GameStop Now Selling "Retro" Games and Consoles

gamestop.png

Yep, you read that right, GameStop is now offering retro games and systems, both available in stores and online! At the moment, they have NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Genesis and even Dreamcast games up for sale, and at this time they also have PS1, SNES, and Genesis consoles up for sale as well, each under or about $40-$50.

You can find controllers and memory cards as well (though at this time some are either sold out or aren't available online), and the games range from popular titles such as Final Fantasy, all sorts of Mario games, Hey You! Pikachu with Microphone (so tempting to buy!), Spyro games, Crash Bandicoot games and much more, and their prices aren't even that bad, either! Most either match or are slightly above average eBay prices, making some of these purchases a real steal.

You can check out the retro stuff they offer in the source link below.

I ended up buying some PS1 games, to add on to my collection, and I imagine I'll be spending some more of my money on other retro games as well in the upcoming months!

:arrow:Store Page
:arrow:Source

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the prices are laughable. Others.....well.....

If the games came complete, then yes. But seeing how sometimes they can't even sell "new" games complete, I highly doubt these would be.

Plus, 20 bucks for the Adventures of Bayou Billy? Please, Gamestop, share what you're smoking.

Reactions: kehkou

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I had pondered the same thing. I have to wonder if the nostalgia will temper the sales volume, and whether hardware based emulation will be a thing by this point. There are what 50 NES games that sold over a million worldwide, a million is not that much for a single region any more.

That said I am reliving the car boots that raulpica was on about with the PS360 right now. GTA5 on the 360 for £2 the other day.

I am surprised the N64 is rated so highly, at least in North America, though.

Now that's an awesome deal I'd love to get myself!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now that's an awesome deal I'd love to get myself!

That was one of the better ones, though I did pick up skate 2 and skate 3 for £2 each too a couple of weeks prior.

You right about that ...because it will be a closing down sale!!!! ...in 10 years time there will be no GameStop, EB Games, or GAME ...because everything available for your home video game console will only be available as a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD, and to follow that ...the crash of the Video Games market!!!!

How does downloadable games mean a crash?

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
All this talk about retro games makes me wonder what the market for PS3/Wii/360 games will be like in 20 years time? Buy now, hoard and sell them on later? I'm sure people will either go, "OH WOW, I REMEMBER THAT GAME" or, "That game sucks and you want $40+ because it's old? Hahahanope."

I personally think it's because there's a boom in retro games because of the whole, "hey, 80's are cool". I think prices will eventually settle which is why I tend to buy the retro games that I really want to play and not, "I MUST HAVE THIS SHITTY LICENSED NES GAME BECAUSE IT'S OLD".

Heh, I would assume that if you bought a bunch of current games now for $60 bucks each you would not make that money back 20 years later (even if you disregard inflation which will make 60 bucks be just enough to buy you a Snickers bar in 2035 ;)). Limited production runs doesn't even happen anymore, do they?

The time to hoard is when a system is just being replaced by a newer one.

I don't think prices will settle. I don't know of any format where that has happened. Then again I haven't kept a close eye to what has been going on in video game collecting. Has Atari 2600 games been more expensive in the second hand market in the past than they are now? Was there a peak when Neo Geo games were even more expensive than now? My guess is no, but I don't know.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I do like the idea that they're opening up to retro games, some of those games are poorly priced, but still helluva lot better than paying some random price-gouging twit who sells a sealed copy of Earthbound for $1000 :P

The other problem is the games that use backup batteries; either they replaced them or you have to replace them yourself. Joy.

D

Deleted User

Things like this make me want to move to America.

A lot of those games are cheaper than on ebay btw

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, guys, a lot of these prices are actually on point for average market cost, or actually a bit below average market cost. The most obscenely priced games I've seen haven't even been available, well anywhere at a Gamestop near me or online. If you have a local place that undervalues retro content, that's good for you, but a lot of people don't have a game shop that deals in retro games near them. Or they're like me and have one near them, but the shop puts ridiculous price tags on anything that ranks above super duper common shovelware.

D

Deleted User

Seems to me they're mostly priced on popularity. There were a few decent deals, those N64 controlers are actually very cheap, but come on $30 for Contra is insane. At least its better than those stores that price their games based on the first listing they see on ebay.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How does Gamestop get their retro stock? They would have to offer a fair deal on trade in prices and not, "I'll give you $5 for that Symphony of the Night game because it's a PSone game". They would have to rely on the customers who don't take the time to check what they have and assume that a Chrono Trigger cart has the same value as a sports game. So basically, they can either have cheap, unwanted games for sale or desirable but highly marked up games. Either way, it's a vast difference from 10 years ago when asking I asked a gaming store if they'll buy my boxed Pokemon Red game and they said, "no, we don't want them". So glad I didn't sell.

You realize most people who trade in either don't care about the real value, or really don't have any idea what it's worth?
That's why it works so well. Most kids don't care, hell I never used to. I'd bring a stack of games with me just to get a cheaper price on a new game.
I was actually really tempted (and still am) to put an ad in the newspaper to buy retro games because i'm quite certain i'd make a killing off of peoples ignorance.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You realize most people who trade in either don't care about the real value, or really don't have any idea what it's worth?
That's why it works so well. Most kids don't care, hell I never used to. I'd bring a stack of games with me just to get a cheaper price on a new game.
I was actually really tempted (and still am) to put an ad in the newspaper to buy retro games because i'm quite certain i'd make a killing off of peoples ignorance.

You might hit the few people left that still read the newspaper and not a lot else which also have games to sell, however lurk on local facebook selling groups, craigslist/gumtree, watch stuff like https://www.youtube.com/user/BitHead1000/videos https://www.youtube.com/user/MikeGartner and other similar channels. In most places populous enough to have decent concentrations of games you will find those that actively seek things out.

Solid One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ten bucks for an original genesis controller? Interesting.

Will they send for non-USA countries, such as Brazil?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't waste time with Gamestop. Just buy flashcarts for N64, NES, Genesis, etc. and be done with it.
1 step ahead of you. Got a n64 flashcart and looking to get a nes,snes and genesis flashcart. I would like to own as many original carts as i can but with the prices of the games these days it is cheaper in the long run to get flashcarts. :)

Reactions: assassinz

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so you mean like how every gamestop basically abandoned the dreamcast <em>not even 24 hours</em> after Sega's announcement to exit the hardware market, when there were still new games coming down the pipe, and <em>now</em> they think they can sell 'em again?
"Sh'yea, and pigs might fly outta my butt!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)