GCN Gamecube laser replacement

PigVenus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an older gamecube that I bought used. I have a BBA and Viper GC Extreme and originally I wanted to stream games across my network. Well, after finding out that the streaming process isn't as smooth as I hoped, I have gone back to discs.

Problem is, I get a lot of DREs with my backups (even using the Ritek G04 minis). I adjusted the pot and cleaned the lens, but it didn't help much. So now I am looking for a new laser replacement.

Anything I should know before doing this? I am pretty savvy - I've done a couple of modchips and drive replacements, but never the laser part. I am thinking about ordering from here: http://www.keepgaming.com/garelale.html
Anybody know anything about them?

Thanks

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why anyone thinks that Ritek minis are reliable is beyond me. If you have quality scanning software then do a quality scan - you'll be surprised. I shelled out the extra for Verbatim discs and I've had flawless results after the mes that was the Riteks. Don't get a new laser, just get new discs. Trust me on this one.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
groovemeister said:
Why anyone thinks that Ritek minis are reliable is beyond me. If you have quality scanning software then do a quality scan - you'll be surprised. I shelled out the extra for Verbatim discs and I've had flawless results after the mes that was the Riteks. Don't get a new laser, just get new discs. Trust me on this one.

1) People think they are reliable simpy because they are what most cubes will read. When the chips first appeared people tried various media and the ones that worked on most cubes without tweaking the pot were the g04's.

2) I have traxdata minis (g04) from over two years ago , quality scans are fine on them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: But for $20 he will still let you...