Gamers Can Read #2

gbatemp_gamers_can_read.jpg

In this issue of Gamers Can Read, we’ll take a look at The State of Play: Creators and Critics on Video Game Culture which consists of a collection of essays from 16 prominent figures in the video game world. It was released in October 2015, edited by Daniel Goldberg and Linus Larsson and published by Seven Stories Press, who I’ll have to thank for making this review possible.

rsz_stateofplay_coverfront_1.jpg

The State of Play starts off with an introduction by the editors who point to post-escapism in video games, how video game critics shifted from being graphics/mechanic focused to commenting on the deeper, more thought-provoking aspects that video games nowadays address and also the backlash against the progressive maturation of video game culture that we’ve witnessed. From there, Goldberg and Larsson set the scene of what will be discussed by the contributors.

Each contributor develops on an aspect pertaining to video game that they deem worthy of discussion. However, there is no specific unifying theme that binds each successive chapter. At best it feels like a logical flow of ideas around related topics with different approaches but at worst it gives the impression of a disorganised collection of writings that bear the word video games as the only common feature. Nevertheless, all chapters share the same goal, the one stated in the very title of the book and each contributor does a good job at that.

The book embraces the different writing styles of each contributor, from Anna Anthropy’s interesting "Choose Your Own Adventure" style to cheeky letters between Cara Ellison and Brendan Keogh. It makes a captivating read as each contributor shares their own experiences with video games, be it how they grew up with them, how they helped shape their career or allowed them to express themselves.The first two chapters give an insight as to how video games impact contemporary literature. Leigh Alexander’s Advent chapter gives an insight as to how biographies and narrative books will inevitably include gaming material with personal and intimate accounts about the of role video games in someone’s childhood and memories. Then there’s Ian Shanahan’s anecdotal piece, Bow n****, that sprouted the New Games Journalism writing style which is the norm today in video game journalism. Zoe Quinn’s input, written in the second person, aims to put the reader in her position as she shares how making Depression Quest allowed her to express herself, pass on her feelings and at the same time educate others about a serious condition like depression. In so doing, she showed that games can be informative and do not necessarily have to be fun. merritt kopas depicts games as a way to bring queer sexual content to the foreground, make it less taboo, more acceptable in our so-called modern age. Such articles allow the reader to see how video games have and will influence popular culture and vice versa.

However, to most people who are in touch with video game culture, some of the articles might sound all too familiar. In particular the Gamergate controversy expanded by four of the contributors. Most of us are already familiar with Zoe Quinn's and Anita Sarkeesian's ordeal in that matter and the origin of the ensuing controversy as depicted by Dan Golding. These articles nevertheless serve as a reminder that the gaming community as a whole has yet to fully mature if part of the community fails to accept and adapt to change in the field as it broadens every year. As Sarkeesian and Cross put it: “If gaming can change the world, it will do so as a sort of moral playground for relearning how to be human in a virtual universe."

Some contributors also touch on aspects that many of us fail to notice or do not give a second thought about. Evan Narcisse points out to the lack of proper representation of black people in video games either aesthetically, as he illustrates with the natural hairstyle, or in respect to their character. For long, games with black protagonists or companions “have relied on tropes and stereotypes that are embarrassingly retrograde.” He further adds that “one of those shortcomings (of video games) is the lack of the diversity of the people who are making and are portrayed in video games.” However he concedes that there has been progress as of late, with great examples being Assassin’s Creed and The Walking Dead that tackle the issue of stereotypes and puts the player in charge of a black protagonist. As Evan puts it: “(The characters) are black but not centered by any definition of blackness.” Continuing on stereotypes in video games, Hussein Ibrahim discusses about the depiction of the typical Middle Eastern terrorist from the point of view of someone from that region and what video games portray incorrectly about the culture and why it is wrong for the player. An important conclusion that can be made from these two articles alone is that if video games are to represent creative art, there is still room for growth; there is a need to portray color not only as race, more of an aesthetic feature and allow the players to make their own conclusions. As for David Johnston, the creator of two of the most played online maps (de_dust and de_dust2), he gives first-hand account on level design, its inspirations and importance. His essay really puts in light the minutiae of video game design that many take for granted but which are explicitly introduced by level designers for a purpose. Those inputs by the contributors make the book all the more captivating and strengthens the notion that there is a lot more to video games than meets the eye.

There’s a lot going on in video games right now. It’s more than just a hobby and far from being a ‘waste of time’. As gamers we know this all too well. This book emphasises this point. A lot of what is found in the book has already been discussed online or is obvious to gamers. However it might not be the case for people not in touch with video game culture. For the latter, The State of Play makes a good introduction to where video games stand today. However, with the plethora of experts within the video game community it boasts, more would be expected and more could be delivered.

This is Gamers Can Read a column where we review non-fiction video game related books with the aim to familiarise the gaming community here at GBAtemp.net to such literature. Feel free to share your views on the review and the books in the comments.

Previous entries:

Gamers Can Read #1

Reactions: chavosaur

Sirius64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can people stop accusing Zoe Quinn of crud she didn't do, Grayson never reviewed her game. Also stop generalising, she didn't "sleep with editors", she slept with one guy
Nope, no review. But he did give the game glowing praise.

GG is less about "stopping corruption in the gaming industry" and is more about shaming women out of the field. It's appalling.
I'm sure you have a bevy of examples of this, and aren't simply talking out of your ass.

Also, "feminist bullcrap" isn't a thing, and I'm beyond disappointed that there are still people who think men are inherently better than women
Two unrelated statements, one of them nonsense.

also to pre-but your likely response of "actually I'm an egalitarian/believe in equality/anything to that effect", that's literally what feminism is, and you've rejected it. probably because the movement is dominated by women (go figure) (also thats messed up on several levels)
Aren't strawmen fun?
Unfortunately for the feminist movement, there are a growing number of people who have begun to judge it for what it is and what it does, rather than what its followers claim it to be.

Sirius64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Concerning Zoe Quinn and Grayson @Sirius64 and @Lucifer666 this could be insightful.
As much insightful as an editor covering his publication's ass can be.

Of course, he's also only talking about Grayson's writing on Kotaku. On RockPaperShotgun, however, Grayson featured Depression Quest as the image for the headline of a news post, calling the game a "darling".
It's pretty cut-and-dry stuff, here.

In more recent news and somewhat related, still concerning Zoe Quinn.
How, saintly, how generous, of dear Quinn drop her baseless case against Gjoni after getting him slapped with a gag order which deprived him of his right to speech for nearly two years.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As much insightful as an editor covering his publication's ass can be.

Of course, he's also only talking about Grayson's writing on Kotaku. On RockPaperShotgun, however, Grayson featured Depression Quest as the image for the headline of a news post, calling the game a "darling".
It's pretty cut-and-dry stuff, here.

OK but let's be real here – who cares

One mediocre game being overrated is a pretty unprofessional slip given what are perceived to be the circumstances behind it, but it doesn't warrant aggressive movements, there's more than meets the eye about what GG claims to be, and it's not a good thing either. I'm willing to bet the outrage was f***-tupled because Quinn is a woman. (See: harassment @ Brianna Wu)

EDIT:

Unfortunately for the feminist movement, there are a growing number of people who have begun to judge it for what it is and what it does, rather than what its followers claim it to be.

Oh? And what's that

Also you said it yourself, Grayson didn't even review it. Why are people making such a big fuss

Last edited by Lucifer666,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @BigOnYa are you on OnlyFans?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He gets his ramming funds from onlyfans
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea but my total income is negative, lol
    I would pay for watching someone eat food from the floor.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, stop spending the videos' budget on food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I've never even been to the site(honestly) but have heard of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm half way at my savings for a new move
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like a karate move? The flying dragon is cool.
    @BigOnYa if you've never been to the site how do you know about its contents?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Can he do a shoryuken?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, cuz of people mentioning it everywhere
    +1
    Someone here introduced me to it. Not gonna say who.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everybody knows what that site about, and you can't read normal news anymore without hearing about it
    But it's degrading and disgusting.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, was it Juan?
    Juan who?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its just seductive pics right? I mean they don't show nudity, do they?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, you know who is juan
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    isn't onlyfans just another creepy site of fake AI generated ''women''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there