Gaming Game cart file size

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Wind Waker HD is only 1.8GB. It's not quite 1GB but it's close. And that's one of the longest Zelda games and also has great looking graphics.
Wind Waker use simple tricks. The game feels long because you have far ways from point a to b to a to c and so on. Toonish Graphics aren't that impressive. The used effects on that graphics are truely great.
http://imgur.com/gallery/ib8nW that would be really great graphics.
WW itself is actually a short game if you could instantly port to the next needed place. That's an open world problem, if you dont have really much side quests.

Totally flawed logic at its best and you really should know better since its you do that for a living ^^. Compression is a thing that exist you know.
Many games "itself" arent even that big in size. Much of the size comes from uncompressed videos in several languages or just uncompressed data.
Ahhh yes and no. Compressen is a thing, mostly for console games. Why? What do you think uncompressing takes most? Right! Ram & CPU. Somewhere we have to store all the uncompressed files. RAM! Right.
Why more on consoles and not on pc? Where do you think it is easier to get to the uncompressed files in ram?
Yeah, Videos and Sound Files are mostly that what does take much space. But also high poly models.
But game Xalso has files .Y on pc. There you more or less have archived files instead of compressed. Something like a 7z file on the lowest setting and few bytes changed on the result so you can't open it with 7z.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh yes and no. Compressen is a thing, mostly for console games. Why? What do you think uncompressing takes most? Right! Ram & CPU. Somewhere we have to store all the uncompressed files. RAM! Right.
Why more on consoles and not on pc? Where do you think it is easier to get to the uncompressed files in ram?
This seems right. I/O on consoles is super limited. The worse your I/O limits, the more time data compression will save. It also depends on compressibility of your data, but most data you need to load (pictures, character models, sounds) is fairly compressible. Also you will find putting multiple files into an archive file saves loading time because it avoids seeking. You will find games with at least one version that comes on optical media, which incurs a huge seek penalty, use this strategy. Often you will find the same file within multiple different archive files because each archive file is targeted at a given loading situation.

Even when RAM is limited, it makes sense to use data compression for the file image of your game. Once decompressed, the compressed copy within RAM can be deleted. PSP RAM is super limited. But I/O from the UMD is even more limited than RAM is, so you see data compression used in most games to speed up loading.

Decompressing data is not very hard on the CPU, and is very fast. You need around 10 instructions (40 cycles) on PSP to decompress 1 byte of data, and the PSP processor runs at 200 million cycles per second. Decompressing 1MB of data you would need 40 million cycles (0.2 seconds). On modern processors, you need less instructions because there are special instructions that can handle many bytes at once. Also, modern processors need about the same number of cycles per one instruction, but are clocked much higher. To make up for that, they have bigger RAMs meaning more data needs to be decompressed (usually). It ends up being about the same.

32GB carts for the Switch. But that's an "up to" figure. I'm pretty sure there are smaller carts available if you don't need all 32GB, and the reason to use a smaller one is that empty carts of smaller size cost less.

Not sure how many polys are in character models, but assume 30,000. For each poly there 3 vertices and three numbers for each vertex. There are other numbers associated with each poly of a model too, but I don't know what they all are. If you assume 20 numbers per poly, you end up with 600,000 numbers for one model, which usually could be stored in that many bytes. Then you need the texture image, normal map image, and specular map image which specify how the polys should be colored. Compare that to video, which is 30 or 60 images per second, but compression algorithms to reduce the size a lot. I don't do 3D modeling, someone who knows more care to correct me on this? 3D model data ends up being a lot smaller, even if you have many characters and objects in the scene.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok sure thing, BD is because of the PS3.

You do know Sony and the PS3 was not the creator of BD.... it was a new media format that offered more storage which is why it is now used on both XBX1 and the PS4.

recall why the PS1 CD base format won over the N64 cart base format..... BD is the same, it offers more and is cheaper than flash memory, because the more memory you need for a flash card, the cost goes up higher.
But blu-ray seek times are ungodly slow, especially on first generation BD devices like the PS3. That's why so many ps3 games had forced installs.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Totally flawed logic at its best. Even if you do this for a living (thought in that case you really should know better as what you are writing).
Many games "itself" arent even that big in size. Much of the size comes from uncompressed videos in several languages or just uncompressed data.

But i guess you know it all better since you do that for a living. By the way why even mention it now or do you just try to say you are better after several failed attempts to proof others wrong ^^

PS: From now on i guess only 100GB Games with 50GB Day one patch are really worth it ^^.

Oh i know how computers (or consoles in this case) work. :P
Still that doesn't have anything to do with the price of a game ;)

Last edited by nIxx,

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Oh i know how computers (or consoles in this case) work. :P
Still that doesn't have anything to do with the price of a game ;)
yes, yes it does. If the used models / textures was bought, you will see the price for them also slightly go into the app price itself

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
game size is more often than not dictated by the amount of high res textures it ships with, not functional content, so i tend to ignore it as a metric of overall gameplay value

Reactions: Quantumcat

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Im expecting them to be 64GB , its not like they are going to create a +32GB game , after all , even if they create a game that is higher than the file size of the cartridge , they could just do one with more capacity (Like what happened with Pokemon BW2)

Reactions: Noctosphere

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally flawed logic at its best and you really should know better since its you do that for a living ^^. Compression is a thing that exist you know.

Were you confused, drunk or both when you typed this? It seems like you are arguing the wrong point/person/thing.

No one ships uncompressed video. You are talking out of your ass here, son.

But i guess you know it all better since you do that for a living.

It certainly helps, yes.

By the way why even mention it now or do you just try to make a point after several failed attempts to proof others wrong ;)

Whether or not I convince random people on, lol, GBATemp, of anything related to industry knowledge, standards or practices is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if people like it, believe it or anything else. Most people have no *actual knowledge* but repeat things they've read and in many cases, clearly do not understand.

PS: From now on i guess only 100GB Games with 50GB Day one patch are really worth it ^^.

Again, idiot, you are arguing against the wrong person...and the wrong point as well. :)

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But blu-ray seek times are ungodly slow, especially on first generation BD devices like the PS3. That's why so many ps3 games had forced installs.
PS3 had forced installs because it is always faster to load off a HDD than it is off any optical drive, also saves strain on the drives.

Thats why games have to install these days for faster load times.

end of the day i dont like nintendo for lacking games i want to play, i find it a rip off if your paying £280 for a last gen console with a BS controller and find your paying £40+ for apps.

which you found the wii had shed loads of the same ol basic app like games.

time will tell.... its not like the Cube was the start of lacking games for me, the wii and the wii u was worse and why..... because its nintendo its a childs play thing, and sorry to those that some how think it has the best exclusives.... mario is basically thing and very repetetive even down to its basic story.

I guess nintendo is like marmite, you either like it or dont.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey