Hacking Gamecube Cheats with retail games on Wii

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, I wanted to ask a few questions about this.
What I want is something like Gecko but for the GC. I don't use loaders, isos or anything like that, just the original dvd's.

With Wii games you can use Gecko, and a .GCT file with the codes. Is there something similar but for GC?
I know the existence of several homebrew applications but, I don't know if they're safe, or if they're outdated, like this one:

I also read about Gecko Os Mod. It says it needs to install some IOS, is it safe? do you need it even when you have the normal Gecko running with no problem?

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's safe to say yes this is safe most likely because I have also done this. Not sure about using Gecko Os Mod I have not heard of it before but I will look into it.

Reactions: Maeson

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can convert AR codes into gecko codes, so they can be used the same way as for Wii games. There's a program that can do that, but I forget what it is. Dolphin can do it too.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gecko OS mod doesn't install any IOS or cIOS. Also Gecko OS mod is just NeoGamma without cIOS support, for those people who don't like to use backup loaders.

NeoGamma should be able to run retail gamecube discs with Gecko OS cheats. For that you need to install a cMIOS, which can be any cMIOS, even the oldest without backup support.

Step 1:
Install a cMIOS, like WiiPower's cMIOS. Important detail is the homebrew support of the cMIOS. This cMIOS won't screw in any way with retail games started from the disc channel.
Step 2:
Copy the codes in the Gecko OS format on your sd card. The location should be the same as it is for Gecko OS. (NeoGamma is just a heavily modified Gecko OS)
Step 3:
Launch NeoGamma
Step 4:
Use the right settings in NeoGamma, it should be GC mode internal, gamecube ocarina/cheats on. Also you need to select a working gamecube hooktype, you may need to try all of them, without hook, the codes get loaded into memory, but they don't get patched into the game...
Step 5:
Launch the game

Watch closely what NeoGamma says on screen, stuff like no codes found, codes found etc.

Also, after the GUI version of NeoGamma, a text version should should up telling you some stuff it does. If that text version doesn't show up, you either don't have a cMIOS installed, or the GC mode is not set to internal.

In the textmode NeoGamma launcher, it should say something about the hook. Like i said already, this part is important for codes.

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thank you to you three for all this info!

Neogamma looks interesting, but if, as you said, Gekco Os Mod doesn't need any previous installation and I can run cheats with original dvd's, looks like it's the ideal option.

I'll take a look at Gecko OS Mod.

Thank you.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also use a GC Action Replay with retail GC discs on a Wii so long as you have MIOS v4 or earlier installed.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you to you three for all this info!

Neogamma looks interesting, but if, as you said, Gekco Os Mod doesn't need any previous installation and I can run cheats with original dvd's, looks like it's the ideal option.

I'll take a look at Gecko OS Mod.

Thank you.

Gecko OS mod and NeoGamma do the same with retail discs. For Wii games they can run codes without installing anything, and for gamecube games, they require you to install a cMIOS. But NeoGamma should be a little more up to date.

You can also use a GC Action Replay with retail GC discs on a Wii so long as you have MIOS v4 or earlier installed.

Yes, that's an alternative, if you have a retail disc of GC Action Replay. Some cMIOS use later MIOS as base, and also patch out the Action Replay check, so they work with it as well.

One general thing about MIOS and cMIOS: If you install one, it completely overwrites any other MIOS or cMIOS you have. So you don't have to worry about what you have installed now, and if you want to go back, you can just install any clean MIOS you like.

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
But then, CMios change something inside the Wii? It would "deconfigure" settings or internal data? That's my biggest grip with this Cios, and Mios , etc... I heard of so many Bricks because of this kind of things (Being honest, a good chunk of those complains were because they did things wrong but...).

I guess that if I use Gecko OS, I have already some kind of Cmios?

Sorry for being so freaking noob with this, but it's just curioisity.

Anyways, I tried Gecko OS Mod, and it didn't find the codes. I supposed they go in the Codes folder like the Wii ones, and now it looks like they load but I don't see any change.

I guess i'm doing something wrong trying to convert AR to Wiird Code. I found a " GCN AR to WiiRD Code converter" but I think sometimes it doesn't work like it should do; but it must be my own fault, not the program itself.

Does these AR codes need to be decrypted?
http://bsfree.shadowflareindustries.com/index.php?s=16&d=6&g=6254&c=10888

For example the Master Code when I "transform" it in WiiRD/Gecko Code, it goes from two lines to one. It is normal?

Let's say, Character Modifier : 003ADAEB 00000004 (To play as Knuckles, for example). Curiously enough, that code looks different compared to others....

How do I transform this into a Wiird code? I currently do this:
I use GCNCrypt to "decrypt" this code, which gives me... The exact same thing, 003ADAEB 00000004, and if I use the "Gcn AR to Wiird Converter" to change this AR code to Wiird... It gives me... the same?

I mean, it looks like a WiiRD code, but... if it's supposed to be an AR...
What the fuck. I'm pretty confused now.

I'll understand if you don't want to help, you did enough already. I'm going to mess with this anyways xD.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But then, CMios change something inside the Wii? It would "deconfigure" settings or internal data? That's my biggest grip with this Cios, and Mios , etc... I heard of so many Bricks because of this kind of things (Being honest, a good chunk of those complains were because they did things wrong but...).

I guess that if I use Gecko OS, I have already some kind of Cmios?

Sorry for being so freaking noob with this.

You are using the homebrew channel and Gecko OS? Then you did not need to install any cIOS or cMIOS. And the HBC and Gecko OS never install stuff like that, you need other apps to do that.

IOS, cIOS, MIOS and cMIOS are like the Wii's firmware, and they are stored on the Wii's 512 MB nand flash memory. Only one of those is running at any time, like system menu 4.3 uses IOS80. If that IOS80 is damaged, then the Wii is bricked, or if the sytem menu gets damaged. If you only touch IOS above 100 and MIOS, you can break stuff, but that's always repairable.

So if you would use ModMii to get IOS236 somehow, and then use IOS236 to install a cMIOS, there wouldn't be much of a brick risk. I would strongly recommend to skip any other part of any guide that talks about something else. It's really just start program A, install IOS236. Then start program B, select to use IOS236, and then install the cMIOS.

If your Wii is old enough(1st gen), then you could install BootMii boot2 with the same installer you used for the HBC. If you have that, create a nand backup on your sd card, and your Wii is virtually unbrickable. But beware that there's also BootMii IOS, which gets you next to nothing towards brick protection. I recommend to create a nand backup in this case as well, but unbricking the Wii with that backup involves a hardware nand flasher(=send the Wii to some guy).

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes yes, I do use the Homebrew Channel. It looked like the best option, seeing how easy is to install and how many applications are created to use with it... Or it is something bad about THC?

I should have mentioned it, right?... I assumed everyone had it, but again I must show my stupidity once in a while.

My Wii is one of those packs with NSMB Wii (the red one).
Sorry for wasting so much of your time. And I did a big fail editing my prior post, because when I finished writing there you already answered xD.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The colored versions of the Wii, are the latest versions of uncrippled Wiis as far as i know. So no BootMii boot2, no DVD-R backups, but still gamecube controller and memory card ports, sd card slot and internet support.

There's nothing bad about HBC, it doesn't touch critical parts of the Wii's system.

So you got Gecko OS mod to load the codes into memory? That's a good start. Like i said earlier, you also need the loader to hook into the game. And for that you need a cMIOS, and Gecko OS mod's/NeoGamma's 2nd part/integrated GC loader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT