Gaming GameBooster, anyone use it?

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have $120. I really don't want to buy one that's TOO expensive. I just want a card that can be decent enough to run games without much lag. Like now, I can't even run Magicka. The game loads, and on lowest settings its laggggggy. As long as I can play games on normal settings without lag, I'm good. :)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
To know, you have to open up your tower and look at the motherboard. See if you can find a spare PCI-express slot. If you have a full length one (they come in PCIe x1, x4 and x16 varieties) then it'll work with any modern graphics card. After that you need to check if your tower is a "slimline" model or not to tell if you need a "low profile" graphics card. You should be able to tell just by looking at the width of the tower or not. You should also check the available space inside the tower to make sure you can fit the 10cm or so of a modern graphics card. Finally, check the power supply to make sure it has enough juice to feed your current computer AND a modern graphics card on top. Cheaper Dell PCs tend to only have a minimal wattage PSU, where as you want at least 450W, preferably 550W or more.

If all of the above is fine, then feel free to go ahead and buy it. I could've checked for you, but the effort it takes to look up obscure motherboard names like that... where as all you have to do is open your tower and see for yourself.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To know, you have to open up your tower and look at the motherboard. See if you can find a spare PCI-express slot. If you have a full length one (they come in PCIe x1, x4 and x16 varieties) then it'll work with any modern graphics card. After that you need to check if your tower is a "slimline" model or not to tell if you need a "low profile" graphics card. You should be able to tell just by looking at the width of the tower or not. You should also check the available space inside the tower to make sure you can fit the 10cm or so of a modern graphics card. Finally, check the power supply to make sure it has enough juice to feed your current computer AND a modern graphics card on top. Cheaper Dell PCs tend to only have a minimal wattage PSU, where as you want at least 450W, preferably 550W or more.

If all of the above is fine, then feel free to go ahead and buy it. I could've checked for you, but the effort it takes to look up obscure motherboard names like that... where as all you have to do is open your tower and see for yourself.

Alright, thank you :)
I have a Pavilion Slimline s5713w.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-s5713w-b/15737712
I'll check out my tower when I get the chance.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Back with my old pc, I used GameBooster alot, hell, without it, I wouldn't have been able to play Minecraft without lagging everytime I moved...
But now with my new pc, an i7 2600k and 8GB RAM I have no need for it. I get 200-400 FPS in Minecraft, and it goes without saying all current games work without problems on the best graphics settings available (using GTX 580).

Edit: Fixed typo.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's not bad, it's just not effective. It gives you a button and a list. Add program's and processes to the list and, when you click the button, it will automatically kill them (freeing up resources). Press the button again (when you've stopped gaming) and it will restart them. Use it for pointless things like the myriad of iTunes-associated processes.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
From that, I know 2 things for sure. Firstly, you can't use anything but "low profile" graphics cards. Secondly, you only have a 220W power supply. Generally, that means you can't upgrade - at least not so cheaply.

To upgrade, you need to upgrade your power supply first. This is not that straightforward, as you also have to be aware of the amount of space available inside your PC for the power supply. Once you've upgraded that to at least 500W (I'd prefer 650W), you can then look for low profile graphics cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi