GCN Gamecube controller repair

wiimii

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hello just wandered if anyone can help me ? i just bought a pre owned cube , one of the controllers c-stick was acting up , so i took my triwing to take a closer look :

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Is there any chance i can solder this to repair it ? how would i find out were to solder wires to from the connectors 4 solder points to the reverse of the c-stick circuit board please help , and sorry about the quality

thank you in advance , wiimii

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Broken PCB. Not nice but solvable if you know what you are doing.
Luckily this is not a multilayer PCB or you would be in for a long night.

I would suggest using some conductive ink over trying to solder it but the following method would work for either way.

Remake the PCB as best you can (you look like you got lucky), I would use a "backboard" of sorts to reinforce it (it has been a while since I pulled apart a GC controller but you should have enough room) but that is optional.

Scrape the coating from the top of the PCB to reveal the raw copper; your choice on how you do it, I have some chemicals but they are expensive and unpleasant/somewhat dangerous so a knife (just draw the knife over the PCB several times and it should all be revealed).

Join traces with ink or solder (soldering to a trace is hard though), drawing a line is not so difficult. Conductive ink is a bit expensive though.

Method 2.
Redoing the plug and instead of having that push connector in there solder the wires directly. Follow the traces to whatever you need and solder them accordingly (I would choose the solder join over the trace unless you really need to.
Alt method 2.
You can solder the joins of the push connector to whatever you have to instead of the wires, a bit more fiddly but well within reason.

wiimii

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thanks for the help with how to join to the traces , that helps alot , but i still need to know to wich points i have to solder , i mean theres 4 main wires on the plug , so do these 4 wires actually end up tracing through the pcb and end up at its own solder point?

If so wich are the 4 solders points on the pcb that are in question ? does anyone know? because ive taken a closer look but it seems to hard to trace the route back to the solder points .

If and when i find out which solder points i need to be joining then i can start but i have no clue were the traces are leading me , iv looked for some sort of map/pinout of the c-sticks pcb, but so far not found any info on this ,

Anyway thanks again mate , that post was most eye-opening!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All my electrical stuff (beyond what I carry with me) is elsewhere right now so I am not sure how much help but I pulled apart a GC controller.
It is a double sided PCB which is far easier than a multilayer PCB to repair.

2 hi (ish) res PCB shots, the black lines I drew on to highlight the trace, it looks like you will be buying a pen (about £20 when I was in maplins a day or two back, you might just get away with a cheaper throwaway kit (around £6) though).
Judging by mine that must have take some doing to snap that, I am impressed.

I probably should have used a colour other than all black but it works.
The PCB numbering indicates that the black wire is wire 4. Wire 3 (the one immediately below it) goes round in a loop and goes through the PCB by the looks of things to appear as the small trace on the other side.
If these are not enough then I can make more pictures.
gccstick1s.jpg

gccstick2s.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P