Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

G6DS Real Review

Official GBAtemp Review

I've just finished the review of the G6DS Real, the new slot 1 flash kit from the G6 Team.
First announced over 4 months ago, the G6DS Real had been in development for quite a while. Was this time well spent, or have other manufacturers beaten the G6 team to the punch? Read our review to find out!

icon11.gif
G6DS Real GBAtemp.net Review

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Once again, excellent review shaun
wink.gif

Congratulations, you know you'll never cease to amaze me!

Plus this time I wasn't really helpful as I'm overwhelmed by homework...

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it's more like the ''G6 unreal'' We promis 100% download play but it's unreal
tongue.gif

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think this part should be under question.
QUOTE said:
- Non-expandable, removable memory
Should this really be in the "Cons" seeing as alot of members find that as a Pro? Maybe a neutral? It just might be me though. At least they're not only giving 4G internal right?

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Personally, I think this part should be under question.
QUOTE said:
Should this really be in the "Cons" seeing as alot of members find that as a Pro? Maybe a neutral? It just might be me though. At least they're not only giving 4G internal right?

It should be on both:

Cons-
QUOTE said:

Pros-QUOTE
-Built in memory, no need for removable memory

alanchiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great review.
Seems like a solid product, but doesnt seem to offer anything that revolutionary.
The biggest question I have concerns the price. This doesnt do much that my DS-X doesnt do (cheats, which I dont want, although the soft reset would be nice) but Id like to think that this would be a more reasonable price than the DS-X.

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks for the review Shaun
smile.gif

A couple of questions though: Do you have to enter the pre-boot settings screen every time when launching a game? Or you just have to do it once?

How does it feel when inserting the card into the DS? I.e. smooth or not?

---

Just my $0.02. For a device without any street price yet, I do think the final verdict remains to be seen.

kris_verbeke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice review. I'm still waiting for the M3 Real to come out before I decide which slot1 card to buy.
But if the M3 Real is the same as this product, but then with removable memory, I don't really see the advantage of it. How is this card better than the current M3 Simply/R4 products? It seems to have the same disadvantage: imperfect download play.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Unlike other flash kits, the G6DS Real solves the simple problem of how the cart boots by providing you with two options. You can either have the G6DS Real set to auto boot when you turn on your DS and bypass the main DS menu, or you can set it up so it acts like a regular DS game and appears in the main menu. This is a nice feature for people with differing preferences, and is the first flash kit to offer this option.

Well, technically the R4/M3 got it first, as they have had it since the last firmware revision.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
Unlike other flash kits, the G6DS Real solves the simple problem of how the cart boots by providing you with two options. You can either have the G6DS Real set to auto boot when you turn on your DS and bypass the main DS menu, or you can set it up so it acts like a regular DS game and appears in the main menu. This is a nice feature for people with differing preferences, and is the first flash kit to offer this option.

Well, technically the R4/M3 got it first, as they have had it since the last firmware revision.

You're mistaken. I'm not talking about autobooting a file. I'm talking about how the G6DSR is booted itself. See the first part of the OS video tour for a demonstration.
QUOTE(kris_verbeke @ Apr 24 2007, 05:07 PM)a big disadvantge i think is that tiny battery. eventually it will run dry.
It's not a battery, it's a rechargable capacitor.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems this product doesn't bring much to the table that hasn't been done already and once again it comes down to the question of price. It's a shame that people feel the need for action replay support. There are legitimate uses of it such as viewing content that cannot be seen under normal circumstances such as the case Mario Kart DS and it's unfinished and left out tracks but for the most part it's just for those that think that the game they stole is too difficult.

Quite frankly, I don't like that writer much at all as well and prefer the DS-X's built-in usb port. But I'm sure a major plus to this product over the DS-X is updates. The G6/M3 guys provided, and still provide, many quick updates when needed. DS-X updates however have taken an extremely long time to be released when needed which isn't often, to be fair. The part that really gets me is when their latest update hit with the DS-X skin apps that almost never work. They release them to try to interest people into delving into the skinning system which is more than complex compared to the average flash kit and they do that by releasing something that doesn't actually work.

Meanwhile M3/G6 goes as far as adding cheat support as well as soft reset and if you look back to their previous carts you can get a feel for what they might bring to the table later on with this kit. They've drastically improved their slot 2 carts with a firmware and pc update; not with a brand new cart as other groups have done. They've created a set of small applications as a PDA package. And while I'm not totally sure if they were first with this one, but they did manage a way to play an NDS game with a GBA game into the device memory for the NDS-GBA link feature.

Well, I went way off topic here I think so I'll get back on it.

The review was well written, laid out and thorough. Extra points for flash vids.
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it