Gaming Game cart file size

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope i misinterpreting it and you don't try to say a blue reay disc are better than flash cards.

when it comes to size, quality is better.

if you take a 8gb card, then you have to sample say audio to a size that will fit.

if you take a 25GB BD you dont have to worry about reducing quaility to fit the disc as much as you would above.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany

if you take a 8gb card, then you have to sample say audio to a size that will fit.

if you take a 25GB BD you dont have to worry about reducing quaility to fit the disc as much as you would above.
What will be likely be smaller, cheaper and more reliable on the long run?
The only reason BD survived is thanks to the ps3. But even them are going to slowly extinguish in the next 5-10 years.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What will be likely be smaller, cheaper and more reliable on the long run?
The only reason BD survived is thanks to the ps3. But even them are going to slowly extinguish in the next 5-10 years.

Ok sure thing, BD is because of the PS3.

You do know Sony and the PS3 was not the creator of BD.... it was a new media format that offered more storage which is why it is now used on both XBX1 and the PS4.

recall why the PS1 CD base format won over the N64 cart base format..... BD is the same, it offers more and is cheaper than flash memory, because the more memory you need for a flash card, the cost goes up higher.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Ok sure thing, BD is because of the PS3.

You do know Sony and the PS3 was not the creator of BD.... it was a new media format that offered more storage which is why it is now used on both XBX1 and the PS4.

recall why the PS1 CD base format won over the N64 cart base format..... BD is the same, it offers more and is cheaper than flash memory, because the more memory you need for a flash card, the cost goes up higher.
Look up prices for bd player around the release of the PS3.
The PS3 was the cheapest BD Player, and thats what the BD saved. The reader is (still) too expensive.

Remamber how big the N64 Cartridges was and it was a self-made format. No standard? You see the problem with the logic?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

xile6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not saying how your putting it, but think of it this way, if a game has few levels, few characters and basic engine then its bound to be small in size.

The bigger the game, the bigger its size, now if your paying £40-£60 which switch is priced for a game thats basically a few levels then wtf!

if this is going to be a console thats charging this price for basically mobile apps then its not good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

no, because technology back then wasnt how it is now.

love nintendo fans, they so blinded by their love that they seem to spin a simple comment off course.

lets all just kindly remind ourself the failure for the wii u, and making a console thats going to have mobile apps priced at £40-£60 is out right stupid.

lets just see if this console can prove itself and be able to compete with todays competition.... reminding that this is actually nintendo's 2nd console during the same generation cycle, it best get its feet stuck firmly into the market or else it wont last come the launch of sony/ms's next consoles..... or will nintendo have to release yet again another system early because they failed to proved the hardware so it was a console to last, not a toy for a few years.

You make no sense. Your still saying price should be base on file size.
Which isnt the right way.
say the bigger the game the bigger it size is.
Thats simply isnt true. "no man sky" is a big worlded game. Tons to see, and the game file is smaller then a 3gb. While gta is pretty big and comes in at around 50gb.
We also have the zelda that is a bigger world then gta (yes the map it out its better then gta, skyrim and a few other games) is only 13gb.

So game size has nothing to do with world size.
It has nothing to do with game play.
You might have a Need for speed game that has a ton of cars and modes and tracks and it weights in a smaller file size then Mario Kart.
Game size has nothing to do with play.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
You make no sense. Your still saying price should be base on file size.
Which isnt the right way.
say the bigger the game the bigger it size is.
Thats simply isnt true. "no man sky" is a big worlded game. Tons to see, and the game file is smaller then a 3gb. While gta is pretty big and comes in at around 50gb.
We also have the zelda that is a bigger world then gta (yes the map it out its better then gta, skyrim and a few other games) is only 13gb.

So game size has nothing to do with world size.
It has nothing to do with game play.
You might have a Need for speed game that has a ton of cars and modes and tracks and it weights in a smaller file size then Mario Kart.
Game size has nothing to do with play.
oh boy yes it does. Did you ever play gta 5 out of the common sense? It has sooooo many easter eggs, secrets to explored only working because of the many textures which.. OH BOY OH BOY are seen in the game size itself!

And please, never again try to compre anything to no man's sky. Not even E.T. for the Atari..

xile6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh boy yes it does. Did you ever play gta 5 out of the common sense? It has sooooo many easter eggs, secrets to explored only working because of the many textures which.. OH BOY OH BOY are seen in the game size itself!

And please, never again try to compre anything to no man's sky. Not even E.T. for the Atari..
lol yea i know no man sky was a big pile of crap.

But what i am saying is the file size doesnt make a game. You can pack in tons of content in a small file size.
And we arent talking about the textures and graphic we are talking about the length and gameplay.

His statement was if its a small game file size that the game has to be crap or a mobile cellphone game with only a few level and short game play.

Which isnt true

Reactions: Quantumcat

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not a toy for a few years.

And *this* is where we failed. Consoles *are toys*...when they *stopped* being that and became...lifestyle choices...that's where we failed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

His statement was if its a small game file size that the game has to be crap or a mobile cellphone game with only a few level and short game play.

Which isnt true

It isn't true *at all*...not even a little bit.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country

Its not what I am constantly told, your lying to me! I'm always been told what a big boy I am?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Bluray is cheaper than flash memory." No, it isn't. It's quite the opposite.
For mass production it is.

I checked a site that offers BD replication services (i.e. professionally mastered discs). For a quantity of 1,000 dual-layer (50 GB) BDs, with Blu-ray case and cover art, the estimated price is $5,130 + $252.20 shipping ($5,382.20 total). That's approximately $5.38 per disc. I can't find any quotes for mask ROM pricing, but an 8 GB MicroSD is around $6.78, and that's just the SD card without box or cover art.

That having been said, using mask ROM has benefits (decreased seek time, no installation), plus it's a proprietary card format, which can't be cracked as easily as disc formats. (Remember that there were LG drives that could be used to read GCN/Wii discs.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +benefits
Reactions: DarthDub

hollowtip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very true and especially some awesome indies like Undertale, Shovel Knight and Shantae that are under a gigabyte.

It depends on the game. Two of the games you mentioned are very simple retro style 2D titles that adopt a graphical retro style. While I don't think 3D game storage sizes need to be ginormous, you can get a rough estimate of how deep or expansive a game experience can be for open world or free roam titles.

A perfect example of a game's install size that reflected the lack of content the game actually offered was No Man's Sky. A 3.4GB initial launch install should have raised a ton of red flags of what we'd be actually getting when number was released to the public.

Last edited by hollowtip,
Reactions: Deleted-379826

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be interesting to see what comes after quad-layer blurays (4k blurays they're calling them or something?). Still your best bet for 4k movies, but I wonder if flash will catch up to the price-point/size of next generation disc.

FF7 on the psone was 3 disc long but total size like something like 1.2gb
So your telling me if that game came to the switch it would be shovelware because its a small file size??

That makes no sense. Its not the size of the game but the game itself.
I recall hearing the main reason they spanned so many disc were the cut-scenes. The disc had all basically the same data, except for cut-scenes unique to the scenarios on that disc.

It depends on the game. Two of the games you mentioned are very simple retro style 2D titles that adopt a graphical retro style. While I don't think 3D game storage sizes need to be ginormous, you can get a rough estimate of how deep or expansive a game experience can be for open world or free roam titles.

A perfect example of a game's install size that reflected the lack of content the game actually offered was No Man's Sky. A 3.4GB initial launch install should have raised a ton of red flags of what we'd be actually getting when number was released to the public.

No Man's Sky could have been amazing at that size, though. That was the selling point, the auto-generation of levels rather than storage of pre-made levels. That is what they were selling. 'course they apparently weren't able to deliver, but it's perfectly possible that small file sizes could still result in a properly diverse huge game. The game mechanics of no man's land are of the shittiest of qualities, and I can't help but wonder what kind of game we would have had were it in capable hands.

Last edited by osaka35,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
can you imagine that tho, paying for a game thats just over 1gb which is equivalent or less than a game you get for free on mobile devices.
File size has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of a game. Tons of great games on Steam that come in at less than 1gb. Even more that come in at less than 5gb.

hollowtip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Man's Sky could have been amazing at that size, though. That was the selling point, the auto-generation of levels rather than storage of pre-made levels. That is what they were selling. 'course they apparently weren't able to deliver, but it's perfectly possible that small file sizes could still result in a properly diverse huge game. The game mechanics of no man's land are of the shittiest of qualities, and I can't help but wonder what kind of game we would have had were it in capable hands.

We've had games that were able to create procedullary generated levels since the 80's. It was just an over hyped gimmick that NMS used a proprietary algorithm that still couldn't fill the game world with enough original assets to make each planet as unique as they advertised. It's like letting a kid play in a giant Lego playground with 50 lego pieces instead of the 500 that is required to fill the game world properly and not experience déjà vu.

Last edited by hollowtip,

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
I would never say the file size represent a game, but if i would get a GTA 6 with only 10GB of used space, than i knew there is something wishy.
Based on the game the file size can represent many aspects of the game. Graphic quality, variatity, and things like that.
Soo.. it's not like it doesn't say anything about a game.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I would never say the file size represent a game, but if i would get a GTA 6 with only 10GB of used space, than i knew there is something wishy.
Based on the game the file size can represent many aspects of the game. Graphic quality, variatity, and things like that.
Soo.. it's not like it doesn't say anything about a game.
The thing is there are games with better graphics than GTA5 that still suck. There are sandboxes bigger than GTA5 that still suck. Nothing keeps a developer from creating a very large, very shiny game that's utter garbage gameplay-wise. So like I said, it's on a game-by-game basis, judging anything based on file size alone is impossible.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
The thing is there are games with better graphics than GTA5 that still suck. There are sandboxes bigger than GTA5 that still suck. Nothing keeps a developer from creating a very large, very shiny game that's utter garbage gameplay-wise. So like I said, it's on a game-by-game basis, judging anything based on file size alone is impossible.
Never sayed on the file size alone, but it has much to say on its own.

xile6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So then ff7 was even smaller and it was still a great game
So very true.
There are games that have all these textures and everything is so over HD that they might have used 10gb just on making grass. But the game itself has very little game play and might be beaten in 3 hours.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1