure (and it's off-topic here). But it's certainly true that most first-party nintendo games just keep their regular price much longer than other games.

HaloEffect17 said:
All in all, thank you again for sharing this. It really allowed me to reflect and give more appreciation for today's gaming and cherish its innovation.
You're welcome. :)

Sabarek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is an old topic but I wish there'd more topics like this.

Gaming in today's age is really great, despite what angry folk on the Internet will try to tell you. Games are very accessible and even if you dislike a certain type of gameplay, difficulty modes can help you to experience the game and its story; all games have a variety of settings which make it easy for disabled people or people with this or another health problem to enjoy them. I remember seeing all the PS2-PS3 games with little to no settings options...
Another good controversial thing is DLC and yeah, I agree it's bad when they cut the content on purpose just to sell it. But when you get more of the game via DLC developed after the release date, that is great because nobody would have made those DLC if that wasn't possible.

Though, of course there are major problems for gaming today... accessibility brought the angry Western crowds who wish to force their agenda into every game and seems like nobody cares about that. Oh well.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It's interesting to see an old thread like this pop back up. It's still somewhat relevant, despite the gap in years since it was made. Since then, Watch_Dogs got a good sequel and the Wii U died :P

PC gaming is getting better and better with each year, bringing more content to the platform, creating the optimal way to experience many games. Those in other countries are also getting games in their native language than before, along with digital storefronts accepting purchases in currencies that aren't just dollar/pound/euro. Microtransactions however, got a lot worse. It's not perfect, but gaming certainly has made some nice changes in the past two decades.

Sabarek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's interesting to see an old thread like this pop back up. It's still somewhat relevant, despite the gap in years since it was made. Since then, Watch_Dogs got a good sequel and the Wii U died :P

PC gaming is getting better and better with each year, bringing more content to the platform, creating the optimal way to experience many games. Those in other countries are also getting games in their native language than before, along with digital storefronts accepting purchases in currencies that aren't just dollar/pound/euro. Microtransactions however, got a lot worse. It's not perfect, but gaming certainly has made some nice changes in the past two decades.
I agree with you, but I have a thing to say about microtransactions.
I don't think it's necessarily bad. Example: I am currently playing Tales of Zestiria and I absolutely hate the combat. The story is amazing and very inspiring with lovely characters that I cannot just abandon, but when there are so many games out there with gameplay that I find to be much more enjoyable than Zestiria could ever be (it's just not my type of gameplay), I don't want to force myself to learn how it works. It's just not something I can enjoy. But there's a microtransaction-like option of buying a speed-run kit which makes the combat end instantly.
Starting a game before I got the speed-up kit was very uncomfortable for me because I knew that I'll have to deal with the combat and I'll get stuck sooner or later. Now that I got the kit, I play the game without worrying and it's just a much smoother experience for me.

Microtransactions in story-heavy games is okay, in my opinion. As long as they are just an option for those who do not wish to learn the gameplay and not a "you can't get this unless you pay", something we saw in AC: Odyssey.

Last edited by Sabarek,

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But there's a microtransaction-like option of buying a speed-run kit which makes the combat end instantly.
Starting a game before I got the speed-up kit was very uncomfortable for me because I knew that I'll have to deal with the combat and I'll get stuck
I am of a dissenting opinion. You like playing the game the way you want to play, and you would not be able to enjoy it as much otherwise. What was enabling this was merely a minor tweak in how the game plays, an "option" if you will. I am a big fan of options that change how games play so as to appeal to a wider audience with varing preferences and I believe such options should be included in the game, not locked behind some arbitrary paywall. You are not paying for extra content, no dlc, no expansion. You are paying simply to not be inconvenienced by arbitrarily set gameplay mechanics that can easily be bypassed (as demonstrated). For example, take a game with different difficulty levels, any game. Would it not make more sense for such difficulty levels to simply be part of the game and not locked behind an arbitrary paywall? Why should I have to pay $5 to make the computer players make more mistakes? Or $5 so I don't have to partake in a monotonous, repetitive mechanic every 5 seconds in my interactive story telling media? It's also too easy to purposefully implement annoying, irritating mechanics just to entice players into paying more money to remove them (*cough* battlefront 2). Unless it is for additional content, and I mean truly additional--not intended to be included in the complete full game--content, I do not believe it should cost money.

Last edited by IncredulousP,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

This Gold Edition/Deluxe Edition/Season Pass crap is the most unneeded part in gaming today for me.:angry:
Paying for about "DLC content to see Leon is sitting in Raccoon City on an toilet" is a modern robber baronry.
And paying for things who make your gaming life better is bollocks.Same game for ALL not easier not catchier.We live in times with this kind of stupid "win - win".Every "clown" who draws a STRAIGHT LINE on a sheet of paper will vowed and is a winner.Fact is NOT EVERY PERSON is a gamer.And thats ok,people.

Or did an mechanic try to cook "Bouef bourguignon ? (ok here in the EU EVERONE can make EVERYTHING......:wacko::wacko:).

On PC i´ll understand you need patches/updates because of the "rush" in gameprogramming/developing/short hardwarecycles AND IMPATIENT Customers.

But why on CONSOLES ? XBOX is an XBOX/PlayStation is an PlayStation.And why i must pay for each game addon seperatly ?

Good old SNES/PSX etc. days,no DLCs/no Patches NO FURTHER charges.And yes the games still makes fun or why are the people today so wicked about emulators on every new console which comes out ? :unsure:

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Heh...it's kind of fun how this thread of mine is brought back from oblivion...and now viewed so much that I gain more experience here. IIRC, 'forum xp' wasn't a thing 3.5 years ago. :P

Of course there's a new video generation out there, but since this thread talked about the past, that hasn't lost much relevance (can't change the past, right? :) ). Since then, I became more hooked on mobile games and board games (both virtual and actual). I've done a somewhat similar thread/blog post about the former and some on the latter as well (more links).

Gaming in today's age is really great, despite what angry folk on the Internet will try to tell you. .
Here's the thing: you don't have to listen to angry folk. You probably won't convince them to begin with, but if you spend too much time with them they'll drag you down. Really: I still see people flat out denying great games existing "because they aren't from an AAA studio".

I don't think it's necessarily bad. Example: I am currently playing Tales of Zestiria and I absolutely hate the combat. The story is amazing and very inspiring with lovely characters that I cannot just abandon, but when there are so many games out there with gameplay that I find to be much more enjoyable than Zestiria could ever be (it's just not my type of gameplay), I don't want to force myself to learn how it works. It's just not something I can enjoy. But there's a microtransaction-like option of buying a speed-run kit which makes the combat end instantly.
that's an interesting viewpoint. My own opinion is more in the lines of what @IncredulousP wrote. If I hated combat, I would play another game. I wouldn't even try it without the combat, let alone pay for it to have it removed (so...you're basically paying for a 'tourist mode'? :unsure:). But indeed: if it's a one time payment(1) and if the game + the one microtransaction is worth the money for you, then by all means: enjoy! :D

(1): I think @Chary isn't so much against 'paying a small amount extra' by itself, but by the way some (many?) developers eroding their own games. Options that barely require any coding, entire garderobes sold for real money and (especially) recurring payments that are more meant to give the players a "gambler's high" rather than actual gameplay.

@alexander1970 : erm...thanks for your opinion, but I honestly don't see why you posted it here. From what I can tell, it neither goes into (or against) what was written in the OP or the recent discussion. I mean...yes, it's a good example of how "angry folk" (as @Sabarek wrote earlier) act, but...your opinion isn't mine.

Sabarek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh...it's kind of fun how this thread of mine is brought back from oblivion...and now viewed so much that I gain more experience here. IIRC, 'forum xp' wasn't a thing 3.5 years ago. :P

Of course there's a new video generation out there, but since this thread talked about the past, that hasn't lost much relevance (can't change the past, right? :) ). Since then, I became more hooked on mobile games and board games (both virtual and actual). I've done a somewhat similar thread/blog post about the former and some on the latter as well (more links).

Here's the thing: you don't have to listen to angry folk. You probably won't convince them to begin with, but if you spend too much time with them they'll drag you down. Really: I still see people flat out denying great games existing "because they aren't from an AAA studio".

that's an interesting viewpoint. My own opinion is more in the lines of what @IncredulousP wrote. If I hated combat, I would play another game. I wouldn't even try it without the combat, let alone pay for it to have it removed (so...you're basically paying for a 'tourist mode'? :unsure:). But indeed: if it's a one time payment(1) and if the game + the one microtransaction is worth the money for you, then by all means: enjoy! :D

(1): I think @Chary isn't so much against 'paying a small amount extra' by itself, but by the way some (many?) developers eroding their own games. Options that barely require any coding, entire garderobes sold for real money and (especially) recurring payments that are more meant to give the players a "gambler's high" rather than actual gameplay.

@alexander1970 : erm...thanks for your opinion, but I honestly don't see why you posted it here. From what I can tell, it neither goes into (or against) what was written in the OP or the recent discussion. I mean...yes, it's a good example of how "angry folk" (as @Sabarek wrote earlier) act, but...your opinion isn't mine.
But that's the thing. Most vocal gamers are this way. You can't really go to any social Internet place, all there is just "game A is trash" the moment it comes out. Even if you go into fandoms where you'd expect people to be nicer, they still go on with their hate. This is a much bigger issue, of course and I think it's safe to say that it's mostly caused by the amount of freedom of speech that we have and just the way our time and culture is... but I am not going to accept that. Vocal hateful people make it look like there's more of them.
Problem is: that's me. I cut my ties with most Internet places and occasionally check forum boards if I need to take a break or help with the game . But the rest, people who do need socializing, they'll keep suffering from all the anger on the Internet and like you said, they will be corrupted as well. Not everyone can just stop being social on the Internet and some can't find people to talk to in real life... all the time there's someone who, like you said, spends too much time with that hate and becomes one of them.

I noticed this interesting little thing... there's a game in one of the very popular series. The game is hated literally by everyone on the Internet and I am yet to see someone who truly likes it. And it has a sequel which is the same level of quality but a different story. The sequel is more appealing to people, but essentially both games are incredible - they just have a different audience.
Well, my point is I accidentally checked out the amount of likes and positive reviews this game that is hated on the Internet has on Steam and other platforms - it was 10x more likes than the game which is supposedly "not trash", as they say. It just made me realize that there are a whole lot more people who do appreciate games without hating them, it's just that Internet keeps having these weird fetishes of ultra-cool bearded critics and you have every person who doesn't want to play the game say "it's trash" for all the world to see.

And yeah, about AAA games... it's just issue of pop-culture. Most people see all of art as something that has this expiration date sticker. Once a month or two passes, it becomes expired and there's no need to remember it again. I'd say that this one is easy to understand because a lot of people are into gaming / anime / movies just to kill time. It's not their hobby and they think they can shame others for being devoted to their interests, call them "nerds", "otaku", "weeb" - whatever new word they'll come up with. Equality and tolerance, right?

Last edited by Sabarek,
Reactions: Alexander1970

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
As a preservationist I dislike that games are no longer one file and that features of games disappear once servers go offline. Wiimmfi has done an amazing job, but even they could not get some games (I will never be able to walk through the MP maps of CoD World at War for example; doing a few last rounds before the shutdown made me very sad).

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Todays gaming is great. I love buying $60 betas and spending money on extra content that was supposed to be in the game to begin with. The best thing i find about todays gaming is when your spend money on a game and the server close after 3 years. Thats so much better then having a physical copy of a game i can play for 30 years.

Reactions: r5xscn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo