Gaming Gamecube with Family Edition Wii?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Long answer short: Use Nintendont. It can read GameCube games from disc or ISO format regardless of your Wii model. (How do you think people got GameCube games running on the Wii U?) For a controller, you can use the Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro to my understanding. Due to the Wii Family Edition not having Memory Card ports, you'll be forced to simulate a Memory Card using Nintendont, but if you're fine with that, then you should be good to go!

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Long answer short: Use Nintendont. It can read GameCube games from disc or ISO format regardless of your Wii model. (How do you think people got GameCube games running on the Wii U?) For a controller, you can use the Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro to my understanding. Due to the Wii Family Edition not having Memory Card ports, you'll be forced to simulate a Memory Card using Nintendont, but if you're fine with that, then you should be good to go!
hey nintendont can read or emulate GC games from dvd.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
because you buy a wii edition 2012, no GC ports. and you cannot play gc games because your wii dosent have a GC player chip. but maybe you can try to use nintendont

It's not me who you'd say so...

Actually you didn't read my comment, did you?

X_X

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U drives do NOT accept GC discs. Neither do the Family Edition Wiis. The drives don't have the hardware to center the discs.

If you want to back up GC discs to play them on a Wii U or FE you have to do it on a Gamecube or older Wii.

SWATlozar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I had a Family Edition Wii (I forgot the exact model, it was the one black one released alongside Mario Kart Wii and the Wii Wheel) before buying a regular, old one. It does NOT accept GC discs, unfortunately. I never tried to mess with it since it wasn't really a big issue. Since Wii Family Edition technically supports GC games, Nintendont works without a problem (didn't try Devolution and Dios/Mios).

No GC ports might be a problem if you want to play with the GC controller, but, in my opinion, Wii Classic Controller (Pro) works great on Nintendont. Actually, in some games, the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo also works fine, for example on Sonic Adventure DX (since it uses a small amount of buttons on the controller), but it's extremely hard to play a game such as Wind Waker.

So, long story short, backup your GC games, put them on your SD or USB, use your desired controller layout and play.

Last edited by SWATlozar,
Reactions: emerald_boy
D

Deleted User

First off, for a family edition wii, can it read gamecube discs? I've had some people say "ofc it can read them, there's just no ports" and others say "it just spits the disc back out, no support for the discs".

Boy from experience i can confirm that it spits gamecube disks back out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk