RanmaFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If everything you said was applied to the Gamestops in my area (7 stores), the only thing that WOULDN'T be a lie is SOME of the statements about pricing. Yes, the Classic Collection was overpriced, but when people came to the store to buy it I told people to go get it elsewhere until our price dropped. The games being $19.99 new and used is a non-statement, as you would have to be incredibly lucky to walk into one of the stores and find a new copy anyways. It's been out of stock for about 6 months. Haven't seen a Used one in about 5, either.

And BTW it's $5 for the discount card, so after $50 in used purchases you start saving. Most gamers spend a LOT more than $50 on games in a year. Just saying.

I understand that there are a lot of horror stories about people shopping at Gamestop, but there are also lots for other stores as well. My main issue with this, and what I am seeing from the replies thus far, is that the company isn't very reputable in the United States. I apologize for calling you a liar, but some of the things you were saying ARE lies when taking ALL the stores (Canada Included) into account. It seems we do things differently here in Canada. Go ahead and bash US Gamestops, but don't just bash the company as a whole when policies are different in different countries.

Once again, sorry about the "liar" remark, but context seems to be important on this issue. Apparently VERY important. Doesn't help that I was already pissed off at something else when I wrote that post.

@Old8oy - Personally, our employees have to abide by Street Dates. I couldn't even crack open my OoT for 3DS when I was on break. I had to wait and buy my copy on Sunday when it came out. And I know about the new release games because I buy a lot of them. I have 6 games pre-ordered for next month alone.

RanmaFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Old8oy said:
the discount card is $15 here...

Oh. That is shitty.... I take back what I said about the discount card then. $15 is only good for people who spend a lot on games. My card saved me $44 since March though, so it'd still be worth it for me.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
From my point of view is :
GameStop in US = Shitty
GameStop in Canada = Good
GameStop in Europe = Good
GameStop elsewhere = Somewhere

So its pretty much stupid to argue each other when one is from Canada and the other from US. They have their own way of doing things.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a resident of the US, I agree with Rayder that Gamestop is pure garbage. I've had countless bad experiences with them and have found better luck with Ebay and other local stores like Best Buy.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best Buy has been pretty good for games. There are also a few decent locally owned game stores in my area but I tend to only get "retro" stuff from them as the newer games are all pre-owned. they have buy 2 get 1 free deals on all games at one shop in town.

RanmaFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DarkStriker said:
From my point of view is :
GameStop in US = Shitty
GameStop in Canada = Good
GameStop in Europe = Good
GameStop elsewhere = Somewhere

So its pretty much stupid to argue each other when one is from Canada and the other from US. They have their own way of doing things.

I'll agree with you on that point. My ranting gets started whenever I see just plain Gamestop bashing, as most places on the internet are visited by people around the world, and just bashing the company as a whole is EASIER for most people, but it would be nice for people to specify.

For instance, I could EASILY go on a multi-page bashing of Microplay, but it's only the store in my area that is incompetent. I brought in my Gamecube to get fixed about 4 years ago, and when I checked back a week later, they said they never took a system from me. When I showed them a receipt ( Which had the serial number on it AND THE GUY'S SIGNATURE), the guy still denied it. Haven't walked in there since. But not all Microplays suck. I'm not going to make a generalized statement like that.

@Tonitonichopchop - I'm assuming you mean Gamestop US.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sad thing in the U.S. is that since gamecrazy went belly up, gamestop has no real competition. The overpricing thing is absolutely true here. I went in to ask about a used 3DS and the guy told me they are $159 used. Call and ask them what they pay for them used, heh. Maybe $60? They have always had new games priced $5 more than anywhere else and I have seen them price a highly anticipated game for $10 more. The used games are always way overpriced. To the idiot that said they sell a used copy of a fairly new game for more because it's fairly new, used is used. Selling a used game for everyone else's new game price is still wrong. While gamecrazy was still in business, I would wait for a game to be restocked there rather than go to a gamestop. Oh and as far as pre-ordering from them, NEVER! I pre-ordered "Steel Batallion" (I know that was a long time ago) and was told they would have it for me in 2 weeks on release. 2 weeks later they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. The guy at the counter swore up and down that there was no record of me paying in full at the time of pre-order. Good thing I always keep the receipt when I order games.

Because of a lack of competition, they can pay whatever they want for your traded in games. All I can say is, everyone upset at gamestop should have supported gamecrazy and kept them in business. If you have a small game store that treats you well, support them and keep them alive. That is the only way to fight a corporate entity like gamestop. By the way, I went looking elsewhere for my copy of "Steel Batallion". After telling the manager of my local gamecrazy about what happened with my pre-order at gamestop, She called around and found a copy at another, more rural, gamecrazy. She didn't tell me to go halfway across the world to go pick it up though. She actually drove over there the next morning before opening her store and picked it up for me. It was at that point that I decided I would never shop at a gamestop if I could help it. I very rarely use the word hate. But I hate gamestop with a passion!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameStop is pretty shitty.

Their used prices are pretty laughable compared to Amazon. Random comparison:

Portal 2 for Xbox 360 (Gamestop, used) :$35 + shipping

Portal 2 for Xbox 360 (Amazon, used): $20 + shipping (free shipping for orders with Super Saver Shipping over $25)

I guess being able to drive to the store and pick it up is a plus but the service in-store is crap. They hired the most unfriendly, antisocial gaming douchebags they could find and OCCASIONALLY a marginally attractive chick just so mouth-breathing nerds can see her through the window and enter just to stare down her shirt. Either way the people there are often apathetic and uninterested about your job, unless you bring up the ONE interest they have, in which case you'll be locked into a long and pointless conversation/rant on that topic. You like WoW? WELL HERE'S HOW I FEEL ABOUT SLAYING WEREWOLVES.

I always find their selection lacking too and their only saving grace is the rare good sale (most recent one in memory was the James Bond sale where new copies of Goldeneye Wii and Blood Stone were $10 each). But that's quite rare.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder is right about some stuff. I remember when I wanted to buy Mario Party DS when it just got released, GameStop was selling it for $35 while Best Buy was selling for $30. Another thing I recently bought Grand Theft Auto IV from my local Gamestop for $18 not knowing they sold the new ones for $20 since when I asked them they told me it was out of stock. Oh they only had the GTA 4 game also no cases or manuals...

Another thing I recently wanted to buy a PS3 last week and went to my GameStop and I asked let me buy the 250GB refurbished PS3 for $200, and they told me they only sold it for $250... They told me that they didn't sell the sony refurbished one but they GameStop refurbished one which costed $250. So I had to go to a different gamestop which had the Sony refurbished one.

But I do remember when I scammed Gamestop. I found a broken Memory card for the PS2 a long time ago on the floor. I went to Gamestop and sold that memory card and they gave me $8 store credit for it.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one have never had a problem with my local Gamestop. I rate them a 10 everytime I go in. People who are idiots and try to argue with them are taken care of patiently and quickly. They keep the store in great condition and smelling nice. I have honestly only seen the staff there angry once, and the customer instigated it. People are retards, and will find any sort of thing to hold against the store.

They always hand me seal copies, and will suggest used if they have them. I honestly prefer used when all the new copies are either gone, or if I dislike the developer (*Cough* Activision *Cough*). I can also confirm that the Gamestop employees don't get any more benefits than the customer. Unless there was something against company policy going on, all employees are required to wait until release date, or until the company gives the okay to bust a few copies out for the boys. Besides, people who play games early have a tendancy to get in truble with Microsoft.
smile.gif

I don't like the hate Gamestop gets either, but some of it is indeed true. Other stuff is pure bullshit.

techforumz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to add that with a couple exceptions i've always been very impressed with my local gamestop. Granted they don't always have the best games or selection, but they were perfectly ok with me "returning" a copy of burnout for another one that came with a manual and artwork (my fault for not looking). They also returned the broken ps2 with no questions asked. Gamestop.com or gamestop in general I'd have to say sucks though. It doesn't hurt that i know half the people working there personally
tongue.gif
I'd also like to add that I do research my options and often buy elsewhere, and I've found they have some good deals (they devalue older games ALOT) you just have to look. I have to be saying I won't be buying anything online anymore though.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thesolcity said:
None of the Gamestops/Walmarts around here had Devil survivor: Overclocked.
dry.gif

Blame Atlus.
Pretty much only gamestop/ebgames got stock, and several stores said they got maybe 3-5 copies, and some of those were for pre-orders.
Tis why I ordered my copy from Amazon.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I received a copy of ES IV: Oblivion as a gift, but I wanted the GOTY version so I went to Gamestop to trade my non-GOTY version for a GOTY version. Unfortunately I made the mistake of opening my copy before trading. Even though I only played it once and all of the contents were intact, they bought it from me for only $3.85 worth of store credit. They had only one "new" copy of GOTY but it was already opened. I asked them why it was unsealed and they said it was because they used it for the display case. I shrugged my shoulders and said "sure, I'll take it" because they assured me it was new. So the guy went to get the game, stuck it in the empty case and sold it to me unsealed at the "new" price.

I got to my car and before driving away, I sat there in the parking lot and opened the case just to check the contents. I noticed that it was missing the map. I knew it was supposed to come with a map because my non-GOTY version had one. I went back into the store to inquire about the map, and the guy seemed very apologetic about it. He looked all over the store for it, but couldn't find the map that was supposed to be in the case. So I asked if I could have my map that was in the non-GOTY game that I had just traded in. He was hesitant to give it to me, but then I reminded him that I had just paid the full price for a "new" game, so he should give me the map. I also pointed out that they were going to sell my copy "used" anyway and it doesn't make a difference to them if it's missing the manual or if the contents are intact--they would still sell it for the same price regardless. So he relented and gave my map back to me. I found out later that the GOTY map contains an extra inset for the Shivering Isles, which was missing from my map.

The truth is, I never look at those maps that come with RPGs. I never have, so why should I even care? It's because I sold a pristine copy of the non-GOTY Oblivion for chump change and paid full price ($29.99 plus tax) for an unsealed, "new" Oblivion GOTY edition that didn't even come with the complete case contents. I even had to argue just to get my map back. If I buy something brand-new, I expect everything that came sealed in the case to be included. In retrospect I wish I had just given my original copy to a friend and bought the GOTY edition elsewhere.

In a separate incident, several years ago when I was still living in Japan I went back home to California over the winter break to be with my family during Christmas. While I was there, some of my American friends who were also living in Japan requested for me to bring back some American goodies that they couldn't get in Japan. One of those friends asked me to buy Mario Power Tennis for the GameCube (since his GameCube was brought over from the US and he hadn't modded it to play Japanese games). He wanted it used, so I went to Gamestop (a different store from the one above) and they were charging $49.99 plus tax for a used copy. It didn't have the original case; it was just a generic, plain white case with a piece of paper that was printed from an inkjet that had the GameStop logo and the title of the game. It had no instruction manual, and the disc had some light scratches on it and what looked like a small blob of hardened superglue stuck to the label side. I asked if they had any better-looking copies and they said it was their only one and assured me that it was "100% playable." I told them "no thanks" and went to Best Buy to buy it brand-new for my friend. The cost for a sealed copy at Best Buy? $49.99--the same as the used, shitty copy they were trying to pawn off to me at Gamestop.

I have a few other negative experiences with Gamestop (all at different US locations), but those stories are much longer and I don't really have time to write them out now. I don't care how great Gamestop is in Canada; unfortunately I live in the US. I buy ALL of my games from Best Buy or Amazon (free Amazon Prime for a year since I'm a student).

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just remembered how I bought NBA 2k9 for PS3 used, and when i came home I opened up the case and the 360 version was in there. Had to go back to GameStop and had to argue how I didn't switch the game.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jakob95 said:
I just remembered how I bought NBA 2k9 for PS3 used, and when i came home I opened up the case and the 360 version was in there. Had to go back to GameStop and had to argue how I didn't switch the game.

I've never had a problem, but regardless I check any used game I buy before I walk out of the store. If there's an apparent problem it'd be a lot easier to resolve right there.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hells Malice said:
Thesolcity said:
None of the Gamestops/Walmarts around here had Devil survivor: Overclocked.
dry.gif

Blame Atlus.
Pretty much only gamestop/ebgames got stock, and several stores said they got maybe 3-5 copies, and some of those were for pre-orders.
Tis why I ordered my copy from Amazon.
No, blame Gamestop.
They don't order because they don't think it will sell well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)