Hacking G6 vs M3 - which should I get?

HeyYoWL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so I have a brand new black DS Lite, and I'm still deciding over which of these 2 to get. I want it primarily for NDS, GBA, & and homebrew compatibility. From what I've read, the biggest difference between the 2 is that the G6 has built in 512MB RAM, while the M3 uses Mini-SD. In terms of compatibility, M3 is not so good for homebrew though it can run the Opera Browser unlike the G6. But running emulated games on the G6 gives u only 1 filename? Does that only apply to stuff like old GB games, and not GBA? Besides these things, is there anything that really separates these 2 kits? I don't care about money, I just care about compatibility and quality, which should I get?

CrEsPo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The G6 is known to have one of the highest compatibility with NDS ROM's. Saying that, the M3 can play NDS ROMS fine and if you're at all interested in homebrew I would get the M3 rather than the G6 since the G6 is probably the worst card for homebrew.

Another thing to note is that the M3 is built with more quality than the G6, though you get what you pay for.

oteck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a little correction, the m3 uses MIRCO SD not MINI SD. Just making sure you don't buy the wrong one if you decide to go that route

HeyYoWL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ahh ok then! Thanks for the help! Is the M3 easy enough to setup? I had a headache trying to get the Super Card Lite Rumble to work for my gf, since it came with no software or manual. =\

CrEsPo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There's nothing complicated about either the M3 Lite or the G6 Lite. With both you just patch the ROM with desired settings and that's it. As for initial setup, you just put the M3 Lite/G6 Lite in your NDS Lite and that's it.

Which ever route you go, it would be wise to upgrade the firmware for better game support. Upgrading your firmware is just as easy as playing a ROM
wink.gif

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing complicated about either the M3 Lite or the G6 Lite. With both you just patch the ROM with desired settings and that's it. As for initial setup, you just put the M3 Lite/G6 Lite in your NDS Lite and that's it.

Which ever route you go, it would be wise to upgrade the firmware for better game support. Upgrading your firmware is just as easy as playing a ROM
wink.gif

Where are the firmware updates for the M3? Their website's download page doesn't specify what is for what card.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a G6 lite and I have had zero problems with it. Mind you, I don't use that much homebrew. I've heard it's not stellar with homebrew. But if you're looking for something to play GBA and NDS roms then you can't go wrong with G6 lite. The interface is really nice and you actually get to see the icons for the games instead of just text.

I have no idea how good the M3 is, but you have my endorsement for the G6 lite!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BakerMan, Interesting trivia about dictionaries and Psi, I'm a direct descendant of the guy... +1