Hacking Funniest thing about Gateway bricking consoles...

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah. They are selling the hardware. But the software is free.

Which brings another point... Why go though that much effort to protect something that your giving away?
They tried to make competitors look bad, but they didn't think people would find out it was they who wrote the kill code. They thought thant only that their competitor's software would appear unreliable and dangerous

Reactions: Cyberdrive

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. They are selling the hardware. But the software is free.

Which brings another point... Why go though that much effort to protect something that your giving away?
Do you guys generally make it habit to completely miss the point? I guess that's what I get for arguing with people on the internet. Lesson learned.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you guys generally make it habit to completely miss the point? I guess that's what I get for arguing with people on the internet. Lesson learned.
Take a deep breath my friend, this is the internet. If you take it too seriously you're gonna have a bad time.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I emailed the R4 guys earlier today asking if their 4.0 update would not be directly based on Gateway's 2.0 update, if they'll start doing their own work, and if the Blue Screen error would be fixed. This is the response I received:

We are working for a solution for blue screen issue at the moment....

Yes, the coming new firmware V4.0 will be developed totally by our own code, which is safe and come with itself menu system and new features...Thanks for your understanding anyway..

Let's hope this actually ends up being the case.

Reactions: Cyberdrive

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I emailed the R4 guys earlier today asking if their 4.0 update would not be directly based on Gateway's 2.0 update, if they'll start doing their own work, and if the Blue Screen error would be fixed. This is the response I received:

Can't say I trust them though since I'm pretty sure they were claiming the old code was already their own even when everyone knew it wasn't. But hey, if they do actually start doing their own work and make progress for the scene then awesome.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Indeed. I'd be willing to support them if they start doing their own work. It would take a LONG time to start from scratch and and provide people with a reasonable number of features on par with Gateway, though. I feel like they're much more likely to just start selling flash carts under a different name with a more thoroughly modified GW launcher.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be unhappy with a modified MT Card firmware, ~just saying.

The R4 team has never actually said the ripped-off Gateway firmware was their own code, so people saying that are just adding flame to hell's fire. That snowball ain't gonna last to long in that.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4 team has never actually said the ripped-off Gateway firmware was their own code
I wish I had it booked marked so I could post it here, but I have seen quoted e-mails from R4i support claiming that it was original code. They may not have outright said it on their website, but they have said it before.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be unhappy with a modified MT Card firmware, ~just saying.

The R4 team has never actually said the ripped-off Gateway firmware was their own code, so people saying that are just adding flame to hell's fire. That snowball ain't gonna last to long in that.
MT card is based on GW firmware too. Just earlier versions of it. Hard to say whether they'll have the capability to update it all on their own.

yabbitboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Both R4i and Gateway are at fault in this. Gateway made an stupid decision, destroying consoles of people who bought from their competitors. Worst part is that with this they lost potential buyers, which could switch to Gateway in the future but instead had their handheld bricked.

I doubt r4i users would switch to Gateway as they are too expensive. R4i users would most likely switch to 3dslink or Orange as they are very cheap flashcarts, and also to assume that the users dont know that R4i / Orange / 3dslink are the same.

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
This is actually serious business, and VERY different from situations in the past.

-Wii scene: Bricks happened, but everything homebrew wise was software only, no need to buy ANYTHING.
-PSP scene: same situation, when Dark_Alex's CFW got modified, but even THEN, it was still a free software-ONLY CFW.

In the PS3 scene, although true blue was sold, True blue didnt KILL other competitors. Not sure if they stole their code, but i bet they did, cuz they were clones. But in the end, there was a legit dongle, and clones, and NO KILLSWITCH.

Now, all of a sudden Gateway revolutionizes the situation. Legit or clone flashcart, u actually have to fork up the dough to get either one of them. You're paying, and still , u can get your shit bricked, just because their way of seeing things is different.

The truth is, what GW did is unheard of, and morally pathetic. In the end, i AM ditching my clone for a GW in the near future, but ONLY because i dont want to kill my 3DS.

Lucky bastards, operating in China.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap do we need 10,000 threads about the same thing? If you have something relevant to say, say it in a thread that is already here. Sheesh.

On here, absolutely, I mean, were would we be without the influx of said threads? But in seriousness, this repetitious shit is getting old fast.

Reactions: Ryft

kirokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually serious business, and VERY different from situations in the past.

-Wii scene: Bricks happened, but everything homebrew wise was software only, no need to buy ANYTHING.
-PSP scene: same situation, when Dark_Alex's CFW got modified, but even THEN, it was still a free software-ONLY CFW.

In the PS3 scene, although true blue was sold, True blue didnt KILL other competitors. Not sure if they stole their code, but i bet they did, cuz they were clones. But in the end, there was a legit dongle, and clones, and NO KILLSWITCH.

Now, all of a sudden Gateway revolutionizes the situation. Legit or clone flashcart, u actually have to fork up the dough to get either one of them. You're paying, and still , u can get your shit bricked, just because their way of seeing things is different.

The truth is, what GW did is unheard of, and morally pathetic. In the end, i AM ditching my clone for a GW in the near future, but ONLY because i dont want to kill my 3DS.

Lucky bastards, operating in China.

So is pirating, just sayin.

katsup

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up next, Gateway has a way to unbrick the 3DS, but requires you to buy their flashcart or some new device.

I am staying legit until the end of the 3DS's life cycle.

Reactions: Arras

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendo would never do that, as it would hurt their reputation so bad, they wouldn't survive.

To be honest, there is absolutely nothing funny about purposely destroying other peoples property...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Seamen :D
    +1
    mmmm those scrumptious tadpoles :wub:
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @AncientBoi did your phone autocorrect assholes to tadpoles?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats child abuse
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Could you imagine if these abortion activist said that sperm was a life, and you could not destroy or eat.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Is swallowing considered cannibalism?
    +2
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: by their standards, yes
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey got a couple free tickets the Memorial Golf tournament here in Dublin Ohio close to me, and I hate golf, so I asked couple neighbors if they wanted them, and 2 dif neighbors have started a bidding war, they are up to $75 for both so far, lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just can't get into golf, boring to me. I'd rather go drown some worms.
    +1
    $75.01 :teach:
    +1
    Take whatever for them, playing golf is fun.... Watching golf at home is relaxing, watching golf in person? Why ...
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was gonna just give away, but they both started bidding more than other, so ill take it
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like ill have steak on the grille tonight for free.
    +3
    Tube? :shy::blush::evil:
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Games are getting huge nowdays, like 125gb a game (4k games anyways). I feel sorry for players that only have a 512gb hd. (Series S)
    +1
    It's fine just stream the game! Lol
    +1
    I wonder if that was the point of game streaming
    But it's a dead end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, people who cant download it can still play the game
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, people who cant download it can still play the game