G6DS Real Review

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're mistaken. I'm not talking about autobooting a file. I'm talking about how the G6DSR is booted itself. See the first part of the OS video tour for a demonstration.right]

Ah so you are - that'll teach me to read properly.. :>

Balraj : from the official site -

"10) Default.nds file runs automatically under TF directory, it maybe temporarily hidden in the main menu while pressing B key to turn DsLite on; Pressing X key to delete this file if there is unneccessary to have it run automatically."

So, name your file default.nds I've not tried it but I would assume it works.

I don't like the implementation of action replay support in the g6. I'm not a huge fan of the database solution the r4/m3 has but it's far preferable to cheat files named as per the header. "rom name.cht" would have been best (and a seperate CHEAT dir to keep things tidy too ;> ).

I do like the ability to have two save backups though.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey shaunj,

I haven't started work on my review yet but I have been using the G6DS real for a while now. Something I noticed in your review was that you gave every game the all clear on running flawlessly. Now this could be my sample (though I doubt that, especially since I tested the same dump with my M3DS simply without problems), but with me the dump of pokemon diamond does not work perfectly!! You can get to the point where you should be able to start walking (you can see the TV screen in the beginning and it fades away) but no further.

With my sample the game DOES NOT work properly (tested with both versions of the OS). Again this could be my sample, but please (I urge you!) check this out.

Cheers,
Scorpei

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Scorpei:

I tested Pokémon a lot. It definitely gets into the game for me, right into battles. I'm using Diamond. Did you try G6DSR loader 1.1?

Not sure what's wrong for you. Could be your cart.. :/

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Scorpei:

I tested Pokémon a lot. It definitely gets into the game for me, right into battles. I'm using Diamond. Did you try G6DSR loader 1.1?

Not sure what's wrong for you. Could be your cart.. :/
Hmm, strange. I've tested it with both versions of the loader, both my DS-es and tested the dump on different cards. I guess my card is indeed faulty (though other games work perfectly fine..., this one too however not fully).

p.s. Thanks for testing.

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Balraj : from the official site -

"10) Default.nds file runs automatically under TF directory, it maybe temporarily hidden in the main menu while pressing B key to turn DsLite on; Pressing X key to delete this file if there is unneccessary to have it run automatically."

So, name your file default.nds I've not tried it but I would assume it works.

Ha, I've never known this feature to exist for R4.

I tried it with moonshell, and it works! Pressing B while booting the R4 will disable this feature, just want to clear up R4's words.

THeLL

Trophies
Website
www.acekard3ds.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
G6 Team (Danny) promised me to send any future products to me to review them but I haven't heard from them since >< He doesn't even respond to my e-mails anymore. Turns out the aren't speaking the truth about more things than just specs of the G6 Real !

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
9? That's pretty high for something not that special...

I agree. Let me start off though by saying this is a great review and is very much worthy to be on this site. I do however have a few things I think could be improved upon and could if you wish be taken as constructive criticism.

It's late on the market and it's a successor to something that is exactly the same. Giving this a 9 now, is saying this should be purchased while in fact their previous device (m3 simple/r4) which is most likely cheaper would be the better buy.

Also, although I can imagine not everyone agreeing with this, I think that when the same product is released 4 months later doing the exact same thing, this is actually a bad thing and should impact the score negatively.

Something else to keep in mind are uncertainties like price. The fact is that the price is not known. In this case this is a very large factor of importance as it has no features that make it stand out. If this turns out to be $80 for 1gb (a little less than double that of an R4 1gb which does the exact same thing), would you still agree with giving it a 9?

I can understand the need to release a review as soon as possible due to the pressure from everyone wanting information, but does it benefit any buyer if they can't even purchase the product yet? So in this case labeling it a preview would perhaps have been better.

And DLDI. Although I agree it is quite likely we'll see support for this quite soon, fact is that we don't know. If this takes another 3 months, do you still stand by the 9? With this in mind you should review the product as is (without DLDI support) and perhaps make a note that it's very likely that it will be added in the future. Example: 8.0 (would be an 8.5 when they add DLDI support)).

Again I will say, great review. I'm very thankful for the time you put into writing it. I hope my comments are of any use for future reviews.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I figured I'd post this separately since it addresses a different problem. I am displeased with the G6 team's recent efforts. It basically comes down to two things.

They are releasing a new product, claiming it to be better on several occasions before release, while in fact it does the exact same thing as their previous model (even though this might change with later patches, but I'm addressing the current situation). This should not be awarded with customer purchase because if you let that happen it only leads to a regular model of new but essentially unchanged product releases. Why this is bad, also happens the second thing I'm discontent with.

What is really new here? It seems most functionality comes from the software side of things. Are they convincing me to upgrade from an old M3 or G6 lite to a m3 simple or g6 real because of the software-side added cheat support? A new product gets released and the support for the old product dies down.

Why I think this is a big deal? People are ready to jump on board with the latest piece of hardware for g6, just because of what it promises but actually doesn't deliver. The g6 team has certainly had it's range of good products so we were all quite ready to believe the hype but it didn't deliver. And if people start buying it regardless, product support for the old products will die down, while it is quite likely that the same functionality could have been sustained without anyone having to buy a new product.

I hope they prove me wrong and for instance provide the g6 lite with the same menu enhancements as the g6 real. And even though I am being quite negative here, I do have to give them props for maintaining proper support for the latest rom releases on their old products.

Everything might just be fine with a patch release or two, but I guess my advice comes down to only one thing: don't buy a product on what it promises to deliver, since it'll only be bad for you in the long run.

Reikon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see any compelling reason to get this over a R4. It doesn't seem to offer anything new that's important.

By the way, does anybody know how much it costs? I can't seem to find a price...

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Meh, I don't know how it received 9/10, as it apparently isn't the best card on the market ... looks like R4 + EZ 3-in-1 is still the way to go.
wink.gif

P.S.: How do you autoboot a file on R4?

SPiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been in the market for a slot 1 card for a few weeks now. I was waiting for this review to see if the G6 was worth it...
Anyway I just ordered an R4 and a 2gig MicroSd. I can't wait.
rofl2.gif

meepmeep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion the lack of a DLDI-driver is a huge disadvantage compared to other cards. That's probably because I find myself using homebrew software more than commercial roms nowadays.

With that noted, another excellent review from the gbatemp team.

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think this part should be under question.
- Non-expandable, removable memory
Should this really be in the "Cons" seeing as alot of members find that as a Pro? Maybe a neutral? It just might be me though. At least they're not only giving 4G internal right?

It should be on both:

Cons-
- Non-expandable, removable memory

Pros-
-Built in memory, no need for removable memory

I agree, on other reviews this would be listed as a con. Personally I feel it's a pro/neutral.

The cheat function is nice and maybe the reviewer is fond of his G6. I know I am and would make me hold this product a little higher. Based on the review and feature list, I would give the product a 8/8.5. The GUI needs an update from the G6, it seems a bit dated.

Hopefully other cards follow suit and add the Action Replay Cheats. That is a very nice addition. Also the soft-reset built into the GUI is a good feature.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

I agree. Let me start off though by saying this is a great review and is very much worthy to be on this site. I do however have a few things I think could be improved upon and could if you wish be taken as constructive criticism.

It's late on the market and it's a successor to something that is exactly the same. Giving this a 9 now, is saying this should be purchased while in fact their previous device (m3 simple/r4) which is most likely cheaper would be the better buy.

Also, although I can imagine not everyone agreeing with this, I think that when the same product is released 4 months later doing the exact same thing, this is actually a bad thing and should impact the score negatively.

Something else to keep in mind are uncertainties like price. The fact is that the price is not known. In this case this is a very large factor of importance as it has no features that make it stand out. If this turns out to be $80 for 1gb (a little less than double that of an R4 1gb which does the exact same thing), would you still agree with giving it a 9?

I can understand the need to release a review as soon as possible due to the pressure from everyone wanting information, but does it benefit any buyer if they can't even purchase the product yet? So in this case labeling it a preview would perhaps have been better.

And DLDI. Although I agree it is quite likely we'll see support for this quite soon, fact is that we don't know. If this takes another 3 months, do you still stand by the 9? With this in mind you should review the product as is (without DLDI support) and perhaps make a note that it's very likely that it will be added in the future. Example: 8.0 (would be an 8.5 when they add DLDI support)).

Again I will say, great review. I'm very thankful for the time you put into writing it. I hope my comments are of any use for future reviews.

well R4/M3 both got 9/10 too. G6 is basically the same but with a different loader, extra features -PDA, Media functionality.
DLDI is lacking, but i remember them promising that they will release a driver.
One good side of internal memory is that you doon't need to worry about getting a good quality MicroSD card. Plus non-expandable memory isnt muc hof a minus since microSD's max out at 2gb, and those have worse performance than the 1 gb and flash memory.

So i i don't think 9/10 is inaccurate. at the least 8.5. But Of course a final conclusion can't be made until it's commercially available.

So it´s basically like "R4DS minus MicroSD issues"?

that's what it looks like, except i've never had any "MicroSD issues" yet. knock on wood

I hope the M3 DS Real is really "Real" and can play .gba files.

It won't. I hate people continually suggesting that new slot ones will play gba. You need a slot 2 expansion and g6/m3 team never ever said they would release one. It's just a bunch of idiots who suggested that it might be a feature.

Thumbs up for the informative Review Guys!

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
Great review.
Seems like a solid product, but doesnt seem to offer anything that revolutionary.
The biggest question I have concerns the price. This doesnt do much that my DS-X doesnt do (cheats, which I dont want, although the soft reset would be nice) but Id like to think that this would be a more reasonable price than the DS-X.

according to this review, g6r has perfect compatibility

ds-x doesn't (*cough expensive garbage *cough)

monkeey2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

First post from me.

I read the comments on here and felt like the G6 Real needed someone on their side. I guess most of you guys are PRO R4/M3. I have used the R4 and I have to say it is a good product. But We have to keep in mind the G6 Real may not be targeted towards you guys specifically.

New customers are entering the market constantly for flash carts. (alot of them probably not as tech savvy as you guys) If I had to recommend one, I may just point towards the G6 Real. I for one haven't bought any flash carts yet, I've been waiting patiently for a good product to come along that I find worth purchasing. This is probably going to be it.

I was going to get the R4, but I started to read about the issues with the MicroSD slot getting jammed (A headache I wasn't ready to jump into as I had a friend who's spring jammed on his) . I then thought about the DS-x, but the size and price and lack of support was daunting. I was about to spring for the 2GB ds-x, but luckily the G6 Real review came out.

Coming from the point of view where I have yet to own a cart or for someone that's been holding onto an older flash cart waiting for something better, I think this is a good cart and definitely worth the 9/10 score given to it.

It may not bring drastic change to the market, but it does everything we could need from a solid flash cart. It's all inclusive no extra microSD card needed, no protruding usb slots sticking out of the cart, solid build, all the tools other carts have (mp3 support, movies etc) strong team behind it and hopefully a competitive price.

DS-x and R4 both got 9's .. Since G6 Real does all the things those two carts do, but IMO more conveniently, I find no reason that this isn't a 9/10 and possible recommendation for purchase. Giving it anything less would mean its inferior, which I must disagree with.

Great review I'm sold!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: