Hardware Games that play completely differently on the go and on the dock?

Earth97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pointless: the Switch was created following the principle that players should always be able to play their games, both at home and on the go. You can't force them to wait getting back home to complete a task that requires the docking station.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing games on the go and at home doesn't mean they can't be a different ways to play and different experiences. Features like a touchscreen and Streetpass will probably be there. Thinking like that is so limiting.

A game could look completely different between portable and dock mode. Dragon Quest 11 for example, has 3 different art styles between the 3DS and PS4.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think Nintendo's focus with the Switch is mostly to get back to traditional gaming. IE just being able to play the same Dark Souls game or Mario game on the big screen or the little screen, no real difference between modes. As KingVamp said, you might get some games that make use of touch controls, but it's not likely to be a majority.

Last edited by Xzi,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be against this idea as long as it's implemented well. I'm thinking about Bayonetta's touch mode on Wii U. I actually wished more Wii U games had multiple controller options along with a touch only option to allow touch gamers to make the transition to more traditional IPs. A good example would be my wife and Bayonetta. She normally doesnt play action heavy games but Bayonetta's touch mode was so accessable to her that she actually managed to play through a few levels without frustration. This should be Nintendo's current focus. Making those non or smart device gamers into Nintendo gamers.

Last edited by LightyKD,
Reactions: Yil

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't think it'll happen. Certainly not with first party games. I think games will be identical in portable and handheld mode. Except for some graphical downgrading when handheld.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pokemon go when you're out of the docking station. Plug it in and you've got a regular pokemon game.

Okay...I admit I thought up this thing in a sarcastic mood, but it makes more sense than the same old "better graphics when plugged in". If not for anything else, it's because the nintendo audience never cared for graphics (no, this isn't sarcastic either).

What you've got to think about is that gaming on the go is different than at home. Games should reflect that. Of course the majority of games won't do much with it aside perhaps build in more save points, but it's best to take a look at their strenghts and weaknesses:

Cradled:
+infinite playtime (no discharging battery)
+less disturbances
+being able to play longer
-not much use in using spotpass or GPS stuff

On the go:
-limited battery life -> not convenient to expect longer or graphic heavy stuff (it'll rapidly drain the battery)
-limited expected game time (there's a reason mobile apps are short: people tend to have just a few minutes to spare)
-more environment noises -> games shouldn't rely on audio feedback (unless it's the main mechanic)
+more likely to link up with other switches -> local multi-screen multiplayer (aka: quick LAN setup)
+ability to use spotpass, streetview and similar stuff?
+also more mobility outside the TV -> off-tv play or around the house

Note that I don't know more than others when it comes to this thing. But unlike the wiiu, nintendo has built this thing in a world where tablets are common goods. They know that their audience is used to browsing stuff on the go. Knowing nintendo they'll probably won't go all the way (meaning: put android on the thing), but my guess is that most games will have at least a bit of "mobile mode". Think animal crossing or harvest moon, where things are set to happen in real time, so the audience will have an excuse to check their growing crops/houses on the go (probably also having an option to actually PLAY these games, but mostly a way to quickly add things without loading the entire world). Or a "switch fit" game where the switch monitors your calory intake while the actual games and exercises are meant to be played in your living room*.

*I...don't want to envision a world where people just go around yoga-ing or doing sit-ups in public just because their game console tells them they haven't burned enough fat. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.